Five go to RHS Wisley

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Five go to RHS Wisley

Post by Francis »

Moonraker wrote:
Francis wrote:On the 11th August at Wisley there will be a 'Picnic Party' celebrating Enid's 120th birthday - I will be there with my ginger beer and sandwiches. Hope some other forumites can make it.
We are staying in Surbiton for a week or so around that date. If we can make it, I will PM you Francis. :D
That would be great Nigel - Wisley is a lovely place to be in August.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Francis wrote:Went to Wisley today and there is a lovely grass sculpture of the Famous Five - made from moss on a frame. A women asked me if I had heard of Enid Blyton and the Famous Five! We then had a good discussion about our favourite books.
Joking aside...IS there such a person above a certain age (say above 30!) who hasn't heard of the Famous Five?! :shock:
I think the subtext is "'do you approve of Enid Blyton?". They were delighted when I told then I was a member of the Enid Blyton Society and became much more talkative.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Courtenay wrote:That sounds like fun — thanks for sharing, Nigel. I live only about an hour's drive from RHS Wisley and loved it the one time I visited — maybe I should go some time this summer! :D Hmmm, and maybe a review for the end-of-year issue of the Journal... :wink:

Is there anyone else from the Society who could get there some time? I can't guarantee a meet-up, as my work schedule varies each week and I can't yet be sure which days I could go, but I'd love to meet other EB fans there if it turns out to be possible at all. :D
It would be great if you can make Wisley , Courtenay - you won't regret it. There are plenty of places for picnics but I haven't found a 'secret way' yet!
Society Member
HopeMeijer
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Allie Mannering, Kiki

Famous Five Festival

Post by HopeMeijer »

Merged with an older thread.

Is anyone going to the Famous Five Festival at RHS Wisley or know anything about it? Spotted it this evening but there's a server error and I can't access their website.
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Famous Five Festival

Post by Daisy »

There is a thread about it - http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... &hilit=RHS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Now merged.)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
HopeMeijer
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Allie Mannering, Kiki

Post by HopeMeijer »

Thanks Daisy! Search function not working very well on the forum and I couldn't find a thread.
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The search function works best with one word. I have just typed in Wisley - and it came up immediately.

We plan to visit Wisley on Friday - weather permitting!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm currently in Devon and have just found out that RHS Rosemoor in Great Torrington is also doing a Famous Five adventure theme for the summer — presumably much the same as Wisley's: https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/rosemoor ... t-Rosemoor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see they're also having an exhibition of Enid's letters and memorabilia on loan from Seven Stories! Now that sounds interesting... it's not too far out of my way where I am now, either, so I might have to go tomorrow. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis

What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Francis »

Split from another thread.

Talking about British weather, it's lovely today and we are just about to catch the bus to Wisley to celebrate Enid's birthday with a picnic. :D
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Daisy »

Hope you enjoy the day Francis.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I hope you enjoy your visit, Francis. Do let us know all about it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Did you manage to get to the Enid Blyton Exhibition etc. at Rosemoor, Courtenay? If so, I hope you had an enjoyable day.

Hope Nigel and Francis have a great time at Wisley today - and anyone else who attends! Let us know what it was like!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I hope you and Francis are enjoying your visit to Wisley, Nigel. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I hope you had a great day at Wisley, Francis, and Nigel too, of course. Did you share your picnic? :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Francis wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Holidaying/Cat sitting in Surrey at the moment. Might pay a visit to RHS Wisley on Enid's birthday, Friday, providing it's not pouring down.
The weather should be dry - hopefully! I will probably go as well - there's supposed to be a picnic!
We did go. I should have got a mobile number so that we could have met up, Francis. There was a story-telling 'tent', face-painting and a couple of adventure trails, but that was about it. Successful children were given a book at the end, Five on a Garden Adventure. I should have taken one when the attendant wasn't looking.

I will write a summary and put some pictures when I get home, on the relevant thread.

Threads now merged.
Society Member