Adventure Audiobooks (and others)

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Adventure Audiobooks (and others)

Post by Carlotta King »

If anyone's interested I've found the Adventure series audiobooks on YouTube.

I didn't know these existed; I was actually looking for Castle read by Bernard Cribbins just to listen to to kill an hour or so, and then I found these.

I have no idea who reads them or if they're proper recordings (ie ones that were actual audio books on tape or CD) or even if they're amateur but i dont mind because they sound good and they're unabridged and the whole series is there.
I've linked to Sea because that's the one I'm listening to at the moment but the rest of the series should appear as related content.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYpCaWTukjY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: In fact looking at the other items by the user, it seems there are lots of Enid's books that they've done as audiobooks

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1sn8l8-QLDVOY8SwvhhnIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Adventure Audiobooks (and others)

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks for the heads up!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Erm, is that quite legal from a copyright standpoint, I wonder?? :shock:

The video trailer for this person's YouTube channel made me a bit sad, really — she's going on about the importance of reading bedtime stories because it's such a good time to get to know your child better, share opinions on different stories etc., and yet here she is with a channel called "A Book At Bedtime", which would seem to imply that these audiobooks are meant to be a sort of substitute for parents actually reading to their children. My mum and I read together almost every night (taking turns with the chapters) from as far back as I can remember up until I was about 10 or 11. (And yes, a LOT of the books concerned were Enid Blyton. :wink: ) I wouldn't have missed that for the world and I hope not too many children are subjected to audiobooks and videos before bedtime because mum and/or dad are too busy to read to them or don't see the importance of it... :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Oh well if its not legal due to copyright then I'm happy for my post to be removed. I didn't really think much about whether they were legal or not, to be honest! :lol:

Does anyone else think it's a shame that its illegal to offer to share genuine audio reproductions of nice books so that people can enjoy listening to Enid's work, and yet it's perfectly legal to create the adult FF books :roll:

I'm not lucky enough to have any of the cassettes or CDs of the books any more (I used to have some but they broke) so to find fully unabridged versions of my favourite series was a great discovery.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry what's not legal?

You -Tube links get put on here all the time, especially by Courtenay!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Carlotta King wrote: Does anyone else think it's a shame that its illegal to offer to share genuine audio reproductions of nice books so that people can enjoy listening to Enid's work, and yet it's perfectly legal to create the adult FF books :roll:
Well, I don't know for sure if it is illegal, but the books are still under copyright and I would assume that includes reproducing them by audio recordings or broadcasts without the permission of the publisher. The only reason it's "perfectly legal" to create the adult FF books, on the other hand, is that their publisher's parent company owns Enid's trademark signature, so there's no breach of copyright there. :x
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Sorry what's not legal?
Recording and broadcasting an author's works without the publisher's permission — whether it's on YouTube or anywhere else. At least, I think that is illegal. Maybe Tony can clarify?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I understand now, thanks, Courtenay.

I get so used to seeing Links put up on here I don't even think about it.

8)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Entirely illegal, no doubt about it. You Tube often pulls breaches of copyright so if anyone plans to listen to these I'd do it sooner rather than later.

I agree it would be a shame if parents replaced reading to/with their children with audiobooks but I think they're great for kids regardless. My sister and I used to listen to cassette tapes of stories while we played and also in the car. They would also be good for parents whose own reading skills are perhaps lacking, they can listen along with their child instead.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hmmm, I was just looking further at the user's details and on her "about" page she lists "Getting The Copyright Permissions" as one of the things she does before uploading a recording. If that's so, I guess what she's doing is legit.
Society Member

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I struggle to believe that anyone who holds the copyright to a recording like that would allow it to be freely uploaded to the internet. It would be in their best interests if people had to buy their product!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Looking at it though, if she has put she's got permission then permission she should have.

Even if she hasn't, it wouldn't surprise me if nothing is done about it. Chorion knew about Rosson stealing copyright, but nothing was done.

8)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Of course, she might have just said she's got permission so people will think she's got permission when in fact she hasn't. :roll: I too would be very surprised if the copyright holders of those audiobooks would happily agree to have someone put them up online to be listened to for free, even if those particular recordings are the audio equivalent of "out of print", i.e. not currently being produced and sold in shops or online.

Mind you, probably a huge percentage of YouTube content is in breach of copyright anyway! :P
Society Member

sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

The solution- Download the audiobooks immediately before the Youtube pulls them.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Goodness Me, What a To-Do! The "legal eagles" are working overtime, AGAIN!!!

Quote: "I too would be very surprised if the copyright holders of those audiobooks would happily agree to have someone put them up online to be listened to for free, even if those particular recordings are the audio equivalent of "out of print", i.e. not currently being produced and sold in shops or online." (Courtenay)

Yes, this may well be the LEGAL position. However, just because something is the LAW doesn't automatically make it MORALLY acceptable!

It's a shame, because the recordings on YouTube are the "full-text" versions, not the ORIGINAL "dramatisations" like those in the Tempo series. How many children would be able to stay awake for four or five hours at bedtime?

BTW, Bernard Cribbens's reading of "Castle of Adventure" is an abbreviated version, although not strictly speaking "dramatised" - Mr Cribbens "does the voices" all by himself!

Perhaps if Ms Carlotta would like to hear the Cribben's version, she might like to PM me?

P.S. I commend Carlotta for her post. Don't be brow-beaten by those who either for self-interested reasons(!) or out of a misplaced sense of loyalty to the author strive to protect vested interests. The new age of Postmodernism has declared that the Author is Dead; if so, this means that the Copyright Law has become an anachronism.
Last edited by Minerva on 29 Mar 2017, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Fiona1986 wrote:Entirely illegal, no doubt about it. You Tube often pulls breaches of copyright so if anyone plans to listen to these I'd do it sooner rather than later.

I agree it would be a shame if parents replaced reading to/with their children with audiobooks but I think they're great for kids regardless. My sister and I used to listen to cassette tapes of stories while we played and also in the car. They would also be good for parents whose own reading skills are perhaps lacking, they can listen along with their child instead.
Well-argued, Fiona. A good balanced point of view.