Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

Post by Fiona1986 »

I admit they look good but at £15 each... that's more than I paid for many of my books!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

My main thought is that they are making money out of property which isn't actually theirs. I would never support such people - and whether they look good or not (and I admit they do) they are still ripping people off - but at least they are only ripping people off who choose to be, I guess! :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A balanced article which tries to look at the whole issue:

The Finer Print - Growing Concern Over Facsimile Jackets
by Dan Gregory

If you make a color photocopy of a dollar bill you are breaking the law, but law enforcement officials could not care less if you print a forged dustjacket that might sell for $10,000 or more.
Many collectors make a personal choice never to buy books in facsimile jackets, and many dealers make a personal choice never to sell them. I have met collectors who claim to refuse to buy restored material under any circumstances, but I have yet to meet an active dealer who refuses to buy and sell restored material - it is simply unavoidable in rarities. There are clearly many collectors who cannot afford jacketed copies of the first editions they desire, but are willing to supplement their unjacketed copies with attractive and inexpensive facsimiles.
http://www.betweenthecovers.com/btc/articles/17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote:I think if I was going to be paying for copied dustjackets I would want ones without scuffs, tears and missing bits! :shock:
I can't say for the original designed copies for the first 7 books, but the set I have isn't like that. Their pretty uniform looking neat and tidy, a few 'creasemarks' but nothing major. Im not sure why the picture in the listing has some looking rather tatty, perhaps the seller has since found a better original to copy from?

I don't agree with getting copy wrappers with the intention of selling the book on for big money with it, but I don't see the harm in simply wanting them to protect a personal collection and make them look nice on a shelf because an original is unavailable/unaffordable.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree they look good on a shelf. Most of the copy wrappers I had at one time were enlarged and printed from the cave just for my own use. they don't look bad on a shelf - but these days most of my wrappers are the genuine article. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well I'm glad yours look nicer than the ones pictured, IceMaiden.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

IceMaiden wrote:I don't agree with getting copy wrappers with the intention of selling the book on for big money with it, but I don't see the harm in simply wanting them to protect a personal collection and make them look nice on a shelf because an original is unavailable/unaffordable.
Yes,I agree IceMaiden.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

A similar issue comes about in the collecting of seven inch (18 cm) records that didn't have picture covers but had sleeves with record label logo and design. Many used to feel putting in new plain black or white sleeves failed to display them well while others sold original company sleeves for a good deal of money. In recent years a company has began making high quality period copies with permissions.
Getting back to dust jackets, part of the function is to protect the book from wear and tear which as i guess many of us recall being told by teachers to make them for our text books from wallpaper which when new like lp record sleeves soon got used to promote the product by putting on them a drawing and some text about them.
I feel there is a demand for replica dust jackets not for making additional money from selling used hardbacks but from people who wish to protect their hardback book and that might include crediting and settlement for rights for any images with a clear "This is a facsimile reproduced with permission from....." included so it is clear such a dust jacket is not an original.
Something like that would go along way toward regularizing what is a growing trend while respecting the rights of those whose talents are being used