Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

Post by Courtenay »

And look who's selling it... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

These prices (the book that Pete linked and the ones below it) are totally ridiculous - The Three Golliwogs at two and a half thousand - who is kidding who. No collector would dream of paying such a stupid price, and if they are not selling to collectors I would love to know what idiot is paying these crazy amounts! :twisted:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think they just try it on...some people will pay stupid amounts obviously, or else they wouldn't offer them!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I agree, but the problem with sellers like Stella and Rose is that they then give other sellers the idea that they could get squillions for Blyton books too, so all the prices get pushed up. :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Funny that the first edition of Five Run Away Together with dustwrapper is £3,193.00 but the first edition of Five on a Treasure Island with dustwrapper is £2,575.00 - even though the latter has got an autograph slip stuck in it. :? Both are being sold by Stella & Rose's Books.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I would buy a book with a damaged original dustjacket, or if I really wanted a jacket for a book and found a real one for sale on it's own - and it was slightly damaged - that would be ok. A piece of paper that is 60+ years old is very likely to have wear and tear!

What I really objected to there was the silly price for what is a cheap bit of paper with some printing on it. It can't have cost the seller more than a few pence to make one! The fact that the jackets they have used are rather damaged is just insult to injury IMHO. A real dustjacket with white paper behind the tears looks a bit better because you can see where the torn edge starts... a dustjacket printed with tears just screams FAKE.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

As people on here know, I sometimes mend my wrappers with white paper on the reverse. Like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252507671031? ... 1555.l2649

and THIS is a photo copied cover - no extra charge -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252531674982? ... 1555.l2649

I just thought I'd advertise - after all, all these expensive wrapper people are getting a LOT of advertising, lol! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I did come across a company online who offer for sale completely rejuvenated classic dustwrappers of very collectable books and make the wrapper look absolutely pristine.

I just can't remember the name of their company.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

There's another seller on eBay who sells them for £7.50 each. :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I saw some facsimile wrappers at York on Saturday. I always said I would never buy a book with one but one or two were excellent and fooled me until I opened the wrapper out to inspect it. I'm pleased that all of the ones I saw were clearly marked as photocopies.
One dealer was offering a 1st edition of Malcolm Saville's Mystery At Witchend for £70 with an excellent photocopied wrapper. I wasn't interested because he wanted £70 for the book alone in my opinion, the wrapper was worthless.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:One dealer was offering a 1st edition of Malcolm Saville's Mystery At Witchend for £70 with an excellent photocopied wrapper. I wasn't interested because he wanted £70 for the book alone in my opinion, the wrapper was worthless.
That's exactly how I feel, John. Although undoubtedly facsimile wrappers are nice to look at and improve the look of a book on the shelf, they are really only worth something cosmetically. They certainly add no value to the book at all. As in my example above - £4.50 for 'The Adventure of the Secret Necklace' is what I'd charge with or without the wrapper. I really couldn't believe a 1946 edition of Secret Island being sold for £68 without a wrapper. It had a facsimile one - but for £68 I would expect a real one!!

People who buy facsimile wrappers are really paying for nothing except a printed piece of paper. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

A lot of people dealing on ebay are selling books with photocopied wrappers now. But, even though they advertise the fact, they are still ripping buyers off. For example, if a book with original wrapper is worth £50 and without a wrapper it's worth £10 then how can it be justified to sell a book with photocopied wrapper for £25. That makes the cost of the facsimile £15. And people are falling for it.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. It makes me mad, as a seller myself. There was someone selling books with what looked like 'perfect' wrappers - I think they are still selling them. The books looked great and were 'only' £12 each - but on closer inspection all the wrappers were copies. Considering these were mainly Famous Fives, the price without a wrapper would maybe be £6 - £8 at most. But they were charging £12 - a price I often charge for a book with the original wrapper, lol! Many of these sellers are just ripping people off, as you say, because when all is said and done a copy wrapper adds no value to a book whatsoever.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I've seen those, Rob. Yet at York on Saturday there were quite a few Famous Fives from the late fifties and early sixties with original wrappers in good condition for sale at between £8 and £15. Alright, they weren't 1st editions but they contain the original text and Eileen Soper's illustrations and I think they were priced fairly. That ebay seller is asking the same and sometimes more for a facsimile.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This is the firm I read about.They try to meticulously recreate a dustjacket back to pristine condition:

ReproJackets
Our starting point is a 1st issue original dustjacket for We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea by Arthur Ransome, from Jonathan Cape in 1937. We make a high-resolution scan of the original dustjacket at 600 pixels per inch, which means around a million pixels for each three square inches.

The image is straightened up and cropped very precisely, and a note made in the image file of the type of paper used. The image file will also contain lower-resolution scans of the boards of the book, its title page and any copyright/publication/printing information which may be present.
http://www.reprojackets.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1014440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some of the Blyton dustwrappers/jackets currently available:

http://www.reprojackets.co.uk/PBSearch.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a before and after animation with a PG Wodehouse cover:

http://www.reprojackets.co.uk/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1034867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member