To the children of Brexit

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Soenke Rahn

Re: To the children of Brexit

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Courtenay wrote:Hang on, hang on — this thread was started by Viv to ask for ideas for an inspirational window display for her Blyton-themed shop...

I don't think she was asking for anyone's comments for or against the referendum result itself — just for suggestions of Blyton quotes that will be inspiring and encouraging for young people facing an uncertain future. And hopefully for adults as well. :wink:
Yes it goes to much into another direction. :-) We will see what will happen and so on. We will not have influence of it. ---- But I don't think that the future will be uncertain in this case. England will have friends when all goes down. I suppose the best conclusion of Enid Blyont's writing is to give kids a good childhood with good dreams and supporting the good in the world.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Rob Houghton wrote:I agree, Courtenay. But if I hear phrases like 'exciting times ahead' I'm afraid I will always respond! None of us know WHAT is ahead.

It's a pity Viv's post got hijacked and I apologise for my part in that.
"Exciting" is not really the best word, but some things are really unreal in the moment. However. Ok, let go back to the main topic of this thread.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

:-D Maybe exciting in a scary way! :D

Yes I agree - back on topic! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

For another quote about character, how about:

"Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare, but generosity crowns everything" — Inspector Jenks to Fatty, in The Mystery of the Vanished Prince

(The full sentence is actually: "... generosity crowns everything, Frederick" — but the words of wisdom are broader than the person they're addressed to. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nice to see the thread back on track. That's a good one, Courtenay - I remember that Nigel used to have it as his signature.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Here's another possible one I've just thought of for Viv. Can any of my fellow Galliano aficionados (I haven't read the books for some years) remind me of which book it is where Jimmy says to Lotta: "... it's best not to hate anyone, because you poison your own mind if you do"? Or something very like that, anyway.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Some excellent quotes - and I'll use them all :D

One of the real pleasures of the Ginger Pop Shop is welcoming Blyton fans from across the globe.

Many immigrant families like to share Blyton books with their kids, which is why I'd like to give them encouragement, whatever their futures.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I did, Anita. Not sure where it went! Personally, I would rather see politics kept off the forum - but that is only my personal view. We have very active political discussions on my forum which sometimes get a bit out of hand! I wouldn't like it to happen here.

Of course, this isn't a criticism aimed at Viv, just a thought on how things develop.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very much agree, Nigel! There are plenty of places for political airings if members so wish! I think Viv's idea is a good one though, I hasten to add - just can't think of any suitable quotes! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Title: To the "children of Brexit" ..... !!!!! That Brexit happens is not politics in general. If you will overinterpret each word so the title would be also a political one. In the moment it looks for me like to talk again and again to not important sentences. It was said and we can go back to the main topic ... I can not see that anybody wants to discuss over the Brexit ... Metadiscussion ... Beside that, there is nothing to discuss .... There is no pro and contra ...
Last edited by Soenke Rahn on 28 Jun 2016, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Some excellent quotes - and I'll use them all :D

One of the real pleasures of the Ginger Pop Shop is welcoming Blyton fans from across the globe.

Many immigrant families like to share Blyton books with their kids, which is why I'd like to give them encouragement, whatever their futures.

Viv
So, I suppose something of the Adventure Series could be interesting .... Mmmmm .....