A spring that gushed out from beneath a stone

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

A spring that gushed out from beneath a stone

Post by pete9012S »

From Five Go Off In A Caravan:
But there was no spring. The stream did not 'begin' just there, but flowed out of a hole in the hillside, as big and as fast as it was just under the stone bridge. The children bent down and peered into the water-filled hole.
'It comes out from inside the hill,' said Anne, surprised. 'Fancy it running around in the hill itself. It must be glad to find a way out!'
They didn't like to drink it as it was not the clear, fresh spring they had hoped to find. But, wandering a little farther on, they came to a real spring that gushed out from beneath a stone, cold and crystal clear. They drank from this and voted that it was the nicest drink they had ever had in their lives. Dick followed the spring-water downwards and saw that it joined the little rushing stream.
'I suppose it flows into the lake,' he said. 'Come on. Let's get on and find a farm..
I think this is the Five's first encounter with a spring that literally starts from the hillside itself and provides beautiful,fresh,clean drinking water.

How many other such streams did they encounter? I'm sure there are similar streams in her other books featuring other characters too.

Can you remember any,and has anyone ever come across a steam that starts in the hillside or moors like Enid's characters??
Last edited by pete9012S on 11 Jun 2016, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Re: A spring that gushed out from beneath a stone

Post by pete9012S »

I'm sure there's a spring or little stream of water that starts that way in the castle courtyard in The Castle Of Adventure Too:
Enid Blyton. The castle of adventure
They soon recovered and sat up. Philip heard the trickling of water somewhere nearby and went to
investigate. He still felt terribly thirsty. He called back to the others: The spring that runs past our cottage runs here. It’s lovely and cold. Anyone want a drink? Everybody did. They got up and went to the little spring that gushed out from a hole in the hillside and then ran and leapt over a pebbly bed until it once more disappeared into the earth, to come out again further down.
There's another spring in the same book!
I know, we’ll see if the spring that runs down to our cottage is anywhere about, said Philip. It’s supposed to begin in this courtyard, I know. It should be somewhere down at the bottom of it. He got up and Button went with him. It was Button who found the spring. It gushed out near the wall that ran round the castle, almost at the foot of the tower at the top of which the children had had their dinner. It was not a big spring, but the water was cold and clear. Button lapped it eagerly.
Last edited by pete9012S on 11 Jun 2016, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wonder if that's why the holiday home was called "Spring Cottage".
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Daisy - yet another spring - this book is simply bubbling over with them. :D
"Spring Cottage, she said. It’s a nice name for it, especially in the spring-time. It’s named because of the spring that runs down behind it, said her mother. The water starts somewhere up in the yard of the castle, I believe, runs down through a tunnel it has made for itself, and gushes out just above the cottage at the back. It runs through the garden then, and disappears down the hillside. The girls explored the spring. They found where it gushed out, and Dinah tasted the water. It was cold and crystal clear. She liked hearing the gurgling sound it made in the untidy little garden. She heard it all night long in her sleep and loved it.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

There's a spring in The Children of Kidillin too - which I think is quite an important feature of the story...

"There was a large, uneven hole in one side of the great rock, and from it poured a clear stream of water that fell down the mountain side..." (chapter 2).
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member