Blytonesque Places

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Blytonesque Places

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

When I walk Morgan our dog, in the woods below my home, I always feel I could be inside the pages of a Blyton book.

I have to pass a large house, with iron gates, and for me, that is Owl's Dene, despite the name on the wall.

Then I go into the woods, which could be either Middlecombe Woods in Troube, or Raven's Wood in Fall into Adventure, where many disused buildings are, and that could be the house in Two Trees from Hike. Many of the disused buildings I can imagine the Famous Five, having an adventure here.

Then I pass the meandering stream, which reminds me of the Greylings children, as they followed the winding stream with the Greylings map in their hands.

Then as I leave the woods, I have to pass Owl's Dene, once more, and a farmhouse on my left, which could be Finniston Farm, or any of the farms in Enid's books.

Here are a few pictures I took of my Blyton walk today, so you can see what I mean.

Do you have any walks that you take where you could be in the pages of a Blyton Book?
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Blyton Places Near You

Post by Lucky Star »

I have no photos of it but there is a walk I do once or twice a year near me where I pass by two farms. One is old, overgrown and full of run down charm and character; I always refer to it as Mistletoe farm. A few minutes later I pass a modern, recently built farmhouse, very spick and span and looking more like a town dwelling than a country one; I refer to this one as Holly Farm. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Great photos, Julie! Like Lucky Star, I've not got any photos to hand, but I'll try & russle up some if I get time. :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Superb photos, Julie! Your walk sounds great, John and I'd love to see your photos if you manage to rustle up any, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hi Eddie! Yes, I'll certainly try my best to post some. I'm having to rely on my I-pad at the moment, due to working away a lot, & I can't get to my desktop to access my photos. I haven't quite worked out how to send photos to the forums via an I-pad!! :roll:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I look forward to seeing your photos, Number 6. I use my iPad much of the time, but I haven't worked out how to post photos on the forums via this device either. :(
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

When we holiday in Devon, the cottage we stay in is quite secluded at the edge of a wood. The ground is sandy and riddled with badger setts which always remind me of Spring Cottage in Circus Of Adventure.
But the nearest Blyton place to me is the village of Blyton which lies 5 miles north of where I live. I must take some photos of the place someday.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

John Pickup wrote:When we holiday in Devon, the cottage we stay in is quite secluded at the edge of a wood. The ground is sandy and riddled with badger setts
Love Badgers. Studied them for 5 years as part of my Conservation project, a few years ago! :D

There's a place called Blyton North of where I live, too. Do you live in Notts, John? :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:I look forward to seeing your photos, Number 6. I use my iPad much of the time, but I haven't worked out how to post photos on the forums via this device either. :(
I am sure there are easier ways, which no doubt Wolfgang and other technophiles could advise on, but I would connect the iPad to your laptop via the USB lead, and upload them to your pictures folder via iTunes. You could then use a program such as TinyPic to upload them to the forum.

If you have iCloud activated, they should appear on your Macbook (and iPhone) automatically, negating the need to physically upload to it.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Nice idea for a thread, Julie! There are several places within a short distance of us, which evoke memories of certain Blyton-locations. For instance, St Mary's Lighthouse at Whitley Bay reminds me very much of Demon's Rocks. There are several farms which we walk past on our countryside rambles which remind me of Mistletoe Farm. And finally there is a place called 'Butterfly World' not far away, which immediately brings to mind the Butterfly farm in Five Go To Billycock Hill. It is a lovely place but the temperatures inside the place are really warm, so you can't really stay inside for long.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The Butterfly World sounds good. That too would make me think of Butterfly Farm, Poppy.

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There's a butterfly farm near Sherborne, Dorset. I used to sell there and always thought of Billycock Hill.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sell the butterflies you'd found! :lol:

8)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:There's a butterfly farm near Sherborne, Dorset. I used to sell there and always thought of Billycock Hill.
That's interesting, Nigel. How long has the Butterfly farm been there? Is it still there? I wouldn't mind having a trek over the next time I'm in Dorset.

What a coincidence...the Butterfly farm being just a stones throw from where Enid set Finniston farm! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've done some Googling and it doesn't look as if it is still there. There is a Butterfly World in Charmouth, which might be the same outfit. I'd give them a ring before visiting, to be on the safe side.

Julie, I sold souvenir ball pens and other products to the gift shop, some 35 years ago.
Society Member