The Blyton Phenomenon by Sheila Ray

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

The Blyton Phenomenon by Sheila Ray

Post by Rob Houghton »

I first read this book when I was fairly young - borrowed from the library aged about 20, and I must admit I hated it, as it tended to clash with nearly every one of my ideas about Enid Blyton! I finally bought a copy about 10 years ago, mainly because I recognized that it was an 'iconic' book where Blyton criticism and appraisal is concerned, but I admit I haven't managed a reread, although I have dipped in and out. It's a book that makes me growl and spit when I read it, and obviously I hid it away somewhere as I now can't even find my copy of it!

Maybe my memory serves me badly and this isn't such a terrible book as I seem to recall. The main thing I seem to remember is that Sheila Ray comes across as a real Blyton-hater and much of what she has to say is vitriolic. This is probably an unfair summing up of her book, but it's interesting that this is the impression one reading has left me with!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: The Blyton Phenomenon by Sheila Ray

Post by John Pickup »

I've never read this book and after reading your review, Robert, I don't think I shall bother.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wish I could 'unread it'! ;-)

Mind you, I might have misremembered...waiting for a few people to convince me otherwise!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I can't remember The Blyton Phenomenon well enough to comment in detail, but I know I enjoyed it even though I didn't agree with all that was said. It was interesting to see how librarians and others had reacted to the unprecedented popularity of Enid Blyton over the years. It was from that book that I first learnt that an Enid Blyton book had been read on Jackanory in the 1970s (the first of two Adventure titles to feature on the programme). I also recall, however, that Sheila Ray makes the mistake of naming Adventures of the Wishing-Chair as Blyton's first full-length novel, instead of The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies.

I'll have to read it again sometime, to refresh my memory!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

me too - when I can find where I hid it! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Perhaps it's in the fridge?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

What a coincidence! I actually picked this particular book up from my collection on Monday evening & made up my mind to begin re-reading again on my day off work, which is on Thursday. I can remember very little about it, as I've only read it once & that was when it first came out. However, after reading Roberts post, I'am tempted to put it away again! :?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've got this book, picked it up for about a £1 somewhere, ages ago, but as yet, I haven't read it!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

There was only one review on the Amazon page I landed on,but it was quite a lengthy one:
Though we end all of our days with sleep and dreams, only fragments of which we can remember, few of us can take stock at the moment that the door daily opens to darkness and its light. Enid Blyton, was such a dreamer who could indulge nightmares and bring them to life for children; and to the neglect of at least one of her own, she put this elusive and magic ability first in her life.

That while, after we close our eyes in order for us to pass into sleep; if it lasts a long time and it bothers us to have our wits remain intact, is known as insomnia. In such a tiresome state government librarians turn children away; and by this, the adults they develop into; by refusing to relent and stock enough of the most popular books. It is often repeated that works by Enid Blyton were banned from school and public libraries. This fascinating book thoroughly examines the actual evidence for this civil service.

Intrepid REM deep sleepers like Enid Blyton, who can keep their heads on the other side of slumber; who can navigate the perilous seas and verdurous glooms while in this state, believe that they lead on to fortune.

Shrewdly pitting her many publishers against each other, and back on terra-firma, Blyton provided husbands and herself with minks and Rolls Royce in England where wide-awake success "so huge and wholly farcical" is always begrudged.

From this never never land Enid Blyton never truly awoke. She was not always criticized for the childishness of her work; and only after her death for its middle class values. The basis of this book is a university thesis that seeks to document the banning and the stocking of her work in the libraries of the world. Written by a librarian, the research quality end-notes document the conspiracy against Blyton; and dutifully record the labour of reviewing so much necessarily obscure library material which likely will never be graced with being referred to again.

Blyton worked indomitably from 1924 to 1963. It is not often recorded that towards the end of her single-minded career, every major publisher of that unbroken day wanted some of the action. Macmillan (The Adventure Series); Hodder & Stoughton (Famous Five); Brockhampton Press (Secret Seven); Methuen (Mallory Towers); William Collins (The "R" Mysteries); George Newnes (Faraway Tree); Blackwell (The Secret Series); Evans Brothers (Six Cousins); Sampson Low (Noddy).

Was it those craven publishers? Or was it her own fertile inadequacies that gave the world enough books, around six hundred of them to make childish dreams of owning them all, or even reading them all, fade far away before they could ever came true. No child in the fifties when she was alive and well and living at Green Hedges could have ever read ALL of her books without either becoming spoilt and disabled; or growing old enough to realise that, except for Enid alone, there was more to getting a life than remaining a child.

Enid Blyton stayed back there for us all who ultimately grew out of her books. She drove a secret and a childlike word into every one. Books enough, and popular enough, for some at every jumble sale to be there for me. There was a surfeit; enough even for the poorest when we were no taller than the trestles that supported such truly exotic wares; at least one or two copies, perhaps in not quite such good condition, after pushing and the shoving was over.

On page 45 we read "her books were so popular that they were never on the shelves and enthusiasts had to be pretty fast on the returned trolley to get hold of one." Librarians looking for an easier life than the easy life of Blyton, invented the "returned trolley"; and shirked the duty of returning her books to the shelves: "it was not that libraries were anti-Blyton, but that Enid Blyton's great output made her name the one that every parent remembered".
The remarkable fact is recorded that the BBC never made use any of EB's work, even though she regularly offered to help in the children's department. It was not until 1974 that The Island of Adventure was trivialized by being on Jackanory.
I was mortified to read, of Stuart Tresilian's evocative illustrations: "though Dyer describes the illustrations in Castle of Adventure as execrable they do undoubtedly represent the characters and the action in a way which appeals to most children." There must be something wrong with me.

The first book I ever read that deserved the name was called "The Secret Island". Before the illness that confined me to bed for about six weeks I only knew reading at school from Janet and John books. I recall that formative experience; realising what a book WAS for the first time; when I imagined that the way to say the word "island" was to read it as "IS land". I still feel the lack of my eight and nine "times" tables. I was as stunned as chicken licken when the sky fell upon her head. It was the revelation of what a book might be.

I'm grateful to Enid Blyton to this day. The sheer well-produced physicality of each volume, each publisher striving to outdo the other is part of the phenomenon. The mere handling of her books was the most basic lesson in literature that could be had back then. While she lived, no part of her prodigious legacy was issued in paperback. Now that the expurgators Chorion preside over the copyrights, and Robert Maxwell accountants have reduced the works to shoddy unstitched paperbacks with fashion illustrations by a new caste, we need to consult the collector's market to be able to divine how it was that our enchantment began.

This research is a useful corrective; but if you have loved the books in their original glory you will be glad to find sleepers like you generously catered for at the enidblytonsociety website.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm speechless for once! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I was going to ask "Was that review written by one Stephen I., by any chance?", but the style, while incomprehensible, isn't quite the same. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I don't know if its just me being a bit tired and stupid this morning but I found that review incredibly difficult to read and understand - I couldn't get my head round it, the sentences seemed far too complicated and nonsensical, with too many semicolons and commas, I just can't get my head round it or concentrate on it!?!?! :? :?
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I feel the same Robert! I still can't work out what the reviewer's actual opinion is!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The review has no doubt been written by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language, and it seems as much of a homage to Enid Blyton as to Sheila Ray's book.

The Blyton Phenomenon itself is very readable. Although Sheila Ray wrote it as a university thesis (or something along those lines), the style is not too academic and it's quite quick to read, despite being a fairly substantial book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I thought it was just me! The review is rambling.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!