Bill's Diary

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Bill's Diary

Post by Wolfgang »

It's interesting the author is placing Circus to the Balkan, all countries there were members of the Warszaw treaty, so not open for foreign spies. From the parallels of the concurrent history I'd say it's Greece where it takes place.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

I also saw Tauri Hessia as fictionally one of the last Eastern European countries which had resisted a communist takeover in post 2nd world war Europe in the early 1950s and gave this as background in my own fan-fic on enidblyton.net under the title Hide and Seek, which included Gus, the former Prince, as a financier whose family as Royals had fled as exiles to Austria in the mid 50s following a Soviet coup. Enjoyed writing that and looking forward to Terry's own version which has huge potential as a story. Wondering how long it will be! Some good Christmas reading for us all.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I must read your fan-fic Sally and Bill's next diary. I do love the Adventure series.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Sally wrote:I also saw Tauri Hessia as fictionally one of the last Eastern European countries which had resisted a communist takeover in post 2nd world war Europe in the early 1950s and gave this as background in my own fan-fic on enidblyton.net under the title Hide and Seek, which included Gus, the former Prince, as a financier whose family as Royals had fled as exiles to Austria in the mid 50s following a Soviet coup. Enjoyed writing that and looking forward to Terry's own version which has huge potential as a story. Wondering how long it will be! Some good Christmas reading for us all.
The foreign location from "Circus of Adventure" reminded me a bit of Hungary and Turkey. A mixture of both.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Chrissie

I agree - rather Turkish from description, but looking at the history in the background of the time (printed in 1952), we were into the cold war and the Russian threat of taking over the monarchies of Eastern Europe which they did. I saw Tauri Hessia with its "strong ruler" as a monarchy which had resisted a Russian coup to date and that Paritolen and Madame Tatiosa were in fact communists trying to engineer the young Prince onto the throne before to allow the disposal of the monarchy altogether. That was the background to my story and it will be interesting to see Terry's own perspective on it. One thing for sure is that he will have done his research and it will be hugely credible.

Francis - thanks for showing interest. You will find my four stories on enidblyton.net website in the Fanfic section in reverse order (starting with Return to Rubadub). The stories are based on the Adventure characters and Barney Mystery characters. They need to be read in order or you may get confused. Hope you enjoy.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Sally wrote:Chrissie
I agree - rather Turkish from description, but looking at the history in the background of the time (printed in 1952), we were into the cold war and the Russian threat of taking over the monarchies of Eastern Europe which they did.
Francis - thanks for showing interest. You will find my four stories on enidblyton.net website in the Fanfic section in reverse order (starting with Return to Rubadub). The stories are based on the Adventure characters and Barney Mystery characters. They need to be read in order or you may get confused. Hope you enjoy.
Hi Sally, I will check it out on enidblyton.net. Sounds very promising.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

From what I remember reading the book when I was 15, the description is more like Greece, Romania or Bulgaria. Where Roma people or Gypsies come from. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Romania and Bulgaria both became Soviet-allied states from 1946 till 1989, so I guess it's very possible that Enid was imagining Tauri-Hessia as a similar Eastern European country that was also in danger of being taken over by the Communists. It makes the most sense, given the era she was writing in, and Madame Tatiosa certainly sounds rather Russian!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

Exactly, Courtenay. I know for sure(very) that Tatiosa is not Turkish word/name. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Are there any clues in the name Aloysius Gramondie Racemolie Torquinel?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Why, Malaysian Chinese love to use Aloysius as their names! How they get that name, I don't know. :lol:

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, Aloysius (pronounced Al-o-wish-us) is a Latin form of Louis or Lewis, and Gramondie seems to be the name of a French chateau. Racemolie and Torquinel don't come up at all in a web search except in reference to the Blyton character, so I expect Enid made them up entirely! As a whole, it does sound more like a French name than anything else.

At least it's slightly better than the name of a real-life boy my family once met at a party - his parents, apparently wanting to be different, had named him something like Gindi Aloysius Havenger McGillicuddy Williams. I did Google that name just now to make sure the real guy (who'd now be an adult) didn't come up, which he didn't! :P (My dad, unimpressed with the pretentious moniker, privately renamed him Giddy-Giddy-Gout-Your-Shirt's-Hanging-Out, after an Australian playground rhyme. It was an in-joke in our family for quite some time.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

Now, if the guy googled his name, this forum will appear. Surely, he will recognise your name. He will know the in-joke among your family about his name. :lol:

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

As I just said, I Googled that name myself and absolutely nothing recognisable came up, so I can safely assume that it's not the bloke's exact name. Or if it is, he's long since changed it. :lol: (And as I don't use my surname on the forums, and he would have been too young to remember me on the one occasion I met him, he would never be able to trace me or my family anyway.)
Society Member

sixret

Post by sixret »

Phew! You are safe. :lol: