Bill's Diary

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Moonraker

Re: Bill's Diary

Post by Moonraker »

A great addition. More bedtime reading to go on the pile!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Wonderful! Thanks, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
HopeMeijer
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Allie Mannering, Kiki

Post by HopeMeijer »

Apologies for jumping into a thread but is the first of the esteemed Terry's 'Bill's Diary' Series the 1946 one, relating to Valley or did he write any relevant to the first two books? I've read and re-read all of them and they inspired me so much unfortunately it means I've ended up writing about a 10000 word fic. :shock:
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The answer to your question is that both Island and Castle were printed in Journals. By the time we got to Valley they had got too long to be in Journals any more, so I decided to put them onto the website. These are available to everybody, but you may have already noticed that in our Secret Passage which is only available to Society members we have several continuation books. You can find the current password to get access in Journal 63.
HopeMeijer

Post by HopeMeijer »

Thanks Tony, I'm still getting to grips with the Secret Passage. Are they available there or for new members? :D
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, they are! :D
Society Member
HopeMeijer

Post by HopeMeijer »

:D :D Thank you!

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I have recently been reading the excellent Bill's dairies and I have to say that I am blown away with them. In fact I preferred his diary to the actual book the River of Adventure as I always felt that was the weakest by far and a sad way to end such an excellent series. But his diary really gave it the proper ending that the series deserved and filled in those missing parts and gave a much more rounded picture to the series. I know that they started life in the society journals for the Island and the Castle adventures and are not published on the website. Is there any way that they could be added to the website for those 2 adventures as I joined the society after they were published. I tried to buy back copies and managed to buy the Island and part 3 of the Castle adventure but sadly journals 44 and 45 which contain parts 1 and 2 of the Castle adventure are sold out.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Irene, I never could figure out HOW to find "Bill's Diary" on EBS. Is it in the Cave of Books?

Sally told me a lot about it in Bourne End at the Spade Oak in May 2014, but later on when I was back in the US, I couldn't find Bill's Diary (I seem to remember that either Anita or Tony sent me a link for it, but I didn't have time for reading way back then as I was busy working on our photos from the trip to Europe and forgot all about "Bill's Diary").

Now I'm in a similar situation, my stepdaughter who lives and works in New Orleans will visit us in early July, so we are deep cleaning our house and sorting out piles of old mail, magazines, computer print outs etc which have accumulated during Corona time plus I'm busy reading Dan Brown in my little spare time.
But I could add the link to my bookmarks and unless they swallow it (which happened before), I might find it again when things go back to normal (which they unfortunately hardly ever do...a kingdom for MORE time!!!).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thank you, Eddie. 8)
I added it to my bookmarks. Hopefully some time after 8th of July I'll have more time.
Right now I can barely keep up with the new EBS posts.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Thanks Eddie, you beat me to it. That link takes you to most of the excellent diary entries, not for the first two - Island and Castle unfortunately but the rest and they cover most of them are there, and I do recommend them.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're most welcome, Chrissie and Irene. :D

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Chrissie777 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 09:21 Irene, I never could figure out HOW to find "Bill's Diary" on EBS. Is it in the Cave of Books?

Sally told me a lot about it in Bourne End at the Spade Oak in May 2014,
Anyone heard anything of Sally? Seems ages since we heard from her.
It was great to have lunch with her and everyone else at The Spade Oak, many moons ago.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Irene Malory Towers wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 16:02 Thanks Eddie, you beat me to it. That link takes you to most of the excellent diary entries, not for the first two - Island and Castle unfortunately but the rest and they cover most of them are there, and I do recommend them.

Irene, where can I find "Island" and "Castle"? Those would be of particular interest for me.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock