Audio Tape of the Books

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
George@Kirrin

Audio Tape of the Books

Post by George@Kirrin »

One of the most extensive (and most used as I have trouble sleeping) parts of my collection are my audio tapes.

I have a large selection of Famous Five, Secret Seven and Adventure Series cassettes as well as the Adventurous Four and The Secret Island.

Modern day recordings I tend not to like so much as the kids sound about 6 and Timmy sounds like he's on helium and would be no match for a half dead cat nevermind a big nasty baddie...

So anyway, the point of this post is that often these, more early, tapes can be picked up quite reasonably on Ebay and I've a few in mind which, I think, really 'hit the spot'.

If anyone is interested in any particular story I'll be happy to recommend a good recording if I know of one and, if possible, get a link to an ebay item.

Ace for clearing the mind of rubbish, making chores less boring and car journeys more pleasurable...

Any good to anyone, or shall I shut up and go back to my work :wink: ?
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Audio Tapes of the Books

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've only ever listened to one audio tape of an Enid Blyton story, and that was The Valley of Adventure. I think it was a 1980s version. It was spoilt for me by the squeakiness of some of the children's voices, and by the fact that one of my favourite parts of the story - the old couple in the caves - had been cut out altogether! However, I would like to hear of any audio tapes that you think are particularly good.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Tapes

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm a Blyton reader and have vry little knowledge of tapes or TV series. However in the shop I sell as many audio cassettes and CDs as my wholesaler can get hold of.

I have the Hodder & Stoughton FF tapes, but have no idea of quality. I'd be grateful for any comments

with thanks

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

It may well be one of these Anita that you heard.

Here are 6 tapes each a single cassette, produced by Rainbow Theatre for Children in 1983.

You do have to accept that, as they are only one tape, they only contain a 1/4 of the story, however if you are just after a short listen to, with the exciting bits still in, then picking up these are a good buy. My only grumble regarding them, is that they did 2 of each series, leaving me wishing they'd done the lot!

They are very atmospheric, being dramatised with a full cast, and the dulcet tones of Block in Smugglers Top saying "I'll be back later to clear away" is famous throughout my family from car journeys as a kid.

Apologies for the quality of the photo, just a quicky from the webcam. Just listening to Secret Seven on the Trail while I do some more writing.

I'll post again soon about another of the abridged lot I have, with comments, in the mean time I'd love to hear anyone else's comments on these tapes, or indeed any other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Audio Tapes

Thanks, George@Kirrin. Yes, it was the Rainbow Theatre tape that I heard. I still have it somewhere, but don't know exactly where. It wasn't all bad - it started off well and the music and sound effects helped create the right atmosphere, but the second half of the book was terribly rushed. How could they miss out those wonderfully melancholic scenes involving the old couple :cry: ? I would like to hear the Smuggler's Top and Sea of Adventure ones, though. And what is Five Run Away Together like? Surely it can't be worse than the TV versions of that story, both of which missed out crucial scenes. On top of that, the 1990s TV version gave away what the Sticks were up to from the beginning and the 1970s version was a different story entirely, with no Jennifer Mary Armstrong :shock:!

If there are any Find-Outers audio tapes, I'd love to know about those.

Anita
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Smuggler's Top and the Sea of Adventure are really good, as is Secret 7 On the Trail - the gang meeting and trip to the railway is brill. Run away together does have Jenny in it, and is one of my favourites.
I first heard that version of Valley before reading the books, so the hens, to me, were a complete suprise!

I do have some find outer tapes somewhere - I'll have a rummage tonight...
Tony Summerfield

Dramatised Audio Tapes

Post by Tony Summerfield »

There were masses of these dramatised audio tapes produced but many, particularly the ones produced by Tempo weren't all that well marketed and were very difficult to find - as far as I remember I actually had to write to Abbey Tempo to get some of them! Of interest to Anita would be the eight Fatty Mysteries (seven weren't done), five Barney Mysteries (Ragamuffin wasn't done, though I believe they told me that it was!) and two of the Secret Series.

Worth looking out for at car boots and charity shops and of our old friend ebay!

Best wishes
Tony
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Dramatised Audio Tapes

[Tony:] "Of interest to Anita would be the eight Fatty Mysteries (seven weren't done), five Barney Mysteries (Ragamuffin wasn't done, though I believe they told me that it was!) and two of the Secret Series."

Those do sound interesting, especially the eight Find-Outers titles. Wonder if the voices are anything like I'd imagined?

Anita
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I've finally got round to photographing my tapes for here. This isn't by any means my entire collection, but are a selected few which I really rate highly.

Nanette (hands that do dishes) Newman recorded 5 - really nicely read, only part which sticks in my mind is in Fix, where she reads (in a booming voice) ""And how are you?" he asked in his soft (eek) welsh (damn) voice. "It's pale you are, and thin too." (said in a soft welsh accent). Ahem, sorry little things and all :oops:

More famous five recordings - all read, all twin tapes. I particularly like Jane (cake baker extrodinaire) Asher's och ooing for Mr Penruthlan

Next onto a fantastic series, pairs of people read six famous five stories (read by a couple from the Archers), four secret seven, three from the Five find outers and two adventure series (sorry Anita, I've packed my find outers tapes away somewhere) Here are some pics of the others, all are produced by Tempo and have blue spines and backs. All are single tapes and so a little short - but well read, Hike is fantastic.

Lastly (for now!) here are some misc ones which really deserved a mention. The two adventure series are great - Bernard Cribbins reads castle brilliantly, Philip (squeaky clean and possibly the nicest man on tv) Schofield is in a class of his own with the Adventurous Four, and Jan Francis, reads The Secret Island very nicely.

Hope that's of interest to this community, if I can be of assistance please drop me a pm.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Tapes

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

How does anyone rate the Hodder & Stoughton series?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tapes

Cheers, George@Kirrin. Great to see all the different cover illustrations. I love the covers for the Famous Five ones (2nd picture from top) - especially the one with the caravan (Five Fall into Adventure?), Go Down to the Sea and Secret Trail.

Anita
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi! :D

Just wondered is 'the secret island' tape just a straight reading 100% same text as in the books? Or have they adapted it for the tape if so what is different?

Thanks for your help.
:D
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hi,

Glad I didn't just bore you all!

Re The Secret Island tape Raci, it's abridged as it 2 tapes long, I confess I've not read the book, so couldn't say what bits have been cut - going by all the famous five ones I have - all the important bits are still in in the 2 tape versions.
ingots

Re: Audio Tape of the Books

Post by ingots »

It would be wonderful if the owners of these stories could digitise them and upload to the net for us other fans to download and enjoy the adventure.

Coming from the antipodes I do not have such an extensive collection as was released in the UK/Europe.

But here for your enjoyment is my fav story from 1980, download here in two parts:

Links removed

Hoorah to adventures!! Hope I can hear other stories here soon?!!
:mrgreen:
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Re: Audio Tape of the Books

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Anita, just so you know, the Smuggler's Top and the Sea of Adventure Rainbow tapes are great in my opinion - I bought them both from Ebay. My copy of Sea is a bit funny though - when I first played side one, it was already halfway through the story! I've since found out that the sides were somehow mixed up. The Rainbow series did two of the St. Clare’s books too.

I've uploaded the Rainbow version of Smuggler's Top to Mediafire. You can download it I've also uploaded Five Go Down To The Sea, read by Jane Asher (who I'm pretty sure was the Beatles' photographer).

John K

Links removed
Last edited by Jeffery Greyling on 18 Sep 2009, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)