The wisdom of Enid Blyton (quotes on various subjects)

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
auscatherine

The wisdom of Enid Blyton (quotes on various subjects)

Post by auscatherine »

Apologies if this has been done previously but it occurred to me the other day that it would be good to come up with a collection of quotes that illustrates Ms Blyton or her character's views/wisdom on a variety of topics. I will start with a couple from Five on a Treasure Island and hope that others can add some more to the list (or add to the same subjects if you can find another quote from somewhere else on the same thing).

On grown-ups - "It wasn't a bit of good fighting grown-ups. They could do exactly as they liked". (Julian in Five On a Treasure Island)

On only children - "They're alway a bit odd, you know, unless they're mighty careful" (Julian in Five On a Treasure Island)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The wisdom of Enid Blyton (quotes on various subjects)

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A great topic!

When things go wrong - "The best way to treat obstacles is to use them as stepping-stones. Laugh at them, tread on them, and let them lead you to something better." (Jimmy's mother in Mr. Galliano's Circus.)

On faces - "I think people make their own faces, as they grow." (Joan Townsend in The Naughtiest Girl Again.)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Great idea for a thread, Catherine.

From memory, when I was reading EB's books as a youngster, many of her most memorable quotes were signposts to proper (moral) behaviour, and the fact that she was (unlike most other contemporary writers for children) able and willing to paint some of her adult characters in an unflattering, uncompromisingly critical light was a big attraction. Pity I never thought to keep a notebook with examples as I read, but I'll be on the look-out from now on.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

There's this one from the Sea of Adventure: "Friendship - loyalty - staunchness in the face of danger - they and Bill both knew these things and recognized them for the fine things they were".
I found it intimidating even as a child.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

On being a judge of character - "The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them - I grant you that I may quite well be taken in by them - the point is that I know a good person when I see one." (Snubby in The Rubadub Mystery.)

On acquiring useful skills - "I'm good at exploring roofs. You never know when that kind of thing comes in useful." (Snubby in The Rubadub Mystery.)

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:On being a judge of character - "The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them - I grant you that I may quite well be taken in by them - the point is that I know a good person when I see one." (Snubby in The Rubadub Mystery.)
This is one my favorite Snubby moments. Thanks for putting it up Anita.
Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

In First Term at Malory Towers Miss Potts advises Darrell: "You will be a finer character if you go along on your own, than if you copy other people. You see, what you do, you do whole-heartedly - so if you play the fool, naturally other things will suffer".

Following on from Darrell's description of her surgeon father, a whole-hearted man who "...just goes in for giving back people their health and happiness with all his heart - so he's marvellous", Miss Potts comments: "... when you choose something worth while like doctoring - or teaching - or writing or painting, it is best to be whole-hearted about it. It doesn't so much matter for a second-rate or third-rate person. But if you happen to have the makings of a first-rate person and you mean to choose a first-rate job when you grow up, then you must learn to be whole-hearted when you are young".

I wonder which people, close to Enid's heart, she was referring to? :wink:
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Doctoring - Kenneth Darrell Waters
Teaching and writing - definitely herself.

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Spot on, Ming!

That's the message I also got. I think this was an opportunity for Enid to express her attitude towards her writing - whole-heartedly, and her admiration of her husband's work. Did she do this in any other books?
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Lizzy Farrell in House-at-the-Corner writes several short stories, encouraged by Great Aunt Grace. Darrell Rivers whole-heartedly writes a play in In The Fifth at Malory Towers. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I really love the speach Miss Grayling gives all of the new girls at Malory Towers. I don't have it to hand, but it is about getting a lot out of MT and giving a lot back.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Dorcas' speech on beauty is beautiful - "There's more beauty in your face, seems to me, than there ever was in Mrs David's — and I'm not talking about skin and eyes and nose now, Mam. I'm talking about character. Your nature's writ plain in your face and makes it beautiful to all your family-yes, and to me too. But you'll look in vain for that kind of beauty in Mrs David's face!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ming wrote:Dorcas' speech on beauty is beautiful...
I agree. It's one of my favourite Enid Blyton quotations. I love the part that follows that as well, when Blyton writes that "beauty came unexpectedly into her [Dorcas'] face too at moments," when she was teasing Susan, or fussing over a motherless lamb, or working hard at some urgent task.

Anita

Society Member
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Ming wrote:Dorcas' speech on beauty is beautiful...
I agree. It's one of my favourite Enid Blyton quotations. I love the part that follows that as well, when Blyton writes that "beauty came unexpectedly into her [Dorcas'] face too at moments," when she was teasing Susan, or fussing over a motherless lamb, or working hard at some urgent task.

Anita
That was my favourite too! I really should have remembered that. I've also got to read Six Cousins Again.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Another one from Mistletoe Farm: "You're trying to escape from your difficulties, and there never is any escape from difficulties, never.They have to be faced and fought."
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)