Ginger beer

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Moonraker

Re: Ginger beer

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:Better stock up before the sugar tax!! ;-)
I only drink sugar-free GB!
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

These days, in the 21st century, almost all Ginger Ale is "dry". This type of Ginger Ale was made popular by the "Canada Dry" company. This modern "dry" Ginger Ale does NOT taste very much like Ginger Beer.

However, there is an older style of Ginger Ale that I think is technically called "Golden" Ginger Ale.

It's like tennis. A long time ago, tennis was a sport played indoors, in a special court, and you could bounce the ball off the walls and so on. Then someone invented a new style of tennis called "lawn tennis". And that became so popular that when people said "tennis" they almost always meant "lawn tennis". And so the older version of the game was renamed "real tennis" or "royal tennis".

So first there was "Ginger Ale", and then there was a new kind of Ginger Ale called "Dry Ginger Ale". But that became so popular it became the default. When people said "Ginger Ale" everyone just assumed they meant "Dry Ginger Ale". The older style is now called "Golden Ginger Ale."

It is very hard to find the older style of "Golden Ginger Ale". But here in the state of Michigan, in the USA, there is a company called "Vernor's" that still makes the old style Ginger Ale. When we order this here in Michigan, we just ask for a "Vernor's".

My point was that Ginger Beer tastes very similar to this older style "Golden" Ginger Ale, like Vernor's. It does not taste very much like the more common "Dry" Ginger Ale.

But to describe the taste to someone who has never tasted either Ginger Beer or the old style "Golden" Ginger Ale, the best description I can come up with is that it tastes like a very very strong Dry Ginger Ale.

Also note that alcoholic versions of Ginger Beer have been available since the 19th century, it isn't a new thing for Ginger Beer to be alcoholic. But our Enid Blyton heroes are definitely not drinking the alcoholic version! (The kids in Arthur Ransome's book "Swallows and Amazons" also drink Ginger Beer, but they pretend it is "grog")

I think that technically Ginger Beer is supposed to be brewed, similar to the way beer was brewed. But I think nowadays it's often made by adding flavoring to carbonated water. I think this then is technically "Ginger Beer Soda" or "Ginger Beer Flavored Soda".

KEVP
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
I refuse to eat or drink anything laced with Aspartame! 8)

I know some people argue that there's no proof - but if we are using a chemical sweetener that even the USA have banned, then there's something iffy about it! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:I had such high expectations for Ginger Beer after reading the Famous Five books.
I badgered my Dad to buy me some when I was little.
I was really surprised and quite sad to find I didn't really like it at all.
I don't drink ginger beer, can't drink ginger beer, have never had the slightest desire to drink ginger beer, but that doesn't in any way lessen my enjoyment of Enid Blyton!! :wink:

(Actually, when I was little, apart from ginger beer, the thing we always noticed as a recurring staple for the Famous Five and other characters was not only ginger beer, but tinned tongue. "Tinned tongue and ginger beer!" is still the catchphrase in my family for all things Blytonian. 8) )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit, although I've often drunk ginger beer, it's not one of my favourite drinks. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:(Actually, when I was little, apart from ginger beer, the thing we always noticed as a recurring staple for the Famous Five and other characters was not only ginger beer, but tinned tongue. "Tinned tongue and ginger beer!" is still the catchphrase in my family for all things Blytonian. 8) )
What exactly is tinned tongue anyway? You read it a lot in Enid's books, but I've never seen it, at least not to my knowledge. Never been tempted to try it though, it doesn't sound very nice compared to the other food all her characters eat.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Mmmmmm...

Actually,I do like Tesco's delicatessen fresh tongue that they slice for you at the meat counter.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
I refuse to eat or drink anything laced with Aspartame! 8)
Tesco Sugar-Free Ginger Beer contains no aspartame.
Society Member
pebe

Post by pebe »

In the French editions from 60s and 70s, the Five drink BEER in the Treasure Island! :D
It's a mistake for the translation of ginger beer :roll:

Would you have pictures of old bottles of 1942 "ginger beer" or "ginger pop" (named by Julian in Five On A Treasure Island)? I don't find anything by google.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I remember bottles such as this one in the 1950s:

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I remember them with great fondness, Nigel. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, so do I, Eddie. I am sure this was what the four would have bought from village shops.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pebe wrote:In the French editions from 60s and 70s, the Five drink BEER in the Treasure Island! :D
It's a mistake for the translation of ginger beer :roll:
All the more reason for her books to be banned or censored, hmmm? Look what dreadful habits she could lead young children into... :twisted: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

No wonder the Five went on to have another 20 adventures - it wasn't their cousin George or the island they were interested in - just the beer George sneaked away to store on Kirrin Island! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Something occurs to me.

Children in France start drinking alcohol at a very early age, at least that's what I have been led to believe. Would it be very strange for French children the age of the Famous Five to be drinking beer? Or other alcoholic beverages?

But in another thread you told us that the translations into French took out a scene where they visited a church. Perhaps this is the conspiracy of continentals to portray all English as irreligious beer-drinkers, and imply that they get that way at an early age?

kevp