The Enid Blyton Dossier

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Re: The Enid Blyton Dossier

Post by Maureen1954 »

:D :D :D Image :D :D :D

Just bought my edition of Tonys Dossier he co authored!! Cant wait for it to arrive now!! As a subtle hint and being bold once It arrives and I will read it straight away of course is there any possibility Tony that I could post it back to the UK to you with return postage of course and have you autograph it for me please ???? I would be so honored and it will be a great family heirloom for years to come.

Cheers and Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Maureen,you're in for a treat.it's a really great book. I constantly dip into it to feast on the sumptuous illustrations and fantastic book covers scans of so many of her original hard backed books.

It's a big tall book,so hope you've tall bookshelves to display it on!

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Pete!! :D
OOOOooooo now I am more curious and ty!! No probs with antique style bookcase ,its 2.5 metres high with glass doors and I am currently creating a Enid Blyton Museum in it with what I have collected so far.Just may start charging admission prices to the rellies and extra 1 GBP for hiring of white gloves to touch anything :P
Famous Five Forever!!!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Maureen1954 wrote:Is there any possibility Tony that I could post it back to the UK to you with return postage of course and have you autograph it for me please ???? I would be so honored and it will be a great family heirloom for years to come.
Whilst I would willingly sign it, it would be an incredibly expensive thing to do for a return journey. It is a large book and would cost an awful lot of ginger beers to do this. I would suggest that you find yourself a nice bookplate and send it to me and I will willingly sign that, although I am not too sure about the heirloom part!

You should be getting your first Journal soon as I posted it several days ago.
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Awe thank you soooooo much Tony and ah dohh!! why of course post you a bookplate what a super and most logical idea!! I will now go hunting for a nice bookplate.

Re heirloom it definitely will be because of all your effort,time,vast knowledge,dedication etc etc etc :P :P :P

Many thanks again and .....

Cheers & Gingerbeers

:D :D :D Maureen :D :D :D
Famous Five Forever!!!
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi again!!

My copy of Tony's dossier arrived safe and sound and it is in immaculate condition considering it said used,the book was really hard to open so to speak!!

Its a wonderful book Tony well done!!! As you said Pete ....
Maureen,you're in for a treat.it's a really great book. I constantly dip into it to feast on the sumptuous illustrations and fantastic book covers scans of so many of her original hard backed books.
Tony thank you re signing of the bookplate which I have ordered and I will post it to you as soon as it arrives and it will DEFINITELY be a heirloom!!! :)

Cheers & Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

On this side of the world, my attempts to get a copy of the Dossier has been an exercise in futility. However, I will keep on trying...Maybe Tony should consider converting it into an e-book format. The impression so far I have got is that the book was printed in very limited quantities.
Stephen I.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Enikyoga wrote:On this side of the world, my attempts to get a copy of the Dossier has been an exercise in futility. However, I will keep on trying...Maybe Tony should consider converting it into an e-book format.
Dossier as an e-book, no way. The layout and images of this book are so special. I regularly lift this book off the shelf and dreamily work my way through it, positively drooling over the images of the gorgeous items displayed there. Always enjoying the book just as much as the first time I opened it. There is no way this atmosphere could be created through an e-book.

I'm happy to read a novel as an e-book but this type of book I need to feel/touch.

Aussie Sue
Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

I agree with you there Aussie Sue no way an ebook!! & nice to meet you Aussie Sue!!

For Eniyoga .........

There are a few copies on Ebay for sale!!!!!!
Famous Five Forever!!!
Tony Summerfield

Thank you so much for your kind remarks Maureen and Sue (and Pete). There are still plenty of copies of the Dossier around in the UK, but as Stephen seems only to want to buy things in America I fear he is going to be out of luck. It was however a properly published book with a decent print run and I would guess there are more copies of it around than the Anecdotage!

Whilst I can take credit for almost all the images and much of the text, the credit for the wonderful layout goes entirely to my co-author, Brian Stewart, who sadly was killed in a cycling accident about two years ago.

I agree about an ebook, it would be a mistake, but that would be down to the publisher and as he went out of business at the time the book was published I would guess there is no chance of that. I am delighted that the book actually got published at all by like everybody else who was involved with the book I didn't get paid a cent for doing it! The book was actually remaindered before it was published in order to pay the printers!!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

In my incredibly busy exam schedule I took the time to sit down and go through the Dossier today with Aarham since he pulled out my copy while rifling through my book case. He thought it looked very attractive. We spent a good few hours reading out pages to each other and Aarham also designed his own cover for the book. I would scan and upload an image, but my scanner's malfunctioned.

Sorry to hear about Brian's accident, and also all the trouble you faced prior to publication, Tony.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

As you say, Ming, it makes a nice picture book and I know I was really puzzled when Brian and I were asked permission for a braille edition to be produced by the people who publish books for the blind.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Thank you so much for your kind remarks Maureen and Sue (and Pete). There are still plenty of copies of the Dossier around in the UK, but as Stephen seems only to want to buy things in America I fear he is going to be out of luck.
Tony, I have just confirmed ordering a copy of your book, surprisingly from an American seller/vendor on Amazon at agreat discount of only $4 [which I consider to be a giveaway price for book with outstanding reviews) (including shipping). Hopefully, the book will be a great treat for me this Christmas season. I had been trying to get a hold of this copy literally from the time it was published in 1998 or to be precise, when my interest in Enid Blyton was rekindled the following year in 1999. It seemed that for a long time the book was impossible to obtain outside of the UK and had not been available even on Amazon while I was conducting research for my book. Nonetheless, it is heartening to note that I have at last secured a copy of your book and looking forward to a voracious read of it this holiday season.
Stephen I.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Stephen,you're in for a treat.It's a great book.One that every Enid Blyton enthusiast should own.I'm sure you will really enjoy it! :D

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I am at a loss to understand how a seller in American can be selling the Dossier for 1 cent + $3.99 postage!! Also according to the listing on amazon.com it is published by abs, who I have never heard of and nor is my name mentioned as one of the authors. Solid reward for the months that I spent on the book!!!!