I Always Think.......

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: I Always Think.......

Post by pete9012S »

I really would like to try that Pepsi Max Ginger...I must remember to buy some!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Rob Houghton wrote:I generally don't drink any fizzy 'pop' these days - and hardly any cordial either - as most of it contains Aspartame - which I refuse to drink. All this sugar talk, and then they get rid of sugar and put a cancer inducing chemical in their drinks instead. grrr! :evil:
Glad to hear a fellow forumite who avoids Aspartame like the plague. I've been aware of it's nasty ingredients for years. :evil:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

How I wish I could send you guys some Australian 'Bundaberg Ginger Beer' to try. I always hated ginger beer, i.e. the ginger beer my mother always made when we were children.

When we moved to Queensland for a few years I reluctantly tried 'Bundaberg Ginger Beer' wow I was hooked. I don't know anyone who has tried this one and doesn't love it. Yum.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I too avoid anything with Aspartame on the label. If's it's banned in most countries, then that's good enough for me. Old Jamaica beer doesn't have aspartame in it, and so it's the only fizzy drink I buy.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy and Julie - I'm pleased I'm not alone!

Aspartame is also addictive, apparently, which is why so many people drink a LOT of sugarless drinks! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sainsburys diet lemonade doesn't contain it.My wife won't drink any other fizzy drink.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

You lot encouraged me to buy some Old Jamaica ginger beer today - without Aspartame! ;-) Haven't had any for ages but just fancied some. Cheers! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I think I'll stick to Old Jamaica ginger beer in future after reading the comments about Aspartame.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I had a look at the orange lucozade today, and see that it is indeed sweetened with Aspartame! No wonder you've 'developed a taste for it' lol! Its very addictive. :shock: Because Aspartame supplies amounts of Dopamine to the brain, it keeps 'users' of Aspartame 'high' and feeling in a good mood, thus, cutting it out can result in withdrawal symptoms.

Here's a list of withdrawal symptoms after stopping Aspartame -

Anxiety: One symptom that people may notice in a subtle way is some anxiety. Aspartame can have an influence on moods and affect anxiety levels in sensitive individuals. In various self-accounts, people have noted excessive anxiety when she stopped drinking her powdered aspartame drinks.

Appetite changes: In some individuals, aspartame can subtly increase appetite and cravings for junk food. In other people, it may reduce appetite. When you stop your consumption, do not be surprised if your appetite changes.

Concentration: Many individuals report that they feel mentally foggy for a short term during withdrawal. However, eventually many have reported experiencing increases in concentration and less deficits in attention and hyperactivity.

Cravings: Perhaps the most common symptom to experience is that of cravings. Anything that has an influence on dopamine in the brain can lead a person to crave more of the substance. Be mindful of any cravings that you have during your withdrawal.

Depression: When people aren’t getting their fix of aspartame and withdraw, they can sometimes end up with a low-grade, mild depression. Keep in mind that this isn’t going to be the case for everyone, but stopping it may result in a temporary mood dip.

Dizziness: If you experience dizziness when you stop drinking diet soda, it may be more due to the caffeine withdrawal than that of aspartame. However, some individuals have reported experiencing minor dizziness when they quit aspartame.

Fatigue: Aspartame may have an influence on your energy levels and excitation in the brain. When you stop consuming it, you may become temporarily lethargic or notice that your energy levels are low.

Headaches: Another commonly reported symptom during withdrawal is that of headaches. Some have gone on to say that they’ve experienced painful migraines as they’ve come off of aspartame. Stay hydrated, rest, and consider headache relief medicine if your headaches are severe.

Heart palpitations: With increased anxiety during withdrawal can sometimes lead to palpitations or sensations of abnormally loud or racing heart beat. These should subside as soon as your anxiety diminishes.

Insomnia: Do you notice that you cannot fall asleep at night now since cutting aspartame? This is something that may affect you in the initial few weeks of quitting. Your sleep cycle should recover and your arousal should drop.

Joint pain: Some people have noted joint pain when they quit using aspartame. You may also note some degree of muscle weakness and/or body aches.

Lightheadedness: There is no specific reason for feeling “lightheaded” when quitting aspartame, but it is a symptom that some people experience. Ironically some people actually get this symptom when they drink aspartame as well.

Mood swings: As was mentioned, you may experience both anxiety and depression during withdrawal. These alone can lead a person to have mood swings during the acute phases of withdrawal (i.e. first couple weeks).

Panic attacks: This isn’t really a common symptom, but some individuals have noticed that when they withdraw from consumption of aspartame, they experience significant anxiety and panic. If you notice yourself becoming panicky, take the time to realize that it’s likely due to your withdrawal. Practice some deep breathing and relaxation techniques to help calm your nervous system.

Restlessness: Certain people may notice that they feel especially restless for the first week or two after they cut aspartame. This may have to do with aspartame consumption actually keeping an individual calm. When the aspartame is cut, it may make a person temporarily restless until their brain gets used to not having the additive.

Sleep changes: If your sleep cycle changes, it could be due to the aspartame withdrawal. If you are also cutting caffeine, it is more likely due to the caffeine than the aspartame. Any changes in sleep patterns should subside in a week or two.

Weight changes: It has been noted that aspartame can influence food cravings and hunger. Some people may lose weight when they come off of aspartame. Others may experience more normal cravings for food if aspartame acted as an appetite suppressant.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

And, for those who are interested - some information about Aspartame and its history -

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... emain.aspx

Sorry to derail this thread - but I feel very strongly about the fact that Aspartame is being used increasingly in the UK under the cover of 'sugar taxes' and 'sugar is bad for you' when the chemicals that are replacing it are even worse! :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the information, Rob. Scary!! No more Orange Lucozade for me. I intend to start checking the ingredients of the soft drinks I buy in future.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

'Cheers' Eddie!

Some critics say 'its not been proved'...but as Julie says, many countries have already banned it...and lets face it cigarettes used to be looked upon as good for you at one time! :shock:

The annoying thing is, since the 'sugar tax' began being talked about, manufacturers have been jumping on the bandwagon and replacing sugar with artificial sweeteners - the main ingredient of which is often Aspartame. Over the past year, most cordials (even Robinson's Barley etc) have moved from sugar to Aspartame, and many diet/low sugar items such as cakes and yogurts etc now contain it. Its growing more and more common, and no one even knows it!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member