Enid Blyton Museum Piece

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Katharine

Enid Blyton Museum Piece

Post by Katharine »

Yesterday I visited the Time and Tide Museum in Great Yarmouth. I found it's mix of exhibits very interesting, however I was stunned by one display near the end. After looking at fossilised mammoth teeth, broken Roman pottery, and a recreation of the houses in Yarmouth from the Victorian era, I was confronted with a display of toys and memorabilia from the 1960s - 1980s. There on one of the shelves was paperback FF book, with TV cover.

Noooooooooooooooooooo I'm not old enough for my childhood to be in a museum!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Enid Blyton Museum Piece

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: How do you think I felt recently when I visited the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green and saw toys I grew up with in the 1980s and '90s on display as museum pieces?? :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ha ha, glad I not the only one then.

I must get to visit that museum, it sounds lovely, and Bethnall Green isn't that far from here.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

It is lovely, Katharine. You can even see the first-ever "Golliwogg" there, and a very smart and handsome toy he is! The label on him warns that he's a racist stereotype, of course, but if I had had him when I was little, I would have thought he was a toy to be proud of.

One thing from my own childhood that I did find heartwarming to see was a musical toy train identical to the one we had when I was a baby - it runs along the floor (battery-powered) and plays nursery rhymes from little plastic "records" that slot into the top of the engine. I used to love that. Happy memories, although a little sad to see it sitting forever on a shelf behind glass instead of entertaining children like it should!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ouch, I've just looked at the train fare - £45 return. My mother, daughter and I went to Great Yarmouth yesterday for much less that that. I don't think I'll be planning a family outing to Bethnal Green. :cry:
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ooh, yuck. :x Well, it's worth keeping in mind anyway - you might find a way to combine it with a trip to London for other purposes. Also worth using a site like thetrainline.com to look for cheap tickets. If you book several weeks in advance, sometimes there are very cheap seats going. I recently managed to book an advance ticket from Swanley (Kent) to St Austell (Cornwall) for £23.50 - the usual price is over £100!!
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I hope they had a 'Troll' figure or a 'Cabbage Patch' doll in the museum with a label on it explaining they are also racist stereotypes? :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think there were 3 trolls and a Cabbage Patch kid - didn't notice any labels though. :wink:
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been to the Museum of Childhood twice now. Wonderful, fascinating place that both brings back the memories and also is very educational about things you didn't know. I was especially pleased to find an old red locomotive that I used to own but had actually forgotten all about until seeing it there!
Courtenay wrote:One thing from my own childhood that I did find heartwarming to see was a musical toy train identical to the one we had when I was a baby - it runs along the floor (battery-powered) and plays nursery rhymes from little plastic "records" that slot into the top of the engine. I used to love that. Happy memories, although a little sad to see it sitting forever on a shelf behind glass instead of entertaining children like it should!
My brother had one of those. He used to drive us crazy with it!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Yesterday I visited the Time and Tide Museum in Great Yarmouth.
I hope you weren't late.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

:lol: :lol:
Society Member