Two Go Camping In Blyton Land

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Willow House

Two Go Camping In Blyton Land

Post by Willow House »

Hello, everyone.
I know I'm still a new member here and, due to pesky old real life being utterly bothersome, I haven't posted here for a jolly long time, but I wanted to share some simply splendid news.
I'm off camping tomorrow, on a farm but a stone's throw from Kirrin Castle! I've packed ginger beer, big juicy tomatoes, lovely green lettuce, plenty of tinned fruit and shall purchase fresh eggs from the (in my head) ruddy cheeked and kindly farmer's wife. HURRAH!
This is, of course, perfectly gorgeous. I just wish I could take my trusty cat (Mr.Whiskers, but not the brownie from the Enchanted Wood, just a very beautiful white cat) with me to aid in any adventures upon which I might stumble. He'd be just super at falling down wells, mewing when an enemy came near or finishing up any scraps we might leave.
I'm hoping to pop in to Ginger Pop and buy 50 golliwogs and every copy of the Adventure Series in first edition hardback, complete with dustcovers and autographs. But, in truth, I'll be on the trail of that queer looking chap with the slicked back hair and trench coat who's been sending telegrams overseas.

Ta-ta!
Moonraker

Re: Two Go Camping In Blyton Land

Post by Moonraker »

Sounds fun!

I'm off to Blyton-land, as well, today. Whispering island, in fact. We are taking our food, including ginger-beer!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Ooh lovely Nigel..... have a great day and give my regards to the red squirrels.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sounds fun, Willow House. Ginger Pop shop have a lot of second hand books in too if your interested in the original text. :)

Nigel, you lucky thing. I'd love to visit Brownsea! The nearest I've got is a boat trip around the island! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

lucky old you . mind you , i`m off to stay with sophie smallwood , enid`s grandaughter for a coulpe of days in july and we are going to marwel zoo near portsmouth! we have been friends since the old famous five club days ,
are there ant EB badges in the ginger pop shop? :)
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow, what a lovely lot of trips planned.

Julie, I hope you get to visit Brownsea Island. I went there for an afternoon last year, and it was beautiful. I would advise a whole day for a visit though, we felt half a day wasn't long enough.

Sue, I hope you have a lovely time with Sophie - I met her at the last EB day, and she was really nice.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Great stuff, Nigel. Hope you have a fantastic time! :D
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Nigel, you lucky thing. I'd love to visit Brownsea! The nearest I've got is a boat trip around the island! :roll:

8)
So would I, Julie, as I have never been to Brownsea either - I haven't even had a boat trip around the island! :cry:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's a date then, Tony. We'll take you on a trip around the island. Sadly we won't be able to land because we have a dog! But the boat trip is fab and takes you around all the little islands. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've been to Brownsea Island and saw quite a few red squirrels. I had always associated it with Whispering Island in Five Have A Mystery To Solve and was disappointed when it turned out to be nothing like it. I hope you both get there one day, Julie and Tony.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hope you have fun on your adventure, Willow House. Sounds like a cracking plan! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope people are having/have had fun adventuring!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Nigel, you lucky thing. I'd love to visit Brownsea! The nearest I've got is a boat trip around the island! :roll:
So would I, Julie, as I have never been to Brownsea either - I haven't even had a boat trip around the island! :cry:
Maybe you need to curtail your weekly day trips to London and visit Poole Harbour! You're always welcome to come with us on a later visit - and we have no dog to prevent us landing!

It's a long old day. We walked in the heat (although mostly shaded by woodland) for hours and were exhausted when we got home. It is odd that the NT are quite happy to say that Corfe Castle has a connection with Kirrin Island/Castle - yet totally ignores the fact that Brownsea was Whispering Island. No mention of this from the boatman in his commentary, either.

Interesting to see that Viv's old attraction was still up for rent/sale. Rather sad to see it now disbanded and going back to being a closed-down pub.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I found one National Trust volunteer on Brownsea Island who actually mentioned the Islands connection with Enid Blyton. This was on a short guided tour round the Church/farm/harbour of the Island. She must've been a fan of Enid's, but I never got the chance to chat with her afterwards. The ferrymen assume that the Moor in 'Go off to Camp' is based on Godlingston Heath & they also claim Enid wrote some of her F5 stories whilst She was up on the golf course! Where they get their knowledge from is a mystery! I'll have to ask a few of them when I'm down in July! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That does sound fantastic, Willow House! :D Hope to hear more about your adventures when you get back, if you'd like to share. Good on you for helping to keep Viv in business! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)