Home-Made Games Based on Blyton Books

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Home-Made Games Based on Blyton Books

Post by walter raleigh »

Those games look great Robert. I'm particularly impressed by the Famous Five one. It looks so detailed and professional. I used to make a lot of board games as teenager, but I'd supposedly 'outgrown' Blyton by then so I never thought to make one based around Enid's work.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

we had a very old version of the memory game - called 'Pairs' - (made by Spears Games) with good 'retro' pictures on them from the 1960's. A fun but frustrating game! :wink:
walter raleigh wrote:Those games look great Robert. I'm particularly impressed by the Famous Five one. It looks so detailed and professional. I used to make a lot of board games as teenager, but I'd supposedly 'outgrown' Blyton by then so I never thought to make one based around Enid's work.
Well - I made these in my 30's - so you're never too old! :-) I enjoyed making them as much as playing them - enjoyed the artistry involved, as well as working out the rules and various aspects of the games. :-) The Famous Five one actually had a box that looked like a picnic hamper, with inlays to hold cards etc that were painted to look like cakes, salt and pepper and sandwiches, complete with a cloth gingham lining! Obviously intended as a luxury collector's game. ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just in case anyone's interested - here's the box! ;-)

Sorry to be taking over this thread - I'll be quiet now! :oops: The Rollo tube was the dice shaker, by the way! ;-)

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Wow, these games look great, Robert. I particularly like the Naughtiest Girl one - that would have been huge fun to play as a kid. What a shame they weren't produced commercially - I'd buy them all. :)
Lucy-Ann
Favourite book/series: Adventurous Four/Enchanted Wood/Shadow Sheep Dog
Favourite character: Shadow, Lulu

Post by Lucy-Ann »

This is so marvellous and interesting :D Robert do show us more! Poppy how does your board game look like? :)
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Such wonderful games! They look really professional! I wish they were available to all.

I never made board games, but I did make a good deal of maps based on the Famous Five descriptions, to imagine what the different places looked like. Recently, I came up with a totally different project, of collecting the Famous Five meals, which seems like an interesting thing to me, and of course, once I am done, I can try all of them!
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The "hamper" is fantastic, Robert! I'd love to see the other games as well if you've got time to put them up.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Those games do look fantastic! :D I wish at least some of them could be produced commercially. I would have loved some Blyton board games when I was little (well, I still would!). My family used to sit down for a board game almost every Saturday evening (and sometimes during the week as well) for years. We had quite a lot of them - can't remember all of them just now, though I know Cluedo was one of our favourites - but I know we all would have enjoyed anything with an Enid Blyton theme.

I was just wondering if there were any Enid Blyton board games produced commercially during her time, so had a look in the Cave, and there were: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/game ... boardgames" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not really surprised to see that most of them are Noddy! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Daisy wrote:Yes, I know the Memory Game well - all my children used to enjoy playing it - and when the actual memory cards were not around an ordinary playing card pack could used instead - reds of the same denomination being counted as the same, and likewise the black ones.
Memory has become much fancier in the meantime. I remember it was painted motifs only when I was a child. Now they have photos from sightseeing attractions etc.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

They look great and very appealing, Robert. I wish I could try to play them. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Lucy-Ann wrote:Poppy how does your board game look like?
No where near as professional and as artistic as Robert's board games look!! :lol: I think we got rid of it a while ago, but it was black and white, and was basically a series of large squares circling the board inside the outline of my dungeon map! :lol: It wasn't very imaginative, I must say, but it kept us entertained for a while.

We really like board games - our favourites are ones like Junior Monopoly, Cluedo, and Scrabble.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The "hamper" is fantastic, Robert! I'd love to see the other games as well if you've got time to put them up.
Had a day out today to Kenilworth Castle (my ancestors were from the town of Kenilworth in the 1830's) and so haven't had much computer time, but will certainly post a few more photos if they won't bore people! :-)

I have a few more I haven't posted yet - an Amelia Jane card game, Noddy Donkey game, Galliano's Circus game, etc. :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Robert Houghton wrote:Had a day out today to Kenilworth Castle (my ancestors were from the town of Kenilworth in the 1830's) and so haven't had much computer time, but will certainly post a few more photos if they won't bore people! :-)
Not at all, Robert!!! Please post all your Kenilworth pics. I'm very much looking forward to see them.
I've been to Kenilworth Castle on my first trip to the UK in 1981 and took a few slides which I don't have any longer. :cry:
Isn't it somehow related to Sir Walter Scott or am I mixing things up? :?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was really meaning I'd post more photos of games :wink: :oops: ...but I will also post a few Kenilworth photos somewhere on this site :-) - I'm sure it's something Enid Blyton fans would like, as it's a castle! ;-) Its a lovely castle and quite a few good additions have been put in place in recent years - an Elizabethan garden, designed for when Elizabeth I stayed there has been recreated - and now they have stairs and walkways that allow visitors to go right to the top of the ruins - spectacular views! Yes - There was a book called 'Kenilworth' written by Sir Walter Scott - a fictional account of life in the times of Robert Dudley, who was trying to marry Elizabeth I. Robert Dudley lived in the castle. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
MrGoon
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by MrGoon »

Have to say those games look really impressive, Robert! Would love to try them out :D