Mr. Tantrum and the Fog

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Mr. Tantrum and the Fog

Post by pete9012S »

Mr. Tantrum and the Fog

I would like to 'nominate this short story as one of Enid's most violent.

https://imgur.com/a/tLA2q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps you can think of ones that are more violent than this one?
I don't know what the most recent version of this story published is, or if it has been edited at all?
Last edited by pete9012S on 27 Nov 2022, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid's Most Violent Short Story??

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've got 'Mr. Tantrum and the Fog' in Enid Blyton's Story Time Colour Gift Book (Purnell, 1971). The violence hasn't been toned down at all but for some reason "pillar-box" has been changed to "posting box", which sounds strange to me. I'm familiar with the terms "pillar-box" and "post box/postbox" but I've never heard anyone say "posting box"!

I only came across the story as an adult but I was quite shocked that Mr. Tantrum is left to believe he has killed someone! Interesting that his name alters when he changes his ways and he becomes known as Mr. Meek-and-Mild. Fascinating too that he has an Aunt Jemima and an acquaintance called Jiminy Jinks. I'm reminded of Mister Meddle, who has an Aunt Jemima and a friend called Jinks.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On Jan. 3rd, 2018 Pete stated he'd like to nominate 'Mr. Tantrum and the Fog' as one of the most violent of Blyton stories.

"Could anyone think of a better example?"

In the 'Holiday Book' version, no one actually died. Mr. Tantrum just knocked a fake head from off the top of a pillar-box, during which, he nearly broke his fingers and toes.

It's difficult to find an actual killing amongst the books although a brief search through any nature collection might bring up the odd hawk descending on a lesser bird. Stoat versus rabbit would also result in expiry of life no doubt.

One story I can recall however, culminated in several deaths due to a violent scrimmage still talked about to this very day. It occurred in Windy Street where an altercation took place over superiority illusions. Every person involved thought he or she was better than anyone else, and tempers became frayed.

The conflict began with shouting and screaming followed by smacks and punches after which weapons came into play. Faces were cracked, clothes ripped, and bodies terribly abused. It resulted in maybe half a dozen or more deaths at the cessation of hostilities. Several inhabitants of the dwelling in question who'd refused to take part in the fracas, benefited from their decision.

This tale, which could be considered a slight deviation from the Enid Blyton code, appeared in 'Rainy Day Stories.'
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ah yes - 'The Battle in the Toyshop' is a memorable tale. I assume the broken toys could be mended though (they are to be sold cheaply at a jumble sale) and would then still be capable of "coming to life" when humans weren't around.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Mr. Tantrum and the Fog

Post by pete9012S »

Read this story by clicking the link below:

Mr. Tantrum and the Fog - Sunny Stories No.252 Nov 7, 1941 - 4th Holiday Book - Best Ever Story Book -
https://imgur.com/a/tLA2q
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member