60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Post by Rob Houghton »

Coming shortly! As the first issue is dated 1st January, I thought I'd wait until the New Year.

:D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Post by pete9012S »

Ooooh you tease Rob!!! - Still, it fosters an almost impossible period of salivatory anticipation that will surely only be sated and quenched by its eventual arrival!

Dare I admit I got mine out prematurely and gazed longingly at this weeks centrespread?

No, perhaps that would not be wise, as Rob would most definitely be within his rights to have a right rumble and chuff at me and be about as mad as a truck full of cats and dogs!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol:

glad you're so 'chuffed' Pete :-D

At least you can read the magazine in anticipation! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well - here we are in a new year with a new batch of Enid Blyton Magazines. We start with this issue -

The cover shows an illustration from the first story - A Wonderful Fancy Dress - illustrated by Anne Read - who s one of my favourite magazine illustrators. I've read this story in The Butlin Beaver Annual number 3, 1964, and its quite a nice little story, though nothing very exciting happens, except that a little girl dresses up to go to a party. One interesting aspect of the story is that 'Doreen' dresses as a 'South Seas girl' - complete with brown makeup so that she looks tanned. Given the furore in 2017 surrounding children dressing as Disney's 'Moana' and putting brown makeup on, I should think this story would not be republished these days, which is a shame, especially since Enid describes Doreen as 'a lovely dark-haired brown girl'.

Enid's first Editorial letter of the year gives us details of Enid's New Year's resolution - the one she always makes and tries to keep - 'Be kind!' - I wonder if Enid always stuck to this...? ;-)

Once again, Enid tells us of the Christmas cards she received from children - they are on my bookcases, on my tables, round the walls on the little shelves there that run around the room - well, in fact everywhere that I CAN stand a card! How many are there? Well, we gave up counting after 500! They come from all over the world and are the gayest collection you ever saw. Thank you, children, and thank you, too, those of you who sent little gifts and did not put in your address. Three of you, who gave no address, sent me six beautiful hankies which you had embroidered with my name, and I could see what a long time you must have spent over them - so I send a special thank you to you - and also to 'Jackie' who made me really beautiful models of Big ears and Noddy! These came from New Zealand (and arrived in good time, Jackie!)

The Tale Of Twinky surely has to be one of Enid's more intriguing titles for a short story! The story is uncollected, and has lovely illustrations by an uncredited illustrator, which is a shame. There were so many good artists who went uncredited! The story revolves around a squirrel - called Twinky - and how two children look after it when they find it almost dead in the woods.

PUZZLE PAGE -

SUNBEAMS PRIZE PUZZLE -

Can you find the names of girls and boys hidden in the following sentences?

a) He pulled the rope terribly hard.
b) He can play the banjo and the guitar.
c) This bed has a low end, you know.

FAMOUS FIVE PRIZE PUZZLE -

What am I?

Although I like to live in the sea
I lay all my eggs on the land,
Quietly at night I come ashore
And bury them deep in the sand.

A PUZZLE FOR MY BUSY BEES -

Can you find the name of a farm animal hidden in the sentence below?

"is my marrow placed fifth or second in the competition?"

A Puzzle For The Secret Seven follows, with Chapter 6 - An Afternoon of Hard Work! This chapter has another illustration that doesn't appear in the finished book version -

Unlike those in the Famous Five story, often the Secret Seven illustrations were completely different, as you can see from the illustration above. In the book, the episode is illustrated as below -

After the centre-spread of Rumble and Chuff - as Pete mentioned above, featuring a truck full of cats and dogs - we get chapter 13 of Five Get Into A Fix - with a super illustration that again doesn't feature in the book. Here's the book version -

But I must say, in this instance, I prefer the magazine version, which is much more lively!

This fortnight's episode features two Eileen Soper illustrations, rather than just one - and the second is one of those 'spot the difference' illustrations like in the last issue in 2017, except this time the differences are slightly more marked - not least the angle and the fact that the magazine offers us a closer-up image. Here are the two illustrations - the book version first, followed by the magazine illustration - again, I personally prefer the magazine version - and I think the blue highlighting works better than the red which was used in the book.

A book advert follows, asking readers What to buy with your book tokens and goes on to suggest several books by well-known authors - 'To Outer Space' by Capt W.E.Johns, Five Go To Billycock Hill by Enid Blyton, Green Sailors To Gibraltar by Gilbert Hackforth-Jones, Flame Takes Control - by Eric Leyland and Drina's Dancing Year - by Jean Estoril. :-D

Twiddle and the Very Big Dog is the next short story - and this is also sadly uncollected. Its a typical Twiddle story - very amusing - about Twiddle and a very big dog called Goliath (a Great Dane) who is VERY friendly. Of course, Twiddle gets mistaken for a little short man who always feeds the Great Dane, and gets followed by the dog and jumped up, because he's carrying a large bone which makes him smell very much as the man who feeds him usually smells! All good fun!

This issue is a lovely one - a Famous Five chapter, a Secret Seven chapter, a short story about a squirrel, a Twiddle short story, and also the cover story about Doreen dressing up! these magazines were certainly very good value for money , even though by 1958 they cost four and a half pence each! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks very much for continuing with these write-ups, Rob. I've only had a quick look at your post for now but I'll read it properly later.

Sorry there are no scans of uncollected stories etc. this time, but sadly Tony is in hospital recovering from an extremely nasty illness which has gone to his chest. He is making a gradual recovery but it will take some time for him to regain his strength so his scanner, like Tony himself, is currently having a rest. I know everyone will wish him well and look forward to having him back with us.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't often get around to reading this thread, but am glad that I have and spotted that Tony is not well. I hope he makes a speedy recovery, and send him my best wishes.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for letting people know, Anita. I wish him a speedy recovery. Its not good to hear our Leader isn't well! :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you for the write up, Rob. And thank you for letting us know, Anita.

Hope Tony will recover soon from the illness. Best wishes from me.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We have just visited Tony and he is in good spirits. He is progressing well and is being monitored, so he is happy to be in safe hands!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Good to hear that Nigel.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you. Hope he will be home soon.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:We have just visited Tony and he is in good spirits. He is progressing well and is being monitored, so he is happy to be in safe hands!
good to hear! :D Hope you gave him a hug from us all!

I hope The Cave of Books is safe while Tony isn't around...maybe you should be on sentry duty, Nigel!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m sorry to hear that Tony has been unwell, but pleased to learn that he is progressing well. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm glad Tony is on the mend. Nigel has kindly been keeping me informed of Tony's progress since he went into hospital the day after Boxing Day, so thanks for that, Nigel.

Speedy recovery Tony. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Wishing Tony a speedy recovery. Another super review, Rob.
Society Member