The Secret Of Spiggy Holes - Sunny Stories 1939

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Secret Of Spiggy Holes - Sunny Stories 1939

Post by pete9012S »

The children piled themselves and their belongings into the wagonette and grinned at the farm-lad, who looked a jolly sort of fellow. He got up into the driving-seat, cracked his whip and off they went trundling over the six miles to Spiggy Holes....

It was wonderful country that they passed through. The sea lay on one side, far down the cliff, as blue as the sky above. The cliffs were magnificent, and the coast was very rocky. Here and there the sea splashed around enormous rocks, and washed them with white spray....
The Secret of Spiggy Holes – Ch.1: Off for the Holidays
Illustrations: E.H. Davie
Book: The Secret of Spiggy Holes, Basil Blackwell 1940
I wondered if the illustrations by E.H.Davie were exactly the same in the Sunny Stories serialisation as the book which was published a year later?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Re: The Secret Of Spiggy Holes - Sunny Stories 1939

Post by Aussie Sue »

Pete, the lovely illustration on the front of Sunny Stories is sadly not in the book. But all the other illustrations in Sunny Stories are in the book.

It is such a pity that coloured illustration wasn't used. The coloured illustration in the book was done by Harry Rountree and I can't say I like it at all and the children in his picture don't look like the E H Davie children throughout the book.

I love children as portrayed by E H Davie.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Spiggy Holes used to be my favourite EB book as a child! :D I love the Sunny Stories cover.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks Sue for that information. I had tried to buy the copy posted above,but I couldn't see it for sale anywhere.

How many of us have got full or almost full collections of Sunny Stories (The Enid Blyton era)?
There are a lot to collect, that's for sure!!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've got about 100 copies of Sunny Stories - mainly the later issues. They're lovely little magazines and I find the covers very attractive. Sadly, I don't have the one with the Spiggy Holes cover by E. H. Davie.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Spotted a large collection for sale with a good provenance here:
Enid Blyton Sunny Stories. 364 different weekly magazines from 1937.
About this Item

A magnificent collection of 204 ENID BLYTON SUNNY STORIES-NEW SERIES weekly magazines. These magazines cover the period from 1937 to 1953 and are made up as follows. Magazine Numbers. Quantity. 0-99.2 100-199 .5 200-299.13 300-399.59 400-499.81 500-553 .44 These have been collected over many years and include those that were bought from Hartley 's Auctioneers at their sale on the 15th September 2010. This sale included many items belonging to the Estate of GILLIAN BAVERSTOCK (nee Pollock) 1931-2007 who was the eldest daughter of Enid Blyton. The majority of these magazines are in a very good condition, however there are a few that do show some signs of age. Individual numbers are available. A fantastic number of magazines for any old or new ENID BLYTON collector. Will sell individual issues at prices of £25.00 each for the very early numbers down to £5.00 each for the later ones.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... d%2Bblyton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm a bit puzzled about the wording of this ad. One part says 364 different weekly magazines and the other part says 204. How many magazines are being sold? Am I missing something? :?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,that confused me too Eddie.At the price being asked for the set I would think it was an important detail!
Wonder if the seller realises?

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

His name is Brian. I bought 64 individual Sunny Stories magazines and 2 Sunny Stories For Little Folks magazines from him. I think he had not updated the title of the item hence 364 was wrong.

I only need around 150 Sunny Stories or so to complete my collection of Sunny Stories magazines. I really need to sit down and update my list.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

The abebooks entry of sunny stories has been there ever since the auction of Gillian's books which was in 2010 and he has obviously been selling some over that time.
pete9012S wrote: How many of us have got full or almost full collections of Sunny Stories (The Enid Blyton era)?
There are a lot to collect, that's for sure!!
This question had me checking my collection and I still have more missing than I thought. Getting them all is quite a task and quite a cost.

I have 182 of the 250 Sunny Stories for Little Folks and 405 of the 552 Sunny Stories so still a way to go.
I agree with Pete, the sunny stories magazines really do take us back to Enid's early time. Lovely.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

182 Sunny Stories For Little Folks is very impressive. How did you acquire them, Sue?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Sixret - 150 of them were offered to me in one lot, but I had to really pay for them, took a lot of deep breathing before I agreed to purchase them. But they are lovely.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

It is an investment, Sue. You're very lucky. :D

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am missing 18 Sunny Stories, so you can do a bit of maths and see that I have 535 copies. I do have all the uncollected material scanned from the 18 on my computer, but I have done nothing about trying to get hold of the missing copies as I haven't bought any in the last ten years.

I only have 35 copies of Sunny Stories for Little Folks as I cannot afford the astronomical prices that are asked for them. I have seen all 803 issues in the two series as obviously I couldn't have produced my three indexes without doing so!! Sadly I do not have copies of the uncollected material in Sunny Stories for Little Folks.
sixret

Post by sixret »

Whose collection did you see, Tony? It's a relief you have those uncollected materials from the 18. In a way, you have the complete 553 Sunny Stories.

I really hope that uncollected materials in Sunny Stories For Little Folks would be uploaded in EBS someday.