A question about magazines

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: A question about magazines

Post by sixret »

Yes, I do have them, IceMaiden.

IceMaiden, if I were you, I would have considered buying these 2 lots below:

If you really want to build Enid Blyton's magazines collection, these two items have very reasonable prices.

I tell you, they are very good bargains. These bargains are too good to miss because they are seldom being listed on Ebay.

78 issues for £59.99 plus £9.99! A great bargain.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-78-Vintag ... Sw5UZY-HAk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

48 issues for £25.00 plus £2.90! You can't ask for more.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Enid- ... Sw42dZDccI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

If you buy these 2 lots, you would have got the complete set of Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3 and Volume 4. In addition you have 12 magazines in Volume 5. :D

You just need another 14 magazines in Volume 5, 27 magazines in Volume 6 and 12 magazines in Volume 7. In total, 53 more magazines to go!

Trust me, Enid Blyton's magazines are to seek for if you really a true Enid Blyton's fan because there are so many uncollected short stories, picture strips plus Enid Blyton's letters! You won't regret buying them! :D

On the other hand, you may delay buying Enid Blyton's Sunny Stories because the huge majority of the short stories have been collected in book forms so it is more worthy for you to buy the books. Most of the books are not that hard to find. You can always buy the cheap copies. :D

Hope this help.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

By the way, you can buy At Seaside Cottage in Knight paperback edition. You can get it for just below £5 or cheaper. :D

IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Thank you Sixret :) . I have bookmarked those for now as there is no way I can afford them for the time being, no matter how much I'd like them, as I've bought back issues of the journals and only just finished paying off four months worth of books that I bought off someone else too, so the magazines will have to wait as I can't possibly get those as well! I will try to get them in the future though, when I've collected all or most of the books I need I think I'll start on them.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:By the way, you can buy At Seaside Cottage in Knight paperback edition. You can get it for just below £5 or cheaper. :D
I have that version - but I think the 1947 version hardback was what was being searched for. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just checked out the magazines, as I have a few gaps in my collection. Unfortunately the second set listed are collection only, and it wouldn't be worth the train fare to go and pick them up. :cry:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think it's near impossible to own EVERYTHING she ever wrote as there's just so much considering how many things were repeated. Even just trying to own what you might consider the main works is hard as there's random things that are harder to find/much more expensive than other books in their respective series.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

sixret wrote:Yes, I do have them, IceMaiden.

IceMaiden, if I were you, I would have considered buying these 2 lots below:

If you really want to build Enid Blyton's magazines collection, these two items have very reasonable prices.

I tell you, they are very good bargains. These bargains are too good to miss because they are seldom being listed on Ebay.

78 issues for £59.99 plus £9.99! A great bargain.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-78-Vintag ... Sw5UZY-HAk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

48 issues for £25.00 plus £2.90! You can't ask for more.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Enid- ... Sw42dZDccI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bump!

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote:I think it's near impossible to own EVERYTHING she ever wrote as there's just so much considering how many things were repeated. Even just trying to own what you might consider the main works is hard as there's random things that are harder to find/much more expensive than other books in their respective series.
Exactly what I was thinking! If sixret really does own every book bar one that Enid wrote, she can at least count them up and we will have a definitive total number of books written.
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Moonraker wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:I think it's near impossible to own EVERYTHING she ever wrote as there's just so much considering how many things were repeated. Even just trying to own what you might consider the main works is hard as there's random things that are harder to find/much more expensive than other books in their respective series.
Exactly what I was thinking! If sixret really does own every book bar one that Enid wrote, she can at least count them up and we will have a definitive total number of books written.
sixret wrote:I mean the EB's novels for her long stories under novels/novelettes. Yes, I have all of them except Benjy and The Others. A couple of which I have in booklet form published by EBS. All true first editions/dws except Secret Island, two titles in 8 Bom series and several titles in 24 Noddy series although I have all 24 in dws.

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I love the sound of Sixret's collection and would love to see some pictures of all her books if possible?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Pete.

IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I don't want to start another thread on the same subject so I hope its ok to add to this one.

I want to know if it is possible to obtain all the EB magazines or not? I have the first 48 so far, I intend to get the others as well but are there any issues that can't be got or nearly impossible to find?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its quite possible to get all issues. I think Pete has them all...or almost all, so he would be the best to advise you. I have all of 1956, 1957 and 1959. I have personally found that the first and last issue are the hardest to find.

The main problem with collecting the full set is that they are often only available to buy as 'bundles' - and many sellers don't give details as to issue numbers, so it can be a bit of a gamble finding the issues you need! A bit like buying packets of 'Panini' stickers!! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,I have them all.Rob is right.You sometimes have to buy bundles or job lots of them to complete your set.
If I remember I did a swap with Rob for some that I didn't have that he had and vice versa.

I'm sure shadow or spitfire helped me too???

Then,when I had got my complete set I gave away all my extras for just the cost of the postage to forum members who wanted copies.

I think that's the way to get a whole set.It doesn't take too long or cost enormous amounts once you start searching for them in earnest.
Last edited by pete9012S on 19 Jun 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member