80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Tony Summerfield

80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am copying a very good idea by Rob here, and probably making a problem for myself in the process! :D If nobody is at all interested I may well stop - 'tidak apa'!

As this was a weekly magazine I have decide to do a month at a time, simply putting in some of the uncollected material in the process, some illustrations and any uncollected stories and poems as and when they appear.

So my first month is January 1937 and this just has issue nos. 1, 2 and 3.

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/magazine ... ?magid=201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it can be seen on the relevant page I thought I would also put the very first letter here just to get the thread going.

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: 80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wonder how many hopeful children sent off their work to Enid for her to put into this little magazine. And I can imagine their joy whoever was the lucky chosen child. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff, Tony! I like D. V. Berry's illustrations for the strip 'The Five Little Pigs' - simple yet bold and dynamic.

The pictures for 'Spot' and 'Grumpy Mr. Gregg' are charming.

I've often thought that the drawing of "Old Thatch" at the top of the editorial page (also used for the front cover of the book Tales of Old Thatch, I think) doesn't actually look like Enid Blyton's home in Bourne End. It's a thatched cottage all right, but it doesn't seem to be Old Thatch. Not that it really matters!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Great idea Tony! I'm also flattered I inspired you to do it! :-D I look forward to new additions every month! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This is a marvellous provision from Tony.I would like to thank him for doing this for us very much indeed.
Where else could many have access to these hard to track down excellent publications.

The tea thread has a new rival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Things will get better as we go on, as with these three magazines I don't actually have copies myself. David Schutte kindly lent them to me to scan the covers and the picture strip and I did the rest of the uncollected material on the inside as well. As far as Adventures of the Wishing-Chair are concerned, it was just those title pictures which weren't in the first edition, so all the other pics can be found as they are already in the Cave. I also haven't done the pics from the centre page strip as these are in a Society booklet already.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great to see these items that are even older than I am. Thank you, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Does anyone think this little snippet gives an insight into Enid's view of an author writing a piece of work and not putting their own name on it?

How then would she feel about someone knocking out trashy work and sticking her name all over it?
Sorry,yes we already know.We have been told she would have been overjoyed about it...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Interesting to see the illustrations for 'Spot of Trouble' in the second Sunny Stories are supposedly 'uncredited' - but very obviously drawn by the same illustrator as The Treasure Hunters - Joyce Davies.

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

As an afterthought I have decided that I will also add some of the poems that have appeared in later books as in their original form they are all so beautifully set and illustrated. So I have already added 'The End of the Chase' to No. 2.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Tony. 'The End of the Chase' is most amusing and has been brought to life beautifully by Hilda McGavin.
Rob Houghton wrote:Interesting to see the illustrations for 'Spot of Trouble' in the second Sunny Stories are supposedly 'uncredited' - but very obviously drawn by the same illustrator as The Treasure Hunters - Joyce Davies.
Well-spotted!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:Image

Does anyone think this little snippet gives an insight into Enid's view of an author writing a piece of work and not putting their own name on it?

How then would she feel about someone knocking out trashy work and sticking her name all over it?
Sorry,yes we already know.We have been told she would have been overjoyed about it...
Well said, Pete. :evil: :twisted:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Obviously the publishers have something many Blyton fans would love! - A direct line to Enid Blyton herself. :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

More wonderful treasures in the Cave, the poems are beautifully decorated and the picture strips are super. Many thanks Tony.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Tony. A very worthy thread! Looking forward to reading the next four instalments next month. The last of which has one uncollected story. It's a treat! :D
'tidak apa'!
I was shocked when I read it last Wednesday! I could understand it very well but I am not sure whether the rest of the forumites will understand the phrase. :lol: :wink:
Things will get better as we go on, as with these three magazines I don't actually have copies myself.
Hear! Hear! There are many uncollected stories as we go on. I have been devoting myself to reading as many Enid Blytons' uncollected stories as possible. So I am looking forward to reading the next instalments! :D
Interesting to see the illustrations for 'Spot of Trouble' in the second Sunny Stories are supposedly 'uncredited' - but very obviously drawn by the same illustrator as The Treasure Hunters - Joyce Davies.
Well done, Rob! I have checked my The Treasure Hunters book published by Newnes. Billy looks very similar to John in The Treasure Hunters! The same face features down to the white shirt with tie! Refer to illustration in page 44 in The Treasure Hunters. Definitely both re illustrated by Joyce Davies.

I have finished sorting out my Sunny Stories! I have 255 individual Sunny Stories. I need 297 more to complete my Sunny Stories collection! The lowest number that I have is no. 27 Halo, Sooty-Face! Looking forward to no. 27 and more! :wink:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!