60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: Our Letter Page features an interesting letter from Denise Richey, who lives in Melbourne, Australia. She writes -

Dear Miss Blyton, I hope this letter reaches you. I have always read your books and they make me very happy. I live in the heart of the city of Melbourne. We live in the sky, in a Pent House, 14 storeys high, and early in the morning it is lovely. I can see all the city and the sea and the mountains, and at night-time all the city lights like coloured stars, and from my bedroom window I watch the big boats and ships coming and going out. I do hope you get my letter. I remain your friend, Denise Richey.
:D :D :D :D :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Are those Pent House apartments still there? :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks as always to Rob and Tony for the write-up and scans. I enjoy this thread and I too hope you'll continue with the magazines in 2018, Rob.

Here's a link to this week's issue:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's lovely to see the photo of the winning Sculptorcraft model. I'd have loved a Mr. Pink-Whistle model-making kit as a child.

We also learn that eight-year-old Barbara Tonge won the competition associated with The Camerons Lead the Way and chose a West Highland Terrier as a prize. I hope her parents were genuinely happy for her to have a dog and hadn't signed the permission form thinking that she probably wouldn't win!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:Are those Pent House apartments still there? :D
Well, I don't know exactly where in "the heart of Melbourne" she's talking about! :wink: Presumably towards the south of the city centre, to be able to see the sea and watch "the big boats and ships coming and going out" on the Yarra River, which is where the docks are. We do have plenty of high-rise buildings with penthouse apartments at the top throughout the city — very sought after to this day, of course. I remember some years ago a friend visiting from America was staying in one — we were with a group of mutual friends in the city one night and he took us up to see his flat. It was a very posh one and the views, even at night, were incredible! "All the city lights like coloured stars" indeed — and many, many more now than when Denise was writing in 1957, no doubt.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great stuff, as always. Many thanks Rob and Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I like the Sculptorcraft model of Mr Pink-Whistle, I can't imagine a 14 year old girl being interested in Mr P-W these days but it is a beautiful model. It was interesting to compare the two illustrations from the Famous Five story, I wonder why the magazine illustration wasn't used in the book? They are so similar that if I hadn't seen them side by side I would swear they were the same.

It's been a pleasure to journey through the pages of the Enid Blyton Magazine for 1957, thank you so much, I hope we can continue into 1958.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Rob and Tony for this excellent co production.

I've been enjoying Rumble & Chuff - a story I would never usually consider reading.
Are the articles in The Magazine all extra to the stories that were printed in the books about Rumble & Chuff?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... +AND+CHUFF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Kate Mary wrote:I like the Sculptorcraft model of Mr Pink-Whistle, I can't imagine a 14 year old girl being interested in Mr P-W these days but it is a beautiful model.
I still enjoy Mr Pink-Whistle stories (and would love to be able to paint a model like that) and I'm somewhat over 14! :lol: :wink: Enjoyed the Noddy story, too. And yes, I wouldn't mind the Noddy Train Game for Christmas either!! :D

Thanks again, Rob for the write-up and Tony for the scans — these tastes of EB Magazine are a delight and I hope you'll be able to continue next year.
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I too have enjoyed reading these "old" stories and also am impressed by the value of some of the prizes on offer!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks as always to Rob and Tony for the write-up and scans. I enjoy this thread and I too hope you'll continue with the magazines in 2018, Rob.

Here's a link to this week's issue:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OOPS! Thanks Anita...I forgot to include it! :oops: Now rectified! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:Thank you Rob and Tony for this excellent co production.

I've been enjoying Rumble & Chuff - a story I would never usually consider reading.
Are the articles in The Magazine all extra to the stories that were printed in the books about Rumble & Chuff?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... +AND+CHUFF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rumble & Chuff stories in the two books all came from Wife and Home. There were also five uncollected stories and this is the final one.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=2335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The picture strip in the Magazine was specially written for it and has not appeared anywhere else which is why I have included the scans.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Are those Pent House apartments still there? :D
Well, I don't know exactly where in "the heart of Melbourne" she's talking about! :wink: Presumably towards the south of the city centre, to be able to see the sea and watch "the big boats and ships coming and going out" on the Yarra River, which is where the docks are. We do have plenty of high-rise buildings with penthouse apartments at the top throughout the city — very sought after to this day, of course. I remember some years ago a friend visiting from America was staying in one — we were with a group of mutual friends in the city one night and he took us up to see his flat. It was a very posh one and the views, even at night, were incredible! "All the city lights like coloured stars" indeed — and many, many more now than when Denise was writing in 1957, no doubt.
Interesting - thanks Courtenay! I just wondered whether there were Pent Houses that looked like 1950's ones, lol! ;-) I'm sure there are loads, but maybe in the 50's there were a lot less, as you say. I thought you might find the letter interesting - as indeed did I - proving what great EB fans there were in Australia back then. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:I like the Sculptorcraft model of Mr Pink-Whistle, I can't imagine a 14 year old girl being interested in Mr P-W these days but it is a beautiful model. It was interesting to compare the two illustrations from the Famous Five story, I wonder why the magazine illustration wasn't used in the book? They are so similar that if I hadn't seen them side by side I would swear they were the same.

It's been a pleasure to journey through the pages of the Enid Blyton Magazine for 1957, thank you so much, I hope we can continue into 1958.
Thank you for your comments as always! :-D I can't imagine a 14 year old making and painting a Sculptorcraft model these days either...although perhaps her younger siblings had the set, and she decided to have a go! :-) It certainly paid off!

The Famous Five illustration this week was very similar, as you say. In fact, in some ways I prefer the magazine version - the man's face is so much better than the strange face depicted in the book! I presume it was to do with copyright, and the magazine being published by different publishers to the book...not sure.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:Thank you Rob and Tony for this excellent co production.

I see Tony has already answered...but just to add a little more to what he says - no - the picture strip is different to the book - but has the same sort of plot - beginning with the train 'running away' from the nursery where its badly treated, and going on adventures with Chuff. The books are illustrated in full colour, but aren't picture strips - they are full text stories with illustrations. :-D Well worth having if you find them at a reasonable price. Mine were quite expensive - about £16 - £20 each. There are two. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you all for your comments. Despite having reservations about continuing...its heartening to see so many comments! I daresay I will continue into 2018 - as I am a bit of a completest and would really like to continue through to the final issue in 1959. We'll see!

Then I may go back to earlier years - but I think I only have 1955 complete so far. 1953 and 54 are missing quite a few issues. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member