60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Post by Rob Houghton »

Carlotta King wrote:Found the 9th! Was difficult though! I could've done with Jack here!
Well done! I've still only found seven - but I'll keep looking!!

It would be great to see your Noddy badge, Tony! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Great review again, Rob. I didn't care for The Penny Stamp Men, the men seemed to be intent on drawing attention to themselves with their rudeness and it didn't appear very likely. Then I read the last paragraph!
56 kittens? :shock:
My favourite Secret Seven illustrator was Bruno Kay, I liked his depiction of the children better than Sharrocks.
I've found seven birds in the sentence so far.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I felt the same about The Penny-stamp Men' - and like you, I was taken aback when I read the last paragraph!

I also prefer Bruno Kaye - but strangely, Sharrocks' illustrations don't seem so bad in the magazine as in the books! :? Not sure why!

I've only found 7 birds too - Obviously we wouldn't have won the prize, John!! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I'm so intrigued to know which birds you've found and if you struggled with the same ones I did but we'll spoil it for everyone else if we talk about them! :(

To be fair I only found the last one by chance, I was just carefully dissecting every possible word/s and wondered if it was an actual bird, and it was! :lol:
I know most birds but this one was a name I hadn't heard of, I know the bird by a different name, not this one!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Intriguing! I definitely haven't found that one yet!! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

No chance of me winning an Enid Blyton book either, I can find only eight. It would be interesting to read the newspaper report behind the first story, it's lost in the archives somewhere. Another enjoyable review Rob, it's lovely to read the stories in the Cave.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A great write-up, Rob, and thanks for adding the stories to the Cave, Tony. :D

I agree with others who have said that the behaviour of the men in 'The Penny Stamp Men' was sure to attract attention, though I enjoyed reading it anyway. I like these short adventure-type tales. As Kate said, it would be interesting to see the newspaper report of the real-life incident that inspired the story.

'Bessie's Little Donkey' is sweet and Brer Rabbit is always amusing to read about even though, as Rob remarked, many of the Brer Rabbit stories are predictable.

An interesting editorial. I'd love to know if Linda Hooks still thinks about that party - and whether she kept the books.

I'd never heard of the Schoolboys' Exhibition (where Enid spent two days autographing) so I looked it up and came across some clips on YouTube. I couldn't find a clip for 1957 but there is one for 1959. It was held at Olympia in London and, despite the title, at least one girl attended!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoS8w6BwxE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed finding the nine birds hidden in the sentence. One of them comes up quite frequently in crossword puzzles.

Hearing about Jacqueline Rubeli knitting blanket squares reminded me of when my sister and I knitted blanket squares for people in Ethiopia during the 1980s.
Rob Houghton wrote:Lastly we have an advert, telling us that Noddy invites you to meet him and his friends every Monday in TV COMIC! I'm sure Anita will be rushing out to order her copy. :-D
I'd rather buy Bessie's donkey! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you for the clue Anita, I've found the ninth bird.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I've found all nine birds now too — that last one was tricky! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:It would be great to see your Noddy badge, Tony! :-D
And so you shall, Rob! As promised. :D This image is bigger than the actual badge, which is similar in size to the Noddy Kellogg's badges.

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:-D Thanks Tony! They were strange looking badges in a way - Noddy looks a bit odd! - but I would have loved to own one. I'll have to keep an eye open for one that's cheaper than £25! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I do not know two clues only:

10A and 4D.

4D- Rowing?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

No, 4D is not rowing. If you have other clues like -A ----N and knew that 10A is Helmet, so you have -A--M-N you may be able to guess it now.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=904

Another new issue just arrived - and another great set of stories are inside - as you can see when you click on the link. Thanks as always, Tony! :-)

The cover shows an illustration from the first story - Hunt The Slipper its a good story but not exactly very exciting - however, I did like the fact that Daddy called the police - that gave an added punch to the story somehow! Again, it is a story that has never been published elsewhere - read it in the link above. It has some nice illustrations by Anne Read.

The Editorial is quite interesting and informative as always, with Enid telling us some snippets of her life at Green Hedges. Enid writes –

Are you glad that February is here? I am! The birds begin singing so early in the morning and go on until it is almost dark...

Something I’ve not really noticed yet – although the birds around where I live are certainly trying. The dark gloomy weather isn’t helping their mood – or mine!

Enid also tells us of the two nesting boxes she had for Christmas – given to her by Gillian. She plans to hang them up high, out of the reach of Sugar the cat, so that she can watch them being used. She also tells us of how, a few years ago, some blue tits nexted in an upside-down flowerpot she had left by accident on the vegetable patch!

Enid always had some interesting ideas, and I must admit I’ve never tried hanging out a lucky bag for the birds – it’s something I might try this year! Enid writes-

I hope you will do what I am going to do again this spring – put out a ‘lucky bag’ to help the birds in their nesting. I use an old net bag and stuff it with anything I think the birds will like to use for nesting material. I pull moss from the garden and dry it ; I stuff in some straw from the strawberry bed; bits and pieces out of the carpet sweeper; odd bits of wool; feathers from the hen-run; hairs from the cat or dog, or out of my own hairbrush. Then I hang up the lucky bag in a tree, on a long string, well out of reach of our cat. I put it in a place I cans see from my window, for I do love to watch the excitement of the birds when they discover this ‘furnishing’ material for their nests. They perch on the bag, examine all the contents carefully, and then peck out the piece they want – and away they fly to their nest, delighted. Then back they come again, and often there is quite an excited crowd of birds pecking bits and pieces out through the holes of the net-bag. If any of you hang out one of these lucky bags, do let me know what birds come to it.

Enid goes on to tell her readers how many letters she receives from them each week. Its amazing to realise just how popular she was, considering there was no internet, no facebook page, no Enid Blyton publicity online. She tells us –

I have had a GREAT many letters from you lately – one week I had over two thousand. I read every single one, but alas, I cannot answer half of them, because it would take me all my time to do so. So please do forgive me if you didn’t have a reply, and know that at least I read and enjoyed your letters. You sent me nearly two thousand Christmas cards too – and these I have now sent to people who need them for many things, so they have not been wasted. Some of them were so beautiful that they were worth framing!

Lastly, Enid asks – Has anyone seen their first snowdrop yet? My first snowdrop came out on Christmas Day – so I think I must have been the first to see a snowdrop, at any rate!

After Hunt The Slipper we have Our Letter Page and letters from three members of Enid's various clubs, telling how they have raised money with sales of work, or by foregoing birthday presents and donating the money instead. It's interesting to see the ages of these children, given that these days Enid Blyton is considered to be for Children under 10, as far as where shops sell them, anyway. Two girls who sent their birthday money for a present for Enid's Children's Home were both 13. 8)

Next we have chapter 10 of Secret Seven Mystery - and the continuing story of Elizabeth Sonning. Again, it has a nice illustration by Burgess Sharrocks, which is not in the book version. Interestingly, Sharrocks draws the same scene from a different angle in the book version, but I prefer the magazine illustration below -

Next we have the Puzzle Page and after last week's tricky bird puzzle this week's puzzles are much simpler. The Famous Five puzzle -

My first is in red but not in blue,
My next is in one but not in two
My third is in slope but not in hill,
My last is in Jack but not in Jill,
My all is a bird - in early morn
You'll find him him eating all the corn

And the Busy Bee puzzle -

Can you find the animal hidden in this sentence?

"The tub is on the floor."

8)

Following on from this, we have our second uncollected short story - Nancy's Coconut - another one which is based on a true story, apparently. Again, it's not really an amazing story - feels like a filler. In fact, none of the stories in this issue, in my opinion, are quite as strong as those in the last one. The illustrations for this are really nice though - I always love the illustrations that form triangles in the corners of pages, as there are here.

Next - an advert - What About a Noddy Theatre for your BIRTHDAY? - with two sets of scenery, seven actors (Noddy and all his friends) and two booklets containing three plays. All this for 18 shillings.

Next - talking of Noddy - the continuing saga of Noddy Went Too Fast! with Mr Tinny attempting to set Noddy's mind at rest - he's cleaned Noddy's house, swept the floors, made a lot of money using Noddy's car as a taxi - but he's made the money for Noddy, not for himself - and he hands Noddy a big bag of money...but Noddy doesn't smile - ungrateful thing - he howls and bursts into tears!! More next time! :(

Next - Five Go To Billycock Hill chapter 20. Next week will be the very last chapter of this Famous Five story. :-)

Next, we have a lovely photo of Our Magazine Club Party - showing the 100,000 member, Linda Hooks. You can see the photo in the link above. Thanks to Tony for adding this for me. :-D

The last short uncollected story is Micky's Muddle - my favourite story of this issue, although again, it isn't one of Enid's best, maybe. It's also a little confusing at the beginning - or maybe that's just me, lol - with various names such as Mr Shout-Alot, Granpa Twinkle, Old Man Trembly, Dan Do-Well and Ben Button-face. Great names, but they all come a bit thick and fast on the first page. Its a fun story - and aspects of it remind me of 'Pinocchio'... :wink:

Next - another advert - for Famous Five Puzzles - all 1/9 each - what a bargain! I wish I had them all!

They include - Five in Camp, Five In Smuggler's Cave, Five At the Circus, Five Go To Sea, Five Have A Moorland Picnic, Five On Kirren Island (spelt 'Kirren'!) Five Help With The Harvest, and Five At the Airfield

Another advert - this time for FREE stamps - The famous Monaco Grace Kelly - Prince Rainier Wedding Set - 3 handsome stamps for just 2d postage! :-)

Next we have Our News Sheet where Enid tells her Famous Five club members -

You will see, members, that the Famous Five serial is coming to an end next time so I shall, as usual, have letters from you with groans in them! But cheer up, I'll write another one for you as soon as I can. Any idea for titles? Presumably they came up with 'Five Get Into A Fix - one of those nondescript titles that indeed seems to prove that Enid was running out of titles!!

Enid also talks about her Sunbeams Club, saying We have 16,538 members now - not nearly as many as our other three clubs of course... Incidentally, just this week I purchased a Sunbeams badge - so now I have a badge from each of Enid's clubs, which was a slight 'ambition of mine! The Sunbeams badge is harder to find than the other three - and I guess that's because it had fewer members. :-)

One other thing caught my eye in the Club News, and that is Address Please! in which Enid talks of a young girl, Sandra Crane, who didn't send her address, but sent Enid a gift of all the ship-ha'pennies she had collected. I found this of interest because, by great coincidence the copy of 'The Troublesome Three which I received only today from eBay has the following dedication in the front - "Paul Mullimuise in appreciation for collecting 444 ship-ha'pennies...and the name of someone I can't read - maybe the name of a Scout leader or teacher. I'd never heard of collecting ship ha'pennies before, although I have a few in my collection of old coins.

So ends this fortnight's issue of Enid Blyton Magazine. Another brilliant issue! Enjoy the stories! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

How great that we can see a photo of the Club Party. I wonder where those children are these days. Be great if any of them read this and saw the picture of themselves, and tell us what it was like. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member