60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff, Rob - and Tony!

I'd also have been over the moon if I'd been able to write to Enid Blyton and she'd turned the contents of my letter into a story! The Two Money Boxes is most enjoyable, though I hope Daisy's mother didn't spend more money providing teas than Daisy made from letting children play with her dolls' house!
Rob Houghton wrote:An advert follows for Books For Christmas - and not just Enid Blyton books, although her book 'Five On A Secret Trail' leads the list, followed by The Green Poodles by Charlotte Baker, Jill's Riding Club by Ruby Ferguson, Green Sailors and Fair WInds by Gilbert Hackforth-Jones, Now To The Stars by Capt W E Johns, and Maori Jack's Monster by Frank Crisp. Make your choice for Christmas, readers! :-D
I wouldn't know whether to stick with an author I know (Jill's Riding Club by Ruby Ferguson) or try my luck with Green Sailors and Fair Winds by Gilbert Hackforth-Jones simply because the title sounds so alluring and adventurous.

The story of Kathleen, Moira and the cat just goes to show that Enid Blyton was prepared to address some of the sad things in life and didn't always present a "sunny" world to her readers. Even so, she was able to draw something positive from the terrible happening as she emphasised the girls' courage and willingness to try - qualities that she hoped other readers would also display under similar circumstances.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I forgot to mention that in the 'Club News' section, Enid tells us more about her Centre For Spastic Children - and there's a very good example of Enid's happy acceptance of any child, whatever their race or colour (something her modern critics would of course totally hate to see!). She says -

Some of you have asked me if we take into our little centre for spastic children only children from our own country. We take any child who is spastic, whatever his colour or race, if we have room! At the moment we have a little 3-year-old Indian girl, who cannot walk. She found our country very, very cold after India, and we had to wrap the little thing in a warm shawl. She has a specially built chair and is very happy now. She cannot talk, but she understands English, and that is a very good thing! We have a little Cypriot girl, too, aged three, who has only just learnt to crawl about. It is hard for these foreign children to come to a strange land, amongst strange people, but it is wonderful how happy they are once someone's genuinely kind and loving to them."

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great stuff indeed, Anita. Many thanks, Rob and Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks once again to Rob and Tony. I'm sure I knew someone who had a Robin Hood outfit but it may have been made by his mother. Good points about Enid's acceptance of ALL children, regardless of colour or infirmity, Rob.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I'd have loved a Robin Hood outfit for Christmas. My cousin Keith had one as well as a cowboy outfit, I was very envious, but being a girl I got a nurse's outfit. I hated it, ungrateful child! Thanks again to Rob and Tony. I hope you have many more issues of the EB Magazine to entertain us with Rob.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Most enjoyable.
Many thanks again to Rob & Tony for this very enjoyable series of reviews and stories.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Another good write up. Always continues to amaze me how Enid had so much stories inside her head. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:I'd have loved a Robin Hood outfit for Christmas. My cousin Keith had one as well as a cowboy outfit, I was very envious, but being a girl I got a nurse's outfit. I hated it, ungrateful child! Thanks again to Rob and Tony. I hope you have many more issues of the EB Magazine to entertain us with Rob.
;-)

I have a complete set for 1957 which should keep us going for a while!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=899

Here's this week's magazine, just arrived with a few Christmas cards! ;-) As always its a great issue, with two uncollected short stories - follow the link above to read them, thanks to Tony. :-D

The cover illustration is from the first story, all about Mr Pink-Whistle - Mr Pink-Whistle Is Rather Funny! Look for it in Mr Pink-Whistle's Big Book (1958). As I have the Big Book, I'm sure I'd read this before, but I don't recall it. Although I love Mr Pink-Whistle stories, he isn't my favourite, and I find many of his stories have very, very similar themes, so its easy to confuse them! The illustration is, of course, by Dorothy Wheeler, and adds a real touch of class to this issue! :-D

In the Editorial this time around, Enid tells us of all the 'many many new readers' the Enid Blyton Magazine has gained, due to Playways Magazine closing down. A sad time for Playways readers, but Enid has encouraged those readers to buy her magazine instead (sneaky marketing ploy!) She hopes she will soon get letters from 'my old Playways readers telling me how they like this one - and hope they will soon be wearing one of our badges!'

Enid also gives us news of her two stage plays, Noddy In Toyland and The Famous Five - and tells us she's had many letters from boys and girls who will be going to see one or the other or sometimes both! Enid hopes she will be there in person when these children go to see the plays, but warns them 'you can wave to me - but you must not come to find me, as the passages may get blocked, and then the fireman, who has to keep them clear, gets very cross' - its easy to underestimate just how popular Enid was back in the 1950s - so much so that her fans could cause a fire hazard!

Enid also tells us all about the Famous Five film many children have written from all across the world asking if the film will be shown in their countries - Ceylon, Australia, South Africa, India, New Zealand, Pakistan - and Enid is pleased to announce that - yes - the film will be shown in all of these countries. She reminds children to wear their badges so that they can recognise each other in the cinema.

It also seems that Noddy is about to premiere on Australian TV - in a new Noddy programme. 1956 was obviously a busy time for our favourite nodding man - as he is not only on stage in London, but also on TV in Britain and Australia, and standing in 'many big stores, nodding his head and holding out his hand for a generous penny or two - to help our various clubs, especially of course our little Children's Home here, where I live Noddy has also been chosen to appear as Christmas decorations on the walls of many, many hospitals this Christmas. Enid tells us I am so pleased to think he will be smiling down at boys and girls lying ill in hospital on Christmas Day. Good little Noddy! Lastly, in view of all our talk on the EB forums about writing Christmas cards and the 'stress' of planning for the Big Day - Enid signs off by saying Happy days to you in your own Christmas plans and preparations! Christmas Day will be fun - but all the 'getting ready' days are fun too, aren't they!

Next, we have the cover story about Mr Pink-Whistle - and following on from Mr PW we have the next chapter of Secret Seven Mystery - chapter five - which is an interesting chapter because its called 'Pam And Barbara Are Busy' - one of the few times these two girls are really involved in a Secret Seven mystery - although admittedly they seem only to take part in this episode so they can be foolishly tricked by Susie!

Next - Puzzle Page with all the usual prize-winning puzzles. Signed books to be won by all winners. Its quite surprising that there are few signed EB books for sale these days, as she seemed to have sent out an awful lot of them - maybe they are all waiting to be discovered in people's lofts! In the Sunbeams puzzle, Enid asks us to sort out the ingredients 'Mummy will put into her Christmas puddings this year - TUNS, STRRCUAN, NSAIRIS, and RULFO :-D

A Surprise For Henry is a really nice satisfying 'bully's revenge' story, uncollected, but now showing in The Cave. Its illustrated by one of my favourite EB artists - Marjorie Davies, with her usual lightness of touch, and its an entertaining little story, all about a bully, Henry, and how he gets his comeuppance. As my dad is named Henry (or usually called Harry) I often joke how baddies and bullies and villains were often named Henry or Harry in books and films of the 1940's and 1950's - including of course, many 'bad' EB characters. I wonder why 'Henry' got such a reputation?!

Next, after an advert for A Dumpy Book - at 3s 6d each - a present for an elder brother - if he likes SHIPS - buy him SHIPS AND THE SEA - If he likes TRAINS buy him RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD and if he likes AEROPLANES buy him AIRCRAFT AND THE AIR (what a daft title!!) we have the latest instalment of Noddy Went Too Fast - and I'm sure Anita is interested to hear what happens to Little Noddy this week! Yes, Anita - Little Noddy tries hard to get into his Little House For One, which has been taken over by the nasty clockwork man Mr Tinny - Gilbert Golly proves little help, so they call on Mr Plod, and make an official complaint! I bet you can't wait for the next instalment, Anita! ;-)

Next - Chapter 15 of Five Go To Billycock Hill - More News - and a Night Trip. We all know this story...and if you don't, then I won't spoil it too much by going into details. In this chapter mainly concerns listening to the radio to hear news of the aeroplane thieves.

Next we have an advert for a Special Christmas Offer for the Famous Five Sweaters and Windcheaters - 5/- per garment reduction on all orders received by December 29th Usually the sweaters are 27 shillings and 9 pence, 29 shillings and 9 pence for a zip front, or a little less for a polo neck. They come in yellow, with a brown badge, or flannel grey with a red badge. :-D

Another advert follows, suggesting children pester their parents for some 'must have' essentials - Children! Have you included ENID BLYTON'S MAGAZINE ANNUAL NO 3 and HOLIDAY HOUSE in your Christmas list? If not - perhaps you better had! ;-)

In The Toyshop Window is another charming uncollected tale - not too long, but it has a lovely period feel to it - a village feel - when life was simpler and toys were simpler too! I really enjoyed it - and it can now be read in The Cave following the link above. Its a typical 'one good turn deserves another' story, and maybe a little predictable - but still very enjoyable.

Following on from this story is the usual Some Things To Look For feature, which can also be seen in The Cave. Enid asks us to save our mistletoe after Christmas and put it out on the bird table, so we might spot the Missel-Thrush coming for a feed - and also to go into a barn and look for some bats, hanging upside down! I was surprised by the word 'Missel-Thrush' as I had presumed it would be spelled the same way as 'Mistletoe' rather than 'Missel'. This must be the original spelling, as nowadays it is more often 'Mistle Thrush'.

Our Letters Page has the usual collection of interesting and prize-winning letters - and this time its good to see that a little boy is one of the writers (most of the letters seemed to be written by girls!). Paul Davis gets Enid Blyton's seal of approval for making calendars instead of buying Christmas Presents. It sounds rather involved - sticking a picture onto a thin piece of wood, waiting for it to dry, cutting around the picture with a fret-saw, and sticking the cut out picture onto another piece of wood, painting the background, and sticking a calendar on the bottom. 8)

A little girl called Josephine Whittley tells us how, on a pack holiday with the Brownies, they went to Langton Matravers and to Corfe Castle. She writes - While we were there we went to Corfe Castle and saw part of your film 'Five On A Treasure Island' being made. Timmy the dog was funny sometimes, when he wouldn't do his part properly, and the camera men had to be very patient with him. I'm looking forward to seeing the film when it is ready.'

Next, some more adverts - for Noddy Picture Lotto - at 3 and 6 for a Cowboy Suit - only 16 and 11 and for every parent's nightmare - a Jazz Set - which comprises a drum kit, triangle, cymbal etc - I'm sure that was a present that went down well on Christmas Day, lol! :lol:

Lastly, in Our News-Sheet Enid tells us how the children in her children's home are all having a special Christmas treat - going to see Noddy In Toyland at the theatre. She also tells us how the Busy Bees helped a poor swan who was rescued from Cardiff docks, covered in oil, and how the swan was nursed back to health. This came about because the Busy Bees have a van, whose maintenance is helped by the membership fees of people joining the Busy Bees, so Enid is very pleased to report how successfully the swan was able to be nursed back to health and then released in a local park.

Enid also tells us - I am very pleased to report to you that our little spastic centre is one of the happiest places in London! It was especially happy one day when someone sent us a CAKE. I have put the CAKE into capital letters because it was such a BIG CAKE. It took two men to carry it in, and it was almost as big as the table it was put on! I wish you had seen it. We do get some generous presents, I must say. We have an aquarium and one of the fishes, called George, puts his mouth out of the water when he is hungry and takes food from our fingers. This is a great thrill, as you can imagine.

On the back cover is the usual advert for the Enid Blyton Diary 1957 - and a list of prize competitions that can be won by entering the competitions in this year's diary - you can win A bicycle or £10, a portable radio or £10, a camera or £5 and a watch or £5 - or book tokens valued at 50 shillings, or one of the many consolation prizes of books, as well as hand-writing prizes of a fountain pen or £3 No wonder the diaries were popular and often sold out!

Right! I could do with a nice new bicycle!

8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: It also seems that Noddy is about to premiere on Australian TV - in a new Noddy programme. 1956 was obviously a busy time for our favourite nodding man - as he is not only on stage in London, but also on TV in Britain and Australia...
Television came to Australia in late 1956, so Noddy must have been one of our first programmes ever! :D I didn't know that before.

Rob Houghton wrote:Noddy has also been chosen to appear as Christmas decorations on the walls of many, many hospitals this Christmas. Enid tells us I am so pleased to think he will be smiling down at boys and girls lying ill in hospital on Christmas Day. Good little Noddy!
Anita's worst nightmare... :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Superb, as always. Many thanks, Rob. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote: It also seems that Noddy is about to premiere on Australian TV - in a new Noddy programme. 1956 was obviously a busy time for our favourite nodding man - as he is not only on stage in London, but also on TV in Britain and Australia...
Television came to Australia in late 1956, so Noddy must have been one of our first programmes ever! :D I didn't know that before.

I didn't realise Australia didn't have TV until 1956 - so that explains what Enid writes in her editorial - And now a bit of news for my Australian readers. Noddy is to be on your television programmes as soon as they begin! I wondered what she meant by 'as soon as they begin' but now I realise that Noddy must have been on TV in Australia since the first time of broadcasting. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:In The Toyshop Window is another charming uncollected tale - not too long, but it has a lovely period feel to it - a village feel - when life was simpler and toys were simpler too!
I enjoyed 'A Surprise for Henry' and 'In the Toyshop Window'. When my son was little, he loved arranging farm and zoo sets and making up all sorts of stories about the animals and workers. Simple toys that require nothing but manipulation and imagination can be just as satisfying as complicated battery-powered toys that move and make noises - perhaps even more so, as the child often takes more of an active and inventive role.
Rob Houghton wrote:I'm sure Anita is interested to hear what happens to Little Noddy this week! Yes, Anita - Little Noddy tries hard to get into his Little House For One, which has been taken over by the nasty clockwork man Mr Tinny - Gilbert Golly proves little help, so they call on Mr Plod, and make an official complaint! I bet you can't wait for the next instalment, Anita! ;-)
I'm all ears :roll: (which makes me sound like a relative of Big Ears!)
Rob Houghton wrote:Noddy has also been chosen to appear as Christmas decorations on the walls of many, many hospitals this Christmas. Enid tells us I am so pleased to think he will be smiling down at boys and girls lying ill in hospital on Christmas Day.
Courtenay wrote:Anita's worst nightmare... :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
What an incentive to get better quickly and go home! :lol:
Rob Houghton wrote:Although I love Mr Pink-Whistle stories, he isn't my favourite...
He'd eat Noddy for breakfast! :twisted:
Rob Houghton wrote:Next, some more adverts - for Noddy Picture Lotto - at 3 and 6 for a Cowboy Suit - only 16 and 11 and for every parent's nightmare - a Jazz Set - which comprises a drum kit, triangle, cymbal etc - I'm sure that was a present that went down well on Christmas Day, lol! :lol:
I wonder if the Jazz Set reminded Enid Blyton of the drum kit she bought her first husband Hugh for his birthday one year!

Thanks as always to Rob and Tony for the write-up and stories!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: I didn't realise Australia didn't have TV until 1956 - so that explains what Enid writes in her editorial - And now a bit of news for my Australian readers. Noddy is to be on your television programmes as soon as they begin! I wondered what she meant by 'as soon as they begin' but now I realise that Noddy must have been on TV in Australia since the first time of broadcasting. :-)
Yeah, see how far behind we were in those days?? :P My dad was 10 at the time and remembers watching TV at home for the first time and how exciting it was. But good to know we had Noddy on our screens right from the start. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

An interesting couple of stories this week, many thanks. I'm struck by the fact that most of the stories from this period of the EBM feature real child characters rather than being fairy stories.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member