Blyton's Earliest Stories

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Blyton's Earliest Stories

Post by RainbowJude »

I'm loving wandering through the Cave of Books at the moment, especially the listings for the early years. Thanks so much for all the continuing hard work to provide a fantastic resource like this!

When it comes to the earliest of Enid Blyton's stories, am I right in understanding that prior to the appearance of Sports and Games in 1924, her only published stories were "The Adventures of Bob Bunny" and "Waddles"?

I've never really explored much of Blyton's early writing, so this is all pretty fascinating.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Blyton's Earliest Stories

Post by sixret »

We haven't seen you for such a long time, David. Good to see you back! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
RainbowJude

Post by RainbowJude »

Thanks! I do hover sometimes, although I don't often post.

Just to follow up on my question above, in a book like The Merry Moments Annual, which was published the same year as "The Adventures of Bob Bunny" and "Waddles" and where there are 8 stories "not credited to Enid Blyton", were those stories written by Blyton, or does nobody know who wrote them?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is actually just seven stories, David, as two of the entries are poems, but yes is the answer, if they are listed they are all written by Enid Blyton.

Coming back to your original question, there were plenty of stories written and published before Sports and Games. You need to look at the periodical section of the Cave and you will find stories under Teachers World, Merry Moments and The Leicester Advertiser. There are also a few adult short stories that were written even earlier in publications such as The Londoner and The Passing Show. All the adult stories are available to read in the Cave.
RainbowJude

Post by RainbowJude »

Perfect! Thanks, Tony!