60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:When my cars got chipped I used to paint them. Years later, someone told me they were worth far more chipped with the paint peeling off than they were after my attempts to smarten them up.
That reminds me of a so-called 'friend' of mine, 'Russell'. He wasn't really a friend as such...we had one of those friendships where he'd be friendly, then beat me up and trip me over coming home from school, and run off. One time he came round to my garden and started playing with my cars, and when he'd gone I noticed my old post office van had disappeared. it was an old one my Great-Uncle gave me - from the 1950's. I never knew what had happened to it, until a few weeks later when I went round to 'Russell's' and saw a collection of cars he had, including 'my' post office van. I could never prove it was mine...but I knew it was, because it was much older than his other cars, yet the paint was brand-new. He'd painted it bright yellow. I scratched some of the paint off and it was red underneath! Talk about a criminal mastermind!! :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm sorry I wasn't in your school Rob - I was a big lad for my age and would have gladly 'handled' Russell for you! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another fortnight gone already - and here we are looking at the last Enid Blyton Magazine of January! Already! :shock:

The cover shows an illustration for the first short story - When Susie Came To Tea! - which you can read by following the link below - many, many thanks to you Tony. :-)

I quite like it as a story, although its fairly predictable, and runs along a familiar track to many other similar Enid Blyton stories. I found it interesting that, in January, Enid was including a story about picking apples, but I guess it makes a nice change from using a winter setting. I also thought it was amusing that the girl in the story - who is aggravating, absent-minded, selfish, and a chatterbox - plus rather obnoxious - is named 'Susie'. Sounds like this was a name Enid associate with not very likeable characters! :lol:

In Enid's Editorial Letter we hear more about life at Green Hedges - and of how the January weather is more like March, with beautiful sunshine and blue skies. Not at all like the January of 2018 - at least in Birmingham! I worked out the other day that so far this month we've had about four sunny blue sky days! :-(

Enid also tells us about some squirrels, nesting in her roof. Unlike many people these days, who are appalled and want them removed because they are looked on as pests, Enid is 'delighted!' Although I know that squirrels can cause problems, chewing through wires etc, we also love to encourage them, and we have two or three who regularly come to the bird table to eat nuts we put out for them etc. Our cat loves them too, and enjoys chasing them, just as Enid's cat 'Sugar' does. :-D

Taking of changing perceptions, I was interested to read the letter from Maureen Whyte in Our Letter Page when she tells us of a visiting seagull. So refreshingly different from what we hear about seagulls these days -

Dear Enid Blyton,
One morning just before breakfast, I went into our kitchen. No one was there, except a seagull sitting by the open window! he cocked his head from side to side and stared at me. I saw he had a glint of mischief in his eyes, so I stood very still and waited to see what he would do. He crept in slowly, then he looked all around, and suddenly flew over to the table, pecked up a sausage and flew out again. When he reached the windowsill he said thank you in squawks! Nearly every day he comes down and f we pay no attention to him he knocks on the window with his beak. Now he will even eat out of my hand.

With love from Maureen Whyte.

Enid replies - This is a very interesting letter, Maureen, and I really think you deserve a prize too. It is not often that one can tame a seagull. I do hope you still have him as a visitor!

Next up - A Puzzle For the Secret Seven - chapter 8. This time we are treated to an illustration, by Burgess Sharrocks. I know I'm not alone in disliking his book illustrations...but I have to say, the illustrations he provided for the magazine are often much better and more lively. Here's this week's -

Much better, I think, than the one depicting the same scene in the book -

OUR PUZZLE PAGE

SUNBEAMS PRIZE PUZZLE -
Here are the muddled names of three of your friends. Can you sort them out and tell me who they are?

MR. LEWTDDI
MR. TAMPSP-OTUBA
MR. NIPK-STIWHLE

FAMOUS FIVE PRIZE PUZZLE -
What am I?
My first is in dish but not in plate,
My second is in week but not in date,
My third is in smile but not in sigh,
My fourth is in whether but not in why
My fifth you will always find is in neat
My whole is something that's nice to eat.

A PUZZLE FOR MY BUSY BEES
Can you find the name of a flower hidden in the following sentence?

"Do you think the carriage will pull up in time?"

The next uncollected short story is one I really enjoyed, because it was fairly unusual (although it did remind me of the book 'Noddy and Tessie Bear' as people will see if they have read that particular Noddy book! I enjoyed it, and I particularly liked the fact the old lady was rewarded...although the thought of what might have happened if she'd been standing in the wrong place is quite horrific!! :lol: You can read the story by following the link. Its illustrated by Susan Carruthers - but I'm afraid I'm not really a fan of her style.

After the next instalment of Rumble and Chuff - which you can see by following the link, we have the 15th chapter of Five Get Into A Fix - and a couple of Eileen Soper illustrations which are again very similar (but not exactly the same) as those that appear in the book! Another case of 'spot the difference' -

Here they are - in each case, the first one is from the Magazine, the second from the book -

After the Famous Five, and a rather nice painting competition picture of an owl on a branch wearing a scarf, we have the final uncollected short story - a Noddy story called Bumpy's Bell As always, its a simple story, but manages to be fairly entertaining. The one thing I always think about Noddy stories, though, is that they could all be a LOT shorter. Instead of stretching this story over six and a half pages, it could have easily been told in three. See it in the link below -

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=929

In Our News-Sheet this issue, we hear about a new Noddy book - 'You're A Good Friend Noddy!' - which was one of my favourites as a child. Enid also plugs to reprints of some of her bigger nature books - The Animal Lover's Book and The Nature Lover's Book. I have both and they are well worth having! :-D

Thanks Enid! See you again soon! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Enid may be delighted with visiting squirrels but I wish they would stop digging holes in my lawn. In the autumn they were burying nuts, now they are trying to find them again but the wily crows and magpies watched them being buried and stole most of them ages ago. In the previous editorial letter Enid mentions that she has both Red and Grey Squirrels at Green Hedges but I've only ever seen a Red once, on Brownsea Island, they must have been commoner back in 1958.

A nice trio of stories, I particularly enjoyed ' Out of the Blue', thank you Rob and Tony, and as Rob says Thanks to Enid too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Really enjoyed that one.Thank you Rob and Tony. Love the comparative Soper pics!

Just came across this which may be of interest:

So Much To Tell - The Biography Of Kaye Webb By Valerie Grove

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=M11 ... ge&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kaye Webb, a journalist with no publishing experience, burst into the world of children's books in 1961 and changed the face of children's publishing forever. Her child-like enthusiasm and shrewd business mind led her to become Puffin's most successful editor and the genius behind the Puffin Club, which opened up the exciting world of authors and books to children across Britain.

But whilst Kaye's professional life had worked out beautifully, her private life had been the reverse. Kaye had two husbands before her marriage to the artist Ronald Searle, and the torment of his sudden and shocking departure never left her.

Yet to the outside world Kaye Webb remained passionate and unstoppable.
This is the unknown story of the woman who brought the joy of books to children everywhere whilst battling the emotional pain that plagued her private life.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

That looks very interesting Pete but what is absurd about the strapline 'The only Magazine I write'? Enid used it so her readers knew she was no longer writing Sunny Stories. You would think the author would be aware of that fact. Still if I come across a copy of Kaye Webb's biography I should like to read it.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes, Kate Mary I agree, as even today on ebay lots of Sunny Stories magazines are put up for sale using Enid Blyton's name in issues published long after she had left writing them!

Vintage Enid Blyton Sunny Stories #156 1961
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Enid ... SwBgtZ3Oty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovely vintage Enid Blyton magazine from 1961. The paper is browned with age. All the pages are present and free of any marks. Please see photos for an accurate record of condition and note that due to work commitments I can only post on Friday or Saturday.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:That looks very interesting Pete but what is absurd about the strapline 'The only Magazine I write'? Enid used it so her readers knew she was no longer writing Sunny Stories. You would think the author would be aware of that fact.
Yes, that observation by 'the author' completely put me off ever wanting to read anything that the so-called 'author' wrote. If you can think the strapline 'The Only Magazine I wrote' is 'absurd' then I don't think much about your judgement regarding other things!! Enid had good reason to write that strapline, to tell children that she was no longer writing for Sunny Stories, as has been said. There was absolutely nothing 'absurd' about it. Odd choice of words, in fact!

Yes, Pete - I admit I've written messages to quite a few eBay sellers informing them that the 'Sunny Stories' they are selling have nothing whatsoever to do with Enid Blyton. Most ignore me. One seller acknowledged me, said they would alter it when they relisted, but didn't bother. I've given up writing to them nowadays, but I do wonder how many they sell, as to a collector it is quite obvious they are lying on their listing. Enid's name doesn't appear anywhere on them!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’ve just caught up with the latest posts on this thread. All most interesting. Thanks all. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Eddie! Unfortunately my original post always gets a bit swamped...but at least people are commenting! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Rob Houghton wrote:Another fortnight gone already - and here we are looking at the last Enid Blyton Magazine of January! Already! :shock:

The cover shows an illustration for the first short story - When Susie Came To Tea! - which you can read by following the link below - many, many thanks to you Tony. :-)

I quite like it as a story, although its fairly predictable, and runs along a familiar track to many other similar Enid Blyton stories. I found it interesting that, in January, Enid was including a story about picking apples, but I guess it makes a nice change from using a winter setting. I also thought it was amusing that the girl in the story - who is aggravating, absent-minded, selfish, and a chatterbox - plus rather obnoxious - is named 'Susie'. Sounds like this was a name Enid associate with not very likeable characters! :lol:

In Enid's Editorial Letter we hear more about life at Green Hedges - and of how the January weather is more like March, with beautiful sunshine and blue skies. Not at all like the January of 2018 - at least in Birmingham! I worked out the other day that so far this month we've had about four sunny blue sky days! :-(

Enid also tells us about some squirrels, nesting in her roof. Unlike many people these days, who are appalled and want them removed because they are looked on as pests, Enid is 'delighted!' Although I know that squirrels can cause problems, chewing through wires etc, we also love to encourage them, and we have two or three who regularly come to the bird table to eat nuts we put out for them etc. Our cat loves them too, and enjoys chasing them, just as Enid's cat 'Sugar' does. :-D

Taking of changing perceptions, I was interested to read the letter from Maureen Whyte in Our Letter Page when she tells us of a visiting seagull. So refreshingly different from what we hear about seagulls these days -

Dear Enid Blyton,
One morning just before breakfast, I went into our kitchen. No one was there, except a seagull sitting by the open window! he cocked his head from side to side and stared at me. I saw he had a glint of mischief in his eyes, so I stood very still and waited to see what he would do. He crept in slowly, then he looked all around, and suddenly flew over to the table, pecked up a sausage and flew out again. When he reached the windowsill he said thank you in squawks! Nearly every day he comes down and f we pay no attention to him he knocks on the window with his beak. Now he will even eat out of my hand.

With love from Maureen Whyte.

Enid replies - This is a very interesting letter, Maureen, and I really think you deserve a prize too. It is not often that one can tame a seagull. I do hope you still have him as a visitor!

Next up - A Puzzle For the Secret Seven - chapter 8. This time we are treated to an illustration, by Burgess Sharrocks. I know I'm not alone in disliking his book illustrations...but I have to say, the illustrations he provided for the magazine are often much better and more lively. Here's this week's -

Much better, I think, than the one depicting the same scene in the book -

OUR PUZZLE PAGE

SUNBEAMS PRIZE PUZZLE -
Here are the muddled names of three of your friends. Can you sort them out and tell me who they are?

MR. LEWTDDI
MR. TAMPSP-OTUBA
MR. NIPK-STIWHLE

FAMOUS FIVE PRIZE PUZZLE -
What am I?
My first is in dish but not in plate,
My second is in week but not in date,
My third is in smile but not in sigh,
My fourth is in whether but not in why
My fifth you will always find is in neat
My whole is something that's nice to eat.

A PUZZLE FOR MY BUSY BEES
Can you find the name of a flower hidden in the following sentence?

"Do you think the carriage will pull up in time?"

The next uncollected short story is one I really enjoyed, because it was fairly unusual (although it did remind me of the book 'Noddy and Tessie Bear' as people will see if they have read that particular Noddy book! I enjoyed it, and I particularly liked the fact the old lady was rewarded...although the thought of what might have happened if she'd been standing in the wrong place is quite horrific!! :lol: You can read the story by following the link. Its illustrated by Susan Carruthers - but I'm afraid I'm not really a fan of her style.

After the next instalment of Rumble and Chuff - which you can see by following the link, we have the 15th chapter of Five Get Into A Fix - and a couple of Eileen Soper illustrations which are again very similar (but not exactly the same) as those that appear in the book! Another case of 'spot the difference' -

Here they are - in each case, the first one is from the Magazine, the second from the book -

After the Famous Five, and a rather nice painting competition picture of an owl on a branch wearing a scarf, we have the final uncollected short story - a Noddy story called Bumpy's Bell As always, its a simple story, but manages to be fairly entertaining. The one thing I always think about Noddy stories, though, is that they could all be a LOT shorter. Instead of stretching this story over six and a half pages, it could have easily been told in three. See it in the link below -

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=929

In Our News-Sheet this issue, we hear about a new Noddy book - 'You're A Good Friend Noddy!' - which was one of my favourites as a child. Enid also plugs to reprints of some of her bigger nature books - The Animal Lover's Book and The Nature Lover's Book. I have both and they are well worth having! :-D

Thanks Enid! See you again soon! :D
Wonderful! Even the second time around!!

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

LoL! Thanks Pete! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another great review, Rob. I enjoyed When Susie Came For Tea and Out Of The Blue, two more stories I had never seen before. Thanks Tony, for the link.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks John! :-D So much better when accompanied by Tony's scans, too. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting to hear about Maureen Whyte befriending a gull. As Enid Blyton says, "It is not often that one can tame a seagull."

Enid asks in her editorial letter whether anyone has seen a primrose, coltsfoot, celandine or violet yet. I certainly haven't here in Essex and I don't expect to for a while.

I like 'When Susie Came to Tea!' as the characters seem natural and real. I'm not as keen on 'Out of the Blue' because the scenario sounds incredibly dangerous as well as unlikely! 'Bumpy's Bell' is okay but very simple.

Thanks for another great write-up, Rob - and for all the scans, Tony!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member