60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Daisy wrote:There was a lot packed into one issue, wasn't there.
There certainly was. Many of today's magazines for children are more about image than substance, which is a great pity.
I agree. I despair when I look into modern day children's comics, and most of them are adverts, or big photos. An article about nature, for example, might consist of three lines of text and four big garish photos. There are graphics and big text boxes and not much substance. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Well done Rob for your excellent review of the magazine. Unfortunately, I have no memory of the week in question as I was only two years old and yet to make my acquaintance with Enid.
Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Eddie Muir wrote:Brilliant, Rob. :D

I was 12 years old 60 years ago and was approaching the end of my first year at grammar school. I bought my copy of Enid Blyton's Magazine every fortnight from my local newsagent. :D
I'm almost exactly half your age, Mr Muir. your text seems a lot younger than septuagenarian. Wow!
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I think I'm in my third childhood, Paul. :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie, I don't think you ever left your first one! :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

You may be right, Nigel! :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Did any who continue to read our Blyton books ever really grow up? :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I left my first childhood when I was about 14 and stayed away around 7 years before returning. I haven't left since! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Most of the time I'm half the age I actually am, which means I may possibly have turned 17 earlier this year. But quite often I'm younger than that. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Courtus remember The Comedy Company on Channel Ten in the eighties with Mary-Anne Faye as a teenage girl (Kylie Mole) in one set of sketches and as an unnamed toddler girl in another set?

Going back to childhood seems to be a rich source of humour. Being back in school may be an exception.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I will be 14 years old on my next birthday. It's not my fault my knees and back are those of a 62 year old. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's that time again when the next Enid Blyton's Magazine is about to arrive, filled with goodies. The one thing I regret is not having these magazines as a child! I would have loved waiting for a copy to come through my letter box each fortnight!

This fortnight's issue - July 4th - July 17th 1956 - 60 years ago this week.

The cover has a nice (uncredited) illustration from the first story 'Ripe Strawberries'. It's interesting that the illustrator is uncredited, because they are a very talented illustrator and provided some illustrations that are worthy of a book rather than just a magazine. They were particularly good at drawing the dog, which features quite prominently in the story - see my photo below.

It's a good story with a good moral and a nice outcome - one of Enid's best stories of this type, and it's a shame it was never reprinted.

Enid's editorial this issue tells us all about the many baby birds that come visiting her garden - dozens of them. She tells us how they remind her of children - some inquisitive, some staying close to their parents, others disobedient and silly - the ones that get caught by Sugar, Enid's cat.

Enid explains why her cat is called sugar - because 'he was so sweet when we first had him!' and goes on to say "A child who saw him said 'oh - he looks as if he is made of marmalade - he's just the right colour - and those darker streaks are like the strips of orange peel in the marmalade!' - so now you know what he looks like..."

Enid says she hopes she will see many of her readers in London on 24 July - "I shall be in Marlborough House Gardens (the Queen has given her gracious permission for us to be there) for a children's party and fete, and I have promised to give aurographs to any child who comes up to me for one - special little autographs with a small photograph at the side - and will also autograph any book or album, and have a word with any boy or girl there. This fete is given to help invalid children and is a very fine affair. There will be pony and donkey rides, an aeriel derby, a giant slide, and goodness knows what else. Also a very nice tea! If any of you want to come, the tickets are 10s each, and you had better write in at once to the address on page 37..."

Following on from the editorial is the story 'Ripe Strawberries!' followed by the Puzzle Page for the various club members. these were always quite simple puzzles. For example, the Sunbeams Puzzle was to find the numbers in these titles -
'Snow White and the.......Dwarfs
'The Famous.....'
'Ali Baba and the.......Thieves'.

The Famous Five Puzzle is more tricky...I can't come up with an answer! Can you? --

- Rearrange 'Mary' to make another girl's name.

:shock: Is this possible? I haven't looked up the answer.

Following this - another uncollected short story - 'The Bear That Could Walk' - all about a clockwork bear and its unkind owner, and how the bear runs away when it gets fed up - a sweet little story 'to tell your little brother or sister'

Next comes a poem for July - taken from Enid Blyton's Book of the Year - 'The Swallows' and the letters page - including a letter from a girl who lived in Fiji - Enid, as usual, tells her readers to look it up in their atlases so they will know where Fiji is. This little girl is asking for penfriends who run nature clubs.

There's a letter from a little girl who sews brooches for charity, and and another from a girl who has a tortoise called 'Speedy'! Enid thinks this is a lovely name for a tortoise - and so do I! ;-)

Next we have the 'Some Things To Look For' page - scarlet poppies, which are now 'dancing by the wayside or shining in the cornfields' and also the sweet smelling honey-suckle - 'Pick sprays and bring them to your classroom - they will scent the whole room - but remember that the red berries coming later on are very poisonous!'

The serial story this week - after a Noddy strip story and a things to make page - is chapter 4 of Five Go To Billycock Hill -- thrilling to be reading this fortnightly! How did the children cope with waiting so long?!

There are 'Dog Hints' next - holiday hints - including the advice not to throw stones or jagged sticks for your dog to catch, because they could break the dogs teeth or damage its mouth - sound advice. She also suggests washing your dog in fresh water if it bathes in the sea, as the salt can irritate the skin, as well as other useful tips, such as not feeding your dog immediately before going on a train journey with it!

We have another short story to follow - one about 'The Three Golliwogs' - the usual plot, about them being mistaken for each other. Did a Three Golliwog story ever involve a different plot?! Interestingly, this story was later published in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1973, and is described in the Cave as 'A Tale of Golly, Sooty and Sammy' - which presumably were the names used in the 1973 version.

There are some interesting adverts in this issue - especially one for the latest Dinky car - number 163 - the Bristol 450 Sports Coupe - which Enid even gives a plug, telling us 'boys who know about cars will know what that car has done!' There's also a 'New Improved Taller and Better Beautiful 'Darling Doll' for 10s - she walks, sits, speaks and prays in 'A real child's voice'! - sounds creepy to me! ;-)

So, with the 'News Sheet' to complete the magazine, our fun-packed issue comes to an end, with ENid telling us that the call for overseas penfriends in The Famous Five Club resulted in 'absolutely HUNDREDS!' of children writing in to her, asking to be hooked up with a penfriend. She has managed to pair 'about 50 of you' so far but promises to try to pair even more eventually - when other children from overseas write in. It really brings it home to me how much ENid did, apart from writing stories! How did she ever find time for golf or holidays in Swanage?!

8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An interesting write-up, Rob. I agree that the illustrations for 'Ripe Strawberries' look lovely.
Rob Houghton wrote:Enid says she hopes she will see many of her readers in London on 24 July - "I shall be in Marlborough House Gardens (the Queen has given her gracious permission for us to be there) for a children's party and fete, and I have promised to give aurographs to any child who comes up to me for one - special little autographs with a small photograph at the side - and will also autograph any book or album, and have a word with any boy or girl there. This fete is given to help invalid children and is a very fine affair. There will be pony and donkey rides, an aeriel derby, a giant slide, and goodness knows what else. Also a very nice tea! If any of you want to come, the tickets are 10s each, and you had better write in at once to the address on page 37..."
Ooh - I'll have to get out my fountain pen and write in! :wink:
Rob Houghton wrote:The Famous Five Puzzle is more tricky...I can't come up with an answer! Can you? --

- Rearrange 'Mary' to make another girl's name.

:shock: Is this possible? I haven't looked up the answer.
Yes, it's possible! :)
Rob Houghton wrote:We have another short story to follow - one about 'The Three Golliwogs' - the usual plot, about them being mistaken for each other. Did a Three Golliwog story ever involve a different plot?!
Yes, I remember one story involving the Three Golliwogs looking for a lost handkerchief which they'd used for various things, and another in which no one came to their party - but it turned out they'd mistaken the date.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:We have another short story to follow - one about 'The Three Golliwogs' - the usual plot, about them being mistaken for each other. Did a Three Golliwog story ever involve a different plot?!
Yes, I remember one story involving the Three Golliwogs looking for a lost handkerchief which they'd used for various things, and another in which no one came to their party - but it turned out they'd mistaken the date.
Thanks Anita - I'd forgotten those stories, but I do remember them now! I used to love the birthday party one!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds like another amazing issue, Rob — I wish I'd had these magazines when I was little too! :D
Rob Houghton wrote:There's also a 'New Improved Taller and Better Beautiful 'Darling Doll' for 10s - she walks, sits, speaks and prays in 'A real child's voice'! - sounds creepy to me! ;-)
Ooer, it does a bit! Reminds me of Enid's short story The Wonderful Doll (originally published in 1950), which is about just such a doll who has a clockwork mechanism that makes her able to walk and talk. The other toys think she's a bit strange for being able to walk and talk during the day — they, of course, only come to life at night. But one day the playroom catches fire, and because it's daytime, the toys can only sit and watch in horror — except the talking doll, who walks downstairs by herself, calling "Mummy, Mummy! I want you!", until her little girl owner finds her, realises something must be wrong upstairs, and she and her mother arrive in time to put the fire out. I read that story for the first time not long ago, and even as an adult, I found something about it a little disturbing... if I'd read it as a child, I think I would have been terrified! :shock:
Rob Houghton wrote:It really brings it home to me how much ENid did, apart from writing stories! How did she ever find time for golf or holidays in Swanage?!
Hmmm... well, she was famous for being able to churn out a full-length novel in less than a week, so perhaps she was just as quick with all the other work she did! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)