Books - Read and Throw Away?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Books - Read and Throw Away?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I must admit as a child I regularly coloured in the illustrations in my books (especially The Faraway Tree and some short story books when I was quite young) with garish felt pens that seeped through to the other side of the pages - but I never cut my books up - unless there was something to make which required cutting out. However, I think colouring of illustrations shows a love for a book, rather than a wish to destroy it. :-)
My sister and I did the same when we were little, Rob. Sometimes, we even coloured different pages in the same book! I agree that books that have been coloured in are generally books that have been loved.
Chrissie777 wrote:A German saying goes "Books make the nicest wallpaper".
True! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I wouldn't dream of destroying a book for whatever reason. Any books that Erika and I don't wish to keep, we normally bundle them up and donate to the second hand bookshop at Belton House, a NT property.
Moonraker wrote: I listen to Radio Caroline Flashback, now.
So do I. Didn't I recommend that station to you?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:I wouldn't dream of destroying a book for whatever reason. Any books that Erika and I don't wish to keep, we normally bundle them up and donate to the second hand bookshop at Belton House, a NT property.
I've always wanted to visit Belton House, ever since first seeing it in 'Moondial' and later reading the novel. It seems to be a lovely place. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I posted the following in July 2016 and thought it worth repeating:

Chick and I have visited Belton House several times and I actually bought a hardback copy of Helen Cresswell's Moondial in the National Trust gift shop there, which she kindly signed for me at the 2000 Enid Blyton Day. The television serialisation was superb and I used it and the book as teaching aids for my English classes in 1988. My pupils loved both the book and the TV adaptation. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:
Moonraker wrote: I listen to Radio Caroline Flashback, now.
So do I. Didn't I recommend that station to you?
You may well have done, old friend. It is a super station with no ads. I try not to miss Roger "Twiggy" Day's afternoon show.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Definitely worth repeating, Eddie. You would make a good subject for This is Your Life!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have my doubts about that, Nigel, but thank you for your kind words. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Moonraker wrote: I try not to miss Roger "Twiggy" Day's afternoon show.
Definitely the best show.
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

My younger sister once vandalized one of my books in front of my very eyes! It was my Ladybird 'Sleeping Beauty' in which I pointed out that an illustration of a slightly rotund figure with a mop of dark hair (I think the castle cook) looked a bit like Oliver Hardy. Next thing I knew, she added a moustache and bowler hat in black biro.

Oh, I was cross! But at the same time, I couldn't help smiling!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I used to hate it if other people defaced my books! Only I was allowed to deface my books, lol! Once my friend Dawn wrote '"Dawn's Book" in my copy of the Dean 'Storytime Book' in thick brown wax crayon (I still have the book!) - and I remember being very angry that she had ruined my book and also claimed ownership!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Stephen wrote:My younger sister once vandalized one of my books in front of my very eyes! It was my Ladybird 'Sleeping Beauty' in which I pointed out that an illustration of a slightly rotund figure with a mop of dark hair (I think the castle cook) looked a bit like Oliver Hardy. Next thing I knew, she added a moustache and bowler hat in black biro.

Oh, I was cross! But at the same time, I couldn't help smiling!
:lol: Another fine mess she'd gotten you into...? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

When young I was given colouring books,paints,pencils,felt tips,crayons etc. Then I was given books - but I can't remember ever being told not to colour the book's illustrations in.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Today's "new cheap paperbacks" could be tomorrow's treasures!

How drab that would look! Books play their part in furnishing a room, giving it character and making it look inviting! Coloured spines and intriguing titles are enticing. Besides, it wouldn't be at all easy to find a particular book if you could only see the edges of pages!
Oh yes I know, I think perhaps I worded that wrongly. What I mean is if people are treating books as disposeable I'd hope it's the 'holiday romance' sort of books and not collectible or old ones as there was no mention about that at all. The only thing that was said was that they weren't talking about art books. I hate the thought that any type of book would be deliberately damaged as I was always taught to never purposefully destroy anything especially not something tht can be used by somebody else. How are you supposed to give a ripped/ torn in half/ written in book to the library or charity shops? Just a complete waste :( .

Exactly, I couldn't believe someone actually recommended displaying books like that! As a sarcastic jokey retort maybe but not as real advice! Books on shelves in somebody's house gives you an idea of what they like and make a good conversation starter.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote: Exactly, I couldn't believe someone actually recommended displaying books like that! As a sarcastic jokey retort maybe but not as real advice! Books on shelves in somebody's house gives you an idea of what they like and make a good conversation starter.
Couldn't agree more. Whenever I visit someone else's house, I always try to sneak a good look at their bookcase to see what they're interested in and whether we have something special in common! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree. I love to ask people about their books and I'm happy to be asked about mine. Most of mine are in the lounge-diner and I've had the following comments from friends on their first visit:

"Wow - you can tell this is the house of a well-read family!"

"Now I know why you know such a lot about so many things!" :lol: :wink: (That particular friend borrowed a number of my [adult] books and I enjoyed discussing them with her when she'd finished them.)

Some friends of my son and daughter commented:

"What a lovely, cosy room. It's just like a library!"

"Where did you get all these books and things? It's like being in a charity shop!" (The boy who said that meant it as a compliment.) :lol:

"Oooh - so many books! Could I borrow one, please?" (The girl who said that went on to borrow several of my children's books, though she never chose an Enid Blyton.)

I've also had interesting conversations with a washing machine repair man and a plumber about the books they loved as children.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member