Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for the rail information, Nigel.

After doing some research, here are the details of our get-together on Saturday, 12th May 2018:

Park in the large car park at Exbury Gardens around 12.15pm. If you arrive early, there is a shop and toilets in the area.

MEET IN THE CAFE NEXT TO THE CAR PARK AT 12.30pm. Here you can have a full or snack lunch before going into the gardens. Once lunch is finished, you can buy your tickets for entry into the garden. You may also buy a ticket for the train ride if you wish.

The only reason I am asking for the names of those planning to visit is so that I have numbers for lunch, as it might be useful to book a table or tables in advance. Otherwise, just turn up on the day at the appointed time and place.

Here is the link to the Exbury website:

https://www.exbury.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some information about the entry fee to the gardens:

Last year the cost of entry was £11.50 for adults and OAPs.The cost for children aged 3 to 15 was £3.30. The "Gardeners' World" magazine, which is on sale during the last week of April for £4.75, includes a 2 for 1 Entry card and guide. The enables the holder and one other to visit any of 417 gardens listed for the price of one ticket. Included in the offer is Exbury Gardens, which means that the entry cost for two people is £11.50.

This information was correct for last year. However, "Gardeners' World" has been offering a 2 for 1 Entry ticket for a number of years and so it is more than likely that the offer will be made again this year.

I hope all this is clear. If not, please feel free to ask any questions.

Please add your name to the list if you intend to attend:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thank you for this great and informative research Eddie. I am really hoping work commitments will allow me to attend.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I really hope you will be able to attend, John. It would be great to see you. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

My flight will arrive at 9:50 in Southampton, enough time to get a rental car and drive to exbury. I am happy to meet you all.
Thank you Eddie for management this "Get-Together" :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're most welcome, Onkel Quentin. I look forward to meeting you at Exbury. :D

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Onkel Quentin wrote:My flight will arrive at 9:50 in Southampton, enough time to get a rental car and drive to exbury. I am happy to meet you all.
Thank you Eddie for management this "Get-Together" :D
Brilliant, Onkel Quentin! You'll have a great time at Exbury with the EBS members! It'll be nice for everyone to meet up. It's been long overdue! Well done to Eddie for keeping everyone focused on the time & date. :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Many thanks for your kind words, Number 6. :D

Society Member
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Eddie Muir wrote:
Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
I hope this list will get a little bit longer, don't be afraid to write your name here and come to Exbury! :lol:
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the reminder, Onkel Quentin. :D

Please add your name to the list if you intend to join us at the get-together:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It will come around sooner than you think, my calendar for summer is already getting full. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Quite right, Julie. Sooner than you think indeed.

Here again are the details of our get-together on Saturday, 12th May 2018:

Park in the large car park at Exbury Gardens around 12.15pm. If you arrive early, there is a shop and toilets in the area.

MEET IN THE CAFE NEXT TO THE CAR PARK AT 12.30pm. Here you can have a full or snack lunch before going into the gardens. Once lunch is finished, you can buy your tickets for entry into the garden. You may also buy a ticket for the train ride if you wish.

The only reason I am asking for the names of those planning to visit is so that I have numbers for lunch, as it might be useful to book a table or tables in advance. Otherwise, just turn up on the day at the appointed time and place.

Here is the link to the Exbury website:

https://www.exbury.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some information about the entry fee to the gardens:

Last year the cost of entry was £11.50 for adults and OAPs.The cost for children aged 3 to 15 was £3.30. The "Gardeners' World" magazine, which is on sale during the last week of April for £4.75, includes a 2 for 1 Entry card and guide. The enables the holder and one other to visit any of 417 gardens listed for the price of one ticket. Included in the offer is Exbury Gardens, which means that the entry cost for two people is £11.50.

This information was correct for last year. However, "Gardeners' World" has been offering a 2 for 1 Entry ticket for a number of years and so it is more than likely that the offer will be made again this year.

I hope all this is clear. If not, please feel free to ask any questions.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're doing a cracking job, Eddie! You're so well organised. I think you should organise the Brexit deal. It'll be done & dusted by Saturday!! :wink:

Seriously, though, the way time is flying by, it won't be long before the Exbury event is here! I wish I could come to meet everyone, but I won't be able to get the time off. (Damn it! Who invented work! :roll:)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for your kind words, Number 6. Love the Brexit comment. :lol: :lol:

It’s a great pity that you won’t be able to make it. Perhaps there will be an opportunity sometime in the not-too-distant future for you to attend an EBS get-together. I would love to meet you for a chat about our football teams and musical tastes, as well as exchanging our views on our shared interest in Enid Blyton books.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, it's a real pity I can't make it. It would be absolutely great to meet up one day & exchange views on our favourite subjects! We'd certainly have plenty to talk about! I can remember speaking to you for a few minutes during a break at one of the EBS days, but only briefly. I think it was just before the next guest speaker was about to take to the stage after lunch. :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Just to repeat:

Details above.

Society Member