Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: Twitter

Post by Moonraker »

It sometimes makes me wonder why someone should follow you on Twitter. For example, I am now being 'followed' by QQieraQaleesya. Purporting to come from Maylasia, I wonder how he or she or they have found me, and why they want to follow me? I notice that they are posting every couple of minutes or so, which I find rather disconcerting. Most (if not all) of the posts make no sense to me at all. Have I been 'found' through these forums? I didn't think we had any Malaysian subscribers. Or is there something more sinister behind this? Or am I getting just a little bit paranoid? :?
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've found a lot of twitter users follow you simply hoping you'll follow them back. Often they're advertising a product, book or blog.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I got a tweet from the guy who plays Kryten on Red Dwarf :)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Robert Llewellyn? (I've possibly used too many Ls there!) I'm even more jealous now! I love Red Dwarf.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

Yeah :) He seems to reply quite often to fans.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yak wrote:Yeah :) He seems to reply quite often to fans.
If only I could think of something interesting to say... :?

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak

Re: Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social (?) networki

Post by Yak »

I didn't :D. I just said, um, hello, or variation thereof.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Facebook

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I couldn't find a Facebook thread, so if there is one, please feel free to merge topic, Anita.

Thanks, Julie - I've merged it.

Anyway, just to say that those who know me on Facebook, may be a bit surprised to see that I've pruned my Facebook down and you may not be a 'friend' now. It's not that I've fallen out with anyone, but I've pruned down to family and very close friends who I see in my daily life.

The reason for this is I'm getting more and more concerned about what I see on Facebook. Last week I saw a picture of a couple, and Facebook said, Happy Memories Julie of a year ago, or something like that. And I didn't even know who this couple was.

I went into the Facebook and said I don't even know this couple, and they said, sorry, mistakes sometimes happen and to delete it, which I did. So that got me thinking of how safe is this Facebook really. And so for that reason only I have kept now mainly family who I can keep in touch with, and very close pals.

If anyone needs to contact me for any reason the PM system here is fine.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Bannerman65

Re: Facebook

Post by Bannerman65 »

I'm not on Facebook, Julie, so there's no chance of me sending you a friends add request. I'm more than likely to be checking the EBS forums, anyway.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a worry Julie, I too get those reminders of past events, but so far they've only been of times I'm already aware of. I think it's time for me to check my privacy settings, although as someone told me, Facebook is only as safe as my weakest link.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's never happened to me, but I did have a couple of 'clones' once who set up in my name and with my photo. Soon sorted - it happens a lot to people, and is usually helped simply by changing the password.

Strange about the 'year ago' thing being a photo of a 'strange' couple...although it can sometimes be something someone tagged you in (a friend's photo they wanted you to see etc) or perhaps something you shared - though in this case, it sounds like it wasn't!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Happy Faceanniversary Memories is common. I have got it just now. Millions facebook users will get it. It will happen at the end of every year. Facebook will use our photos or photos which we have been tagged by our friends(we may or may not know the people in the photos but if our friends have tagged us, facebook automated system may or may not use those photos for montage) for the montage. Nothing to be worried about. Those photos are randomly selected by automated system of Facebook. Same goes with advertisement in EBS website. Whichever websites we have visited may or may not be advertised on the EBS. Again, Ebay, Amazon etc use this auto-generated system as well to give us recommendation of almost similar items that they thought we might be interested. This is the reason we could see "a trail of items" on top of Ebay page. Those trail of items are the items previously clicked by the person who has provided the link. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I actually have a facebook account, but granted as little amount of information as possible. I also removed all friends but one, just because there was too much information I didn't need at all and wasn't interested in. If I want to share information with someone I don't want a whole network to have access to that, intentinally or by accident.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's interesting to read people's various ideas about facebook. Surely the whole point of facebook is to be connected with people all across the world - people we know, and some we have never met personally? To me, that's the best aspect about the internet age - though I acknowledge it can also be the worse aspect. My facebook experience would be very much diminished if I only had a few friends on there or restricted things too much.

I love the fact I can communicate with people in America and Australia and Europe who I might otherwise never have met. The key is to be aware of what you share - and to realise that pretty much anything that goes on facebook could easily become public. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I agree with Rob wholeheartedly. That's the true use of facebook. To connect(not necessarily communicate) with people you know or you don't know but have the same interest!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!