What type of food do you like best?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: What type of food do you like best?

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:Considering I live and work (and get most of my meals) at a care home that does a roast every Sunday, I should say I'm not over roast dinners yet!!
How do you deal with the endless cups of tea that care homes provide? :wink:
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I don't often eat in a McDonald's, but when I go to London, for a day out, with family members, there is a McDonald's, outside Liverpool Street Station, where we go and eat tea, I always like to eat Chips, and Chicken Nuggets, in McDonald's (outside Liverpool Street Station).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/McD ... -0.0823747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Last night I bought some hummus and Pita bread. I think that may be a comfort food for me.

I also found some Branston pickle in my fridge, so bought some good English cheddar so I can have cheese and pickle sandwiches. It's the simple things in English cuisine like that you take for granted until you live in a country where they can be hard to find and expensive.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I know when my great uncle and aunt went to live in America in the late 1950's, they missed many of these simple British foods. My uncle missed British sausages (he reckoned they were completely different!) and also British chocolate. One thing he craved (which we all hated the taste of in our family!) was sterilised milk - he would immediately buy a bottle when he landed in Britain and drink it straight away! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I also like hummus, KEVP, but with crusty bread like a baguette. Add a hunk of cheese and some generous slices of beef tomato and that makes a lovely meal in my opinion.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:My uncle missed British sausages (he reckoned they were completely different!) and also British chocolate. !
I agree, American Hershey chocolate is not nearly as good as Cadbury.
I miss Milka chocolate and Marabou (the Swedish brand). But they have Ritter chocolate from Germany, very few variations only, but at least Trader Joe offers them. :)
IKEA near Boston used to sell Marabou chocolate, but when we went to IKEA the last time several years ago they no longer sold it. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Mind you, these days Cadbury's is owned by American company Kraft - or Mondelez as they are now, their chocolate has really deteriorated, and many British people aren't buying it any more. :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I also like hummus..
I bet our dear old mucker Bannus likes that too! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

I generally love fastfood: Burger King and any outlet that have fish n chips. But if they overcharge then I'll not go.

For daily live, I like our Asian dishes where there are plenty of soup and everything come in warm. Dumpling, noddle, curry, roasted chicken etc.

My favorite from the West is steak and wine combo. A red wine shiitake tenderloin sounds eclectic!

reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Rob Houghton wrote:Mind you, these days Cadbury's is owned by American company Kraft - or Mondelez as they are now, their chocolate has really deteriorated, and many British people aren't buying it any more. :-(
Something has gone really wrong with British chocolate in the last couple of years. Apart from the bars being smaller but costing more, the taste just isn't there. Cadbury's aren't a patch on what they once where and Thorntons have dissapeared in all but name, as thanks to them closing all their shops and simply having their stuff available in any shop, their chocolate doesn't taste anything like it once did :( . Thornton's chocolate used to be something special and exquisite, a real treat due to the price and could be handed over as a luxury gift, now they taste no different to any generic box of cheap chocolates, the uniqueness that made them what they were has gone. I find the nicest chocolate now is Lindt or their Aldi equivalent. I haven't bought a bar of chocolate for a long long time, as apart from Nestle's White Crunch, none of them taste right.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: How do you deal with the endless cups of tea that care homes provide? :wink:
I make a good many of them, when I'm on shift! :wink:
IceMaiden wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Mind you, these days Cadbury's is owned by American company Kraft - or Mondelez as they are now, their chocolate has really deteriorated, and many British people aren't buying it any more. :-(
Something has gone really wrong with British chocolate in the last couple of years. Apart from the bars being smaller but costing more, the taste just isn't there. Cadbury's aren't a patch on what they once where...
Oh good — it's not just me, then. I've tried to like British Cadbury and just can't. :( Mind you, I'm sure in the meantime, even Australian Cadbury has deteriorated from how it used to be when I was little...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

As a 'Brummie' Birmingham folk were always very proud of 'their' chocolate. I live about two miles (if that!) from the Bournville Cadbury factory and village, the original home of 'Bournville chocolate' and even people who live nearby aren't bothered with Cadbury's chocolate any more. It's badly gone down hill in the four or five years since it was taken over.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Yes I can well imagine it has, because if the Americans have got the reins and are now making it similar to their chocolate, it won't be anything like the stuff people over here are used to. Most British people don't like US chocolate at all so I'm not surprised they won't buy American Cadbury's. I myself as it happens do like American chocolate but it's an aquired taste and quite different to our chocolate, it's not as sweet and it's got a different feel, sort of waxy and doesn't melt the same. What's really odd though is that many Americans don't like their chocolate compared to ours so having got hold of a British chocolate manufacturer you'd think they'd have jumped at the chance to keep it as it was :roll: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I follow this blog on chocolate.
I'm sure they've said a few times that Cadbury's chocolate made in Ireland tastes better to them.
Firstly I would like to thank Chocolate Mission reader Saz who made this review possible by kindly sending me a delightful bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk....whats so special about this bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk!?...well it was producded in Dublin Ireland. Though beforehand I admit being rather sceptical myself about the plausability of there being a difference, I do confess now after eating it, I couldnt have been more wrong.
Chocolate Mission:

http://www.chocolatemission.net/2008/07 ... eland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Tonight, for afters, I enjoyed eating some Blackcurrant Tart, also enjoyed eating an extra bit.
Society Member