Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: Football

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:
Moonraker wrote:A 7-0 win for LFC in last night's Champions' League. Good to see they can still score heavily...
A great win for Liverpool, Nigel. :D
Let's see what happens on the 2nd of December, eh? :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Indeed! I’d love to see the Seagulls getting three points on 2nd December, Nigel. :wink:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Nothing to worry about there, Eddie. Brighton will maul them. :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

If only, John. :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Domino wrote:Maria Esther, why have you written off Peru? They finished fifth ahead (by a whisker) of Chile, and so play New Zealand in two matches next month. I think it could go either way, but it's certainly possible Peru could qualify yet.
I am old enough to remember their 1970 team in Mexico. Teofilo Cubilas and Alberto Gallardo were particularly impressive players and the team played attacking football, Brazilian style. They reached the quarter-finals but lost to Brazil 4-2. Brazil were the eventual champions that year.
Sadly they have never shown the same form since.

Dave
I hope so Dave!
Wow! You are so lucky! Yes, my family there tells me of that World Cup and how I wish there was another Teofilo Cubillas to represent Peru and the world. As a matter of fact, he is a footballer I admire, along with Pele. Watching his games, I can say he was truly amazing.
And like you said, "they have never shown the same form since", although they did get to the final in the Copa America against Chile. There's a possibility that the team is recovering its past glory! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Wolfgang wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote:In Europe I like Italy and France and sometimes Spain, but sorry to say it, I dislike Germany and Holland as they do not have a fair game...
Regarding the German football I can't follow your statement. If "fair" means the number of fouls committed, according to statistics the German team usually has a lower number than its opponent. If you mean "beautiful", I also think the German team usually has an attractive way to play for several years now.
Yes I understand your point and I don't want to argue. Its just that as a football lover, I dislike some teams, which I'm sure, is your case also. But I mean no offence to Germany or Holland, only that I found the German behaviour quite disrespectful towards Argentina after they won the World Cup 2014. Apart from that, I love these two countries a lot..... :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:If only, John. :lol: :lol: :lol:
With Liverpool's recent form, it could well happen, Eddie.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I do hope so, Nigel. :wink:

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Machupicchu14 wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote:In Europe I like Italy and France and sometimes Spain, but sorry to say it, I dislike Germany and Holland as they do not have a fair game...
Regarding the German football I can't follow your statement. If "fair" means the number of fouls committed, according to statistics the German team usually has a lower number than its opponent. If you mean "beautiful", I also think the German team usually has an attractive way to play for several years now.
Yes I understand your point and I don't want to argue. Its just that as a football lover, I dislike some teams, which I'm sure, is your case also. But I mean no offence to Germany or Holland, only that I found the German behaviour quite disrespectful towards Argentina after they won the World Cup 2014. Apart from that, I love these two countries a lot..... :D
If you're talking about what Bastian Schweinsteiger initiated after the game, I agree. He was harshly criticized for that in Germany as well. I can't say I like or dislike any other team. I'm not following them, so I don't care.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Eddie Muir wrote:I do hope so, Nigel. :wink:
So do I. Didn't the Liverpool manager, Clipp Klopp used to be in Five Go Down To The Sea? :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tonight's match:

WEST HAM 0 BRIGHTON 3

What a great result! :D

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Only just seen the score, Eddie! What a fantastic result for the Seagulls! Hopefully this will give them confidence & belief that they have the ability to compete in the Premiership. On & upwards! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It certainly was a fantastic result - and most unexpected, Number 6. Onwards and upwards indeed. :D

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

A great result for Brighton. I watched the match last night and Brighton deserved their victory. I think West Ham had only a couple of long-range efforts on goal all night. I like Chris Hughton, win or lose he's always dignified and respectful to the opposition and the press. I always felt that he was treated unfairly at Spurs and Newcastle. He's worked hard to get Brighton where they are today and good luck to him.
Best wishes to Forest today, Number 6, but I can't see the Owls getting anything from Derby. We were hopeless at Bolton last week and Derby is a place where we rarely get a point, never mind three!
Society Member