Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Football

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, John. Burton are a good little side & are quite tricky to play against. As I always say...Underestimate them at your peril. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the Owls will come away with three points against the dreaded Sheep! I need something to cheer me up if Forest lose! :D

According to sources in Brighton, they're still trying to get Eddie down from Cloud 9!! :lol:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck to Forest and the Owls today, Number 6 and John. :D And good luck to the Baggies at Southampton this evening.
number 6 wrote: According to sources in Brighton, they're still trying to get Eddie down from Cloud 9!! :lol:
I think the sources are correct, Number 6. :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gutted for you John! I was really hoping the Owls would batter the Sheep & claim all three points. However, my hopes (& John's) were shattered after only a few mins into the game, when Weds had a player sent off & a penalty awarding against them. It was an uphill battle after that. A late goal did settle the issue, but you've got to admire the Owls resilience up until then. It did show a lot of character. Although they seem to have lost their way a bit, I'm still confident they'll make it to the play-off's!

Forest had a good win against an awkward side, plus a welcome clean sheet as well (which is a rare occurrence!). We had some good chances in the first half, but couldn't hit a barn door from two paces! We did improve a little in the second period to scrape the win.

Good luck to the Baggies this evening, Eddie! Let's hope they can pick up the three points & make it a perfect weekend for you! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Sorry that the Owls didn’t win, John. :cry: Pleased that Forest had a good win, Number 6. :D

I’m hoping that the Baggies beat Southampton this evening.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A win for the Baggies was not to be. The result: Southampton 1 WBA 0. :cry:

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Another late goal, Eddie! The Baggies seem to switch off in the last ten mins of games & it's costing em points. :| Hopefully, they'll bounce back in their next outing.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Let’s hope so, Number 6. :|

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Wednesday didn't have a shot on target and, once again, were woefully weak and lacking in ideas. Carvalhal has got to go but the chairman, Chansiri, who owns a tuna fish empire in Thailand, sacked the CEO of the club and is trying to run the place by himself. He is utterly clueless how to win over the fans. Wednesday have played in blue and white striped shirts for years but they've gone as he doesn't like stripes! We are the only club in the league not to have this season's replica kit on sale as the chairman threw the old supplier out. Match day tickets are the most expensive in the division. And he has put the club's transfers in the hands of an agency who promote their own players.
Unless drastic action is taken, Wednesday will sink like a stone. I have supported this club for over 50 years and reaching the play-offs is a pipe-dream.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m sorry to hear about Wednesday’s problems, John, and hope that things soon improve for them. Fingers crossed for better things to come.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That's absolutely awful, John! I didn't realise you've got a dictator in charge. It sounds like he's destroying the club single handedly. The Owls stripes are their signature, their identity, their history. It makes me angry when a club is taken over by someone who knows nothing about the culture, the passion of fans & hasnt a clue of the principles of running a English football club. Once they're in, they're hard to get out! Thankfully Forest got rid of their dictator of a chairman some months ago. It took almost five years for him to realise he wasn't liked & that he'd be better off walking away from the club. I hope it doesn't take that long for your chairman to go! :cry:

The great Brian Clough was right when he said "Chairmen know nowt about football & should keep their noses out"!
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The great Brian Clough. Wonderful, Number 6. :D

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Watching Liverpool's pathetic attempt at playing top-flight football against Spurs yesterday, I'd say you have nothing to worry about, Eddie.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I hope you’re right, Nigel. :wink:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't! :shock:
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A decent weekend for Brighton and Forest. The Seagulls will surely stay up and Forest could kick on and chase a play-off spot.
Sadly, Wednesday capitulated again and dropped two points against Barnsley at home. The stadium resounded with boos at the end and the owner is coming under increasing pressure from the fans to sack Carvalhal. Many fans are already phoning in to local radio saying they won't renew their season tickets, my son included. I've got a ticket for the match against Millwall on Tuesday night and there will have to be a significant improvement in the performance before I consider buying another.
Society Member