Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Football

Post by number 6 »

I've got no arguments with yesterday's result against SWFC. They fully deserved the win after a dominant display. Forest, on the other hand, will struggle this season. Our manager is forever rotating the squad, which isn't giving us a settled side or consistency. We haven't got the quality players to replace the ones that are dropped. Cloughie used to say "Always play your strongest 11. It's up to the other players to force their way into the team". Wise words.
Good result for the Seagulls, as well. Think they'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Wise words indeed from Cloughie. I've always admired him and he managed Brighton and Hove Albion 1973-74. A great quote if his was: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." Absolutely brilliant! :D

I hope you're right about the position of the Seagulls at the end of the season, Number 6. I also hope that you're wrong in thinking that Notts Forest will struggle. I hope that they and Sheffield Wednesday will be promotion contenders next May. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A great result for Liverpool, yesterday, a 5-1 win over Hull City.

Two family members, went to see the Norwich v Burton Albion, game, yesterday, Norwich won 3-1, and are now top of the Championship.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

United back to winning ways after a stressful fortnight, thank goodness. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I went to watch my team 1874 Northwich in their game away at Nelson yesterday. They won 3-1 and it was a great day out. We're top of the North West Counties Premier League after 12 games. Non league football all the way for me :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

If you want last minute drama then watch Sheffield Wednesday. There have been late winning goals in our last three games, fortunately in two of them we were the victors. The Owls play at home to Brighton next Saturday, I've got my ticket and I'm looking forward to the match.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

John Pickup wrote:The Owls play at home to Brighton next Saturday, I've got my ticket and I'm looking forward to the match.
It should be a good match, John, which could end in a draw. What do you think?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Eddie Muir wrote:Notts Forest:D
Ahhhhhhh!!!! You called us Notts, Eddie! That's a cardinal sin! We're Nottingham Forest. Notts are our u fortunate neighbours across the Trent! :shock:
Cloughie was a football genius. I met him twice. He was very down to earth & was a generous man, especially if it involved giving to charity. A real people's champion. Just imagine if he had stayed on as your manager. Brighton may have been double European Cup winners instead of Forest! :shock:
Last edited by number 6 on 13 Apr 2021, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Deej92 wrote:I went to watch my team 1874 Northwich in their game away at Nelson yesterday. They won 3-1 and it was a great day out. We're top of the North West Counties Premier League after 12 games. Non league football all the way for me :D
That's great stuff! Nothing wrong with non-league teams. I hope your team remain's top for rest of the season! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Wayne Pyer wrote:United back to winning ways after a stressful fortnight, thank goodness. :D
Looks like they've now got a side that'll challenge for the title. I have to be diplomatic regarding Utd, as my brother is an ardent City fan! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

number 6 wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:Notts Forest:D
Ahhhhhhh!!!! You called us Notts, Eddie! That's a cardinal sin! We're Nottingham Forest. Notts are our neighbours. :shock:
Sorry, Number 6. I had no idea, but will not refer to Nottingham Forest as Notts Forest again. :oops:

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Haha! No worries, Eddie. I've got so used to folk calling us Notts over the years that it's water off a Ducks back now! Lol. :lol:
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

number 6 wrote:
That's great stuff! Nothing wrong with non-league teams. I hope your team remain's top for rest of the season! :D
Thanks number 6. Me too :) I hope Forest can pick up their results. One of my best mates is a Forest fan and shares your frustration with the team and manager.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Cheers, Deej92! Yes, your friend will understand my niggles regarding squad rotation. To be fair, we are playing more entertaining footie & scoring freely with this manager, but we are also leaking goals as we are scoring! :roll:
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Eddie Muir wrote:
John Pickup wrote:The Owls play at home to Brighton next Saturday, I've got my ticket and I'm looking forward to the match.
It should be a good match, John, which could end in a draw. What do you think?
As the four meetings between the clubs last season ended with three draws and a victory for the Owls, another draw would be my prediction, too. However, if there is a victorious side, one of us will be happy, Eddie.
Society Member