Famous Five picnic

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
modgepodge

Famous Five picnic

Post by modgepodge »

Hello everyone,

Just after some creative advice really! I teach year 4 (8&9 year olds) and we have been studying the famous five since Xmas. We watched the 1957 adaption of treasure island, read demons rocks and have watched a few of the 1990s to series on YouTube. On Friday it's all culminating in a picnic (most likely indoors!) parents are invited along for an hour and a half.

We've asked the kids to bring savory food 'in the style of the five' and in school we are going to make rock cakes and ginger beer. But I'm at a bit of a loss about what to actually DO?! We are likely to be limited by the weather. We have access to 4 large classrooms. But other than sitting and eating, I'm not really sure what else we can do with the children and parents?! Any suggestions for games or activities would be appreciated!!

Thank you in advance.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Famous Five picnic

Post by Daisy »

What a lovely idea! With 4 rooms at your disposal perhaps you could have a tent pitched in one - I have done that indoors for a Guiding event. Having read Demons' Rocks could you make a tunnel from tables and cloths draped over for the children to crawl through? Perhaps they could find gold coins (if chocolate coins are available at this time of the year!) Could there be a big outline of Kirrin Island for the children to draw on? Castle of course, dungeon entrance, the cave, the wreck, rabbits.... what do they know about the Island? Each child to draw one item or even make a model if they have the time and ability - and materials! Team games in one of the rooms based on the characters - racing if there is room or anything you can think up in that line.
I'm sure there will be others on here with more ideas too. Good luck.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'd have loved to be in your class when I was that age, Modgepodge!

What about having a map of Kirrin (one comes up online if you do a search on "Kirrin map" and could presumably be enlarged and printed off) with grid lines ruled on it? The children are told that treasure has been hidden somewhere in Kirrin. Each child picks a grid reference, and towards the end of the session they find out which one of them has "found" the treasure. A small prize could be given to the winner, e.g. a torch.

As you've read Five Go to Demon's Rocks, one activity could be making a bookmark in the shape of a lighthouse. Plenty of scope for children to choose their own colours and designs.

How about having a sing-song around a (fake) campfire - or a real campfire if outside? You could teach your pupils the theme song from the 1970s Famous Five series ("We are the Famous Five", etc.) which can probably be found on YouTube.

Another idea would be to have a table with the semaphore alphabet and flags, and children could try sending messages to one another using semaphore.

Beanbag games could be given a Famous Five theme.

Whatever you do, have fun!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Oh my God, I just wish I could be in your class. Wouldn't it be lovely to study the Famous Five?
I hope everything goes well. 8)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wow, what fun, Modgepodge! :D Wish we'd had a day like that when I was at school.

I can't add much to the excellent suggestions that have been given already, but chocolate coins are definitely available from Sainsbury's in the confectionery aisle (at least at my nearest one this afternoon!), if you want a treasure hunt theme — and here's the 1970s Famous Five theme song with lyrics! 8)

Hope you have a fantastic time tomorrow!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)