Back in Time for Dinner/the Weekend/School

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Back in Time for Dinner/the Weekend

Post by Jack400 »

To be fair, I can understand that they did not know the need to pick up the receiver before dialling the number.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I remember dial phones and how to use them — does that mean I'm old?? :shock: :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We saw the preview for the 1960s episode, looked like the Whinge Alots were still Awfulizing everything in sight :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sadly, the narrator couldn't add up. In connection with a record purchase. He made 7/4 + 9d to come to 8/3, when it should have been 8/1 - obviously thinking there were ten pennies to the shilling. He made this mistake again with a different sum. The Morris Mini they had in 1961 was displaying a 1966 registration plate. Obviously a car before its time.

Otherwise, I am enjoying the programme. :D
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I seem to remember going to a Fete where there was a piano smashing compeition.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Makes a change from 'smash the crocks'. :roll:
Incidentally, has anyone seen a smash the crock stall in recent years, or has environmentalism stopped such things?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I caught up with the 1970s episode on iplayer. Being born in January 1970, I had a 1970s childhood so this programme brought back lots of memories. Brown and gold furniture, wacky floral wallpaper and yellow curtains were the order of the day! We had Spirograph, Mastermind, Frustration, Swingball and space-hoppers - and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells album which I think Rob was listening to at one point. Also watched Crackerjack and Blue Peter. Pity Grange Hill wasn't mentioned, or the 1970s Famous Five TV series!

What was the games console that the children were playing on? I didn't see any games consoles in the 1970s.

I enjoyed the power cuts as a child - it was fun to sit round the table by the light of flickering candles and domed battery lamps. As I was only four in 1974, I was completely unaware of power-saving initiatives such as street-lights being dimmed by 50%, the speed limit being reduced to 50 mph and the BBC shutting down earlier at night - all that was news to me.

The hot summer of 1976 is legendary and I certainly remember the swarms of ladybirds. We didn't have a standpipe in our area but I do recall being told to "save water". I also remember the Silver Jubilee of 1977 - we had a street-party and we went to the cinema with school to watch a recording of the Coronation.

One of our neighbours threw a New Year's Eve party on the eve of 1980. There were two cakes - one with 1979 iced on it and the other (to be cut after midnight) with 1980 iced on it. Unfortunately I was tired long before midnight and spent most of the party wishing I could go home!

What a shame TVs these days are so ugly and plasticky. I liked the old TVs with their wood surrounds.

The way the programme talked about ice-cream vans you'd think they were now obsolete, but there are still plenty round here. One comes along our street quite regularly.

It was nice to see the family enjoying more activities together and to hear Daisy saying that she felt closer to Seth as they were away from their modern gadgets and spent more time out on their bikes together or playing board games, etc.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

What a refreshing series! I've seen every episode so far & I've really enjoyed discovering each decade. I was born in 1965 & remember very little of the first five years of growing up. It was the 70's that really influenced my childhood. My memories more or less echo Anita's, so I won't repeat them. I've also caught the odd episode of Len Goodman's "Holiday of a lifetime", shown every afternoon (midweek), where he takes a celebrity down memory lane & recreates their childhood holidays. Two great programmes showing how simple things in life made us happy, well, most of the time! Why have we made things complicated for ourselves?! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Did anyone watch the 1980s episode? Although I was a teenager in the 1980s, I felt disconnected from that era to be honest and didn't really feel "at home" in the 80s until near the end of the decade. I was left cold by the emphasis on big business, finance, filofaxes, shoulder pads, sunbeds, physical workouts, break-dancing, shopping precincts, etc. In my heart I was still a flowery, nature-rambling, peace-loving, long-haired Abba fan of the 1970s!

I did enjoy the background music in that episode though, particularly Blondie's Atomic, and the references to TV programmes like Tomorrow's World and Only Fools and Horses which were both favourites of mine. My sister and I had the game Downfall, and a Rubik's Cube, and a ZX Spectrum 48K. My friends and I played Trivial Pursuit out in the countryside when we were doing a 24-hour fast to raise money for starving people.

My sister quite often taped the Top 40 off the radio on a Sunday evening and become annoyed when the announcer talked over the beginnings and endings of songs! Renting video films was something we also did quite frequently in the second half of the 80s.

I vividly remember watching the nuclear war films Threads and The Day After as a teenager. They were chilling but compelling and I bought both on DVD a few years ago. There was also an animated film version of Raymond Briggs' When the Wind Blows. Teachers would discuss nuclear weapons with us in the classroom, and when I had to write a story in Welsh I wrote one about people living in an underground bunker after a nuclear war.

I was glad that Seth referred to the games console he used in the 1970s episode as I caught the name of it this time - a Pong! I must admit I'd never heard of a Pong before!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

We have watched each episode and really enjoyed watching them. Tonight we have the 90s.... I wonder what will be highlighted this time. I did feel that some of the things which were made much of in the shows had passed me by completely! Other items brought back memories of a simpler way of life. We had that early computer game - well we still have it somewhere - where we played tennis on screen. The rubik's cube sent us dotty as we tried to resolve it, although I think one of my sons mastered it eventually. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, expecting to be reminded of things I have completely forgotten!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita I believe the game he was playing was called Pong as it was a computerised version of ping pong. The console could have been the Atari (the most famous probably) but the Magnavox Odyssey actually came first.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, Anita... it was more like table tennis, of course!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Fiona and Daisy. I've played ordinary table tennis (ping pong) with a bat and ball but I never got so much as a sniff of Pong!

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Moonraker wrote:Sadly, the narrator couldn't add up. In connection with a record purchase. He made 7/4 + 9d to come to 8/3, when it should have been 8/1 - obviously thinking there were ten pennies to the shilling. He made this mistake again with a different sum. The Morris Mini they had in 1961 was displaying a 1966 registration plate. Obviously a car before its time.

Otherwise, I am enjoying the programme. :D
If there was 10 pennies to a shilling in the 1960s there would have been no need for decimalisation!
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Daisy wrote:We have watched each episode and really enjoyed watching them. Tonight we have the 90s.... I wonder what will be highlighted this time. I did feel that some of the things which were made much of in the shows had passed me by completely! Other items brought back memories of a simpler way of life. We had that early computer game - well we still have it somewhere - where we played tennis on screen. The rubik's cube sent us dotty as we tried to resolve it, although I think one of my sons mastered it eventually. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, expecting to be reminded of things I have completely forgotten!
I haven't caught up with computer games at all - obviously I am still locked in the 1950s! :(
Society Member