Gets earlier every year?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Gets earlier every year?

Post by Katharine »

Was that for last Christmas or the coming one?

I was singing Slade's 'Merry Christmas' to myself yesterday, but that was because I saw a man wearing a hat like Noddy Holder used to wear.
Society Member
Anne Henriette
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers / Twins of St Clare's
Favourite character: Sally Hope / H. Wentworth, Isabella O'Sullivan

Post by Anne Henriette »

I didn't sing any songs yet ;) - although choirs usually begin to practise for Christmas concerts around this time of year. And I didn't notice any Christmas decorations at my local supermarket yesterday though it's usually around these weeks that they are being put up in Germany - well in my city at least :? Always makes me mad. (it's like Easter decoration are all over the place in January at the latest! :shock: ) Sometimes you even have Halloween decorations and Christmas cakes and the likes together from the end of August until the end of October... :roll:
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Was that for last Christmas or the coming one?
The thread title should confirm that! :wink:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Funnily enough, this thread comes up earlier every year :wink: :

2013 - Started on 30th September.

2014 - Revived on 20th August.

2015 - Revived on 5th August.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's interesting Anita.... oh dear, I wonder where it will all end! :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's far too logical for me to have worked out Nigel. :wink:

Anita, that's hilarious. I shall start a thread in February next year when the shops are selling off all their old stock. :lol:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I found myself singing Christmas carols today for no particular reason... :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Nothing to do with what you're reading here I suppose? :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

No, I was at work and they just started coming to me. 8) Including this one, which I learned only last year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYXto0x4K0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote:No, I was at work and they just started coming to me. 8) Including this one, which I learned only last year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYXto0x4K0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charming, charming, I love the Sussex Carol. "Carols from Kings" is always the official start of our Christmas celebrations, usually around 6pm on Christmas Eve.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Katharine wrote: I shall start a thread in February next year when the shops are selling off all their old stock. :lol:
Good timing to pick up 2016's Christmas presents :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote: Charming, charming, I love the Sussex Carol.
Yes, for some reason it's one I never learned as a child. Some of the really wintery carols - In the Bleak Midwinter and See Amid the Winter's Snow, for example - we don't tend to hear much in Australia at Christmas (for obvious reasons), but I don't know why I missed out on the Sussex Carol. I must have heard it a few times in Carols from King's, but just never latched onto it until I heard an incredibly beautiful version of it on Classic FM late last year (which I unfortunately haven't been able to find on YouTube - it wasn't King's College, but a smaller choir with both men and women).

I often buy Christmas presents early if I happen to find something during the year that I just know would be perfect for a specific family member or friend - same with buying birthday presents, too. If you know someone special would love that particular gift, best to pounce on it early and keep it till the occasion, rather than leaving it and then either forgetting it or finding it's not available any more when the time comes.
Society Member

Anne Henriette
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers / Twins of St Clare's
Favourite character: Sally Hope / H. Wentworth, Isabella O'Sullivan

Post by Anne Henriette »

Courtenay wrote:I often buy Christmas presents early if I happen to find something during the year that I just know would be perfect for a specific family member or friend - same with buying birthday presents, too. If you know someone special would love that particular gift, best to pounce on it early and keep it till the occasion, rather than leaving it and then either forgetting it or finding it's not available any more when the time comes.
I often said that to myself and I even tried to do that but... I don't know. Unconsciously I think that Christmas wouldn't really be Christmas without all this last-minute stressing about finding gifts and standing in gigantic queues everywhere. Don't you think? :mrgreen:

On the other hand, I can now announce that I am the proud owner of Christmas cakes sold at our local Bahlsen outlet shop :) Bahlsen is a local biscuit and cake manufacturer and its products, specifically those Christmas cakes, have sometimes been sold out at the end of November!!! :shock: Already happened to me once. And now I belong to those people I usually mock :lol:
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I don't blame you, Anne Henriette - they do make wonderful Christmas cakes and other goodies in Germany. A few years ago, just before Christmas, a German friend here in England invited me over for dinner and gave me a real German Lebkuchen to take home. It was delicious, but also so rich I could only eat a little at a time, so it lasted me into the New Year! :D
Society Member

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Christmas comes round far too early every year. I remember as a child waiting what seemed like years, just for Christmas every year. Now it's coming around much too quickly. :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member