Gets earlier every year?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: Gets earlier every year?

Post by floragord »

MJE wrote:     the headache of worrying about gifts was just an expensive, time-consuming, stress-causing burden entrenched here. 
For years now we've had the "Christmas list" system in place, scheduled for early-ish October to allow ample time for overseas mailing - that way everyone gets what they really want, rather than the desperate search for something suitable (which usually isn't!). Much communication entailed as everyone plans who gives what so there's no duplication... but it works!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
floragord

Post by floragord »

If I like something, then I like it the same at any time of the year.

We're all conditioned as a family to do goose at Christmas and spring lamb at Easter, turkey and duck make their way onto the menu at other times of year - just tradition and availability! I'm interested to hear hot lunches are the usual form on the Day, thanks Michael for sharing
floragord

Post by floragord »

Poppy wrote: there's got to be one event of a year which everyone looks forward to! :D
In my early days in practice I was taken aback how many people asked for "stress mixes for Christmas" - it seemed sad that what in principle is such a convivial time of year should cause such trauma - but absolutely nobody would cancel the occasion and go for a walk with a cheese sandwich in their pocket!, they would do the whole traditional bit no matter what; don't know what that says about society's/families pressures to deliver no matter what the personal issues??
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

floragord wrote:For years now we've had the "Christmas list" system in place, scheduled for early-ish October to allow ample time for overseas mailing - that way everyone gets what they really want, rather than the desperate search for something suitable (which usually isn't!). Much communication entailed as everyone plans who gives what so there's no duplication... but it works!
     I'm not quite sure if I am understanding this correctly or not - but are you referring to a Kris Kringle system? In that (if I understand it correctly, because my family has never actually done it), all those participating draw one of the other people's name out of a hat, and buy just one (more expensive) gift for that person they draw. Seems horribly clinical and impersonal, though - rather like a lottery. Also, it doesn't really address a problem that I see would be present as long as some people in the group have much higher incomes than others: a certain amount to be spent might be understood tacitly, if not specified, and a person on a lower income might find that rather too much - but if they spent less than most of the others, they or others might feel they were being miserable or miserly.
     So, although the idea was suggested (but not adopted) once or twice in my family, I don't see it as an improvement on the traditional system where everyone buys everyone else a gift, with the individual items being less expensive. Whichever system is used, I suppose the total amount spent by each individual might be much the same. (And when I say "my family", I don't mean my wife or partner and children, because I have none of those; I mean my mother, my brothers and their wives and families - family in that sense.)
     I guess it's true, though, that I just don't like this part of Christmas, and no varying of the scheme, such as the Kris Kringle system, would really strike me as an improvement. I don't like having to try to guess what someone else might like to receive (and very likely they already have most of what they need or want), and I don't like having to pretend to like an item I've been given which in fact I don't. And if there is something I want, I just go and buy it, and I prefer to choose things for myself than to receive what someone else thinks I'd choose, but which I rarely actually would if it had been left up to me.
     And if gift-giving is retained, I tend to the view that small, token items are better, and *not* extravagant or expensive ones, so that if some items people choose are wrong, then it doesn't matter so much anyway, and one can be a bit lighter in attitude about it.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

MJE wrote:I'm not quite sure if I am understanding this correctly or not - but are you referring to a Kris Kringle system? In that (if I understand it correctly, because my family has never actually done it), all those participating draw one of the other people's name out of a hat, and buy just one (more expensive) gift for that person they draw. Seems horribly clinical and impersonal, though.

No, these are personal lists by family members, each of us works it out amongst the group to see who is giving what so its still a deep dark secret from the recipient. The cost of the items on each list is approximately the same so no one person gets something very basic whilst another gets the lion's share! I worked in a place years ago where the Kris Kringle system operated and it was terrible!!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I know lists aren't for everyone, but we have them in our family, and it works well. I know this might sound rather ungrateful, but I'd rather someone just spent £5 on buying me something like a book I'd especially asked for, then spend £25 on a bottle of fancy perfume which I'd never wear, and would just end up being given to a local fete as a raffle prize.

Someone (who I won't name) often buys me presents that aren't on my list. The vast majority of them have ended up in charity shops. I can't tell them I don't like their presents, so each year I feel they've wasted their money getting me stuff I just don't like/want/need. I suppose maybe they've enjoyed the experience of shopping for me, and seeing me open the presents, so perhaps I'm being selfish for feeling as I do. Personally, I'd rather buy something for someone off their list, rather than take a risk on buying them something they'll just ditch come New Year. I'm not very good at 'reading' people, so don't instinctively know what to get them.

Having said that, several years ago, my brother, sister and their partners said they found it difficult to produce a list each year, so we just bought for our parents, and nieces/nephews. Instead we have a 'Secret Santa'. There is a price limited set, so no awkwardness about people's incomes, it's one we are all happy with. The present doesn't come off any list, it's designed to be a bit of fun. For the first few years it really was really nice to receive a surprise. For example, one year, I got the autobiography of Jason Donovan, which I hadn't thought to put on my list. I got my sister a Phillip Scofield Annual from E-Bay (she is a big fan) and personalised her a couple of pillowcases with iron on pictures - one of Jason Donovan - the other of her partner. However, it is getting a bit difficult now as we've done it for so many years.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Daisy wrote:I was under the impression that fireworks were not to be let off except on the few days around Nov.5th and now, (since the turn of the century) at New Year too. Perhaps it's an urban myth that it's against the law? It is also against the law to sell fireworks to under 18s. (or is it?)
You can only buy fireworks in the UK if you're over 18, but as far as I know you can let them off at any time of the year as long as it's before about 11 PM (though I think most shops only sell them for a few weeks each year, so you'd have to buy them then and save them). I could be wrong though!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

As I rather sympathise with Robert Catesby I am never feel inclined to buy or set off fireworks on November the Fifth. I do enjoy a good firework display, however.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

:) You do have a point there Francis!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Who was it said Guy Fawkes was the only man ever to enter the Houses of Parliament with honest intentions...?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's a good one floragord , but I can think of one or two!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

On Wikipedia it just says:
Guy Fawkes is sometimes toasted as "the last man to enter Parliament with honest intentions"
And on wiki quote -
Vote Guy Fawkes — The Only Man Ever To Enter Parliament With Honest Intentions
Unfortunately it doesn't say who originally said this phrase... :roll:
Last edited by Poppy on 13 Oct 2013, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

:D :D :D :D Christmas is the best time of the year--- it's so very, very Enid Blytonish---.Santa Claus ,coming down the chimney, stuffing the stockings of good children with gifts, the Christmas tree, the Yule log---. Enid Blyton says it all in The Christmas Book. It's really a great must read book.-- for all of us who JUST LOVE Christmas.
floragord

Post by floragord »

Absolutely, Nair, the most magical time of year! We've been "doing" Christmas markets for the last few years to make the perfect start to the celebrations - with heaps of gilded gingerbread and lashings of gluhwein! :lol: :lol:
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Sounds great, floragord. We always go to Beamish with the whole family at Christmas time - the ice skating is on there, and the smell of the fires is 'heavenly'. Loads of Christmas things to do - makes a great Christmas outing.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member