Gets earlier every year?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Gets earlier every year?

Post by Katharine »

I'm not bothered about Halloween, but I would be disappointed to see Guy Fawkes night banned. Although I do think perhaps the sale of fireworks should be restricted to just organised displays in order to reduce the likelihood of injuries.

While I sympathise with the effects such events must have on animals, I would say where should such bans stop? Stop New Year's Eve celebrations for a start. Pop concerts in our main park and cultural gatherings happen several times a year. Despite living a mile away, I can easily hear the music in my house, so goodness knows how the wildlife living nearby must feel. Then there is the effect of cars, how many cats are run over each year, let alone all the wildlife such as hedgehogs, deer etc. In fact, I think the only way to protect animals completely is to ban mankind altogether. :wink:

Actually, thinking about it, inconvenience cuts both ways. Someone in my street must have just purchased a cat, as I've seen one in my garden on and off in recent weeks, and have also found it's mess too. There's also been an increase in the amount of dog's mess I've had to walk around in the streets. I'd be happy for firework night to be banned if I knew that in future, I could walk down the street, and even more importantly, my own PRIVATE back garden without having to worry about the mess someone else's animal has left there. :evil:
Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Animals

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe it's time to consider banning pets. Bird numbers are devastated - cats taking a large responsibility for that. Dog mess and constant barking - as well as the more serious attacks on people by larger breeds must bring into question why people feel the need to keep a potentially dangerous animal under their roofs.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:As for Halloweeen, to me, that is just another way of getting people to spend money that they really can't afford.
To make it more fun and much less expensive we always go round the charity shops and pick up odds and ends that we then make into Halloween costumes. It never costs over £10 for all of us to dress up and look really scary! Then there's trick or treaters which isn't a problem for us, as we live in the middle of a street where nobody opens their doors! So they usually give up before they get to us!
Julie2owlsdene wrote:As for Bonfire night, well they should ban that altogether now. It's dangerous, and it upsets all the animals!
Yes, they upset our dog last year, too, but apparently, those scent things that you plug into a socket work quite well. I think it works by the thing giving off scents which relax your dog. The cheaper way is of course leaving the radio on! Personally I love to see the fireworks, they never effect our pets that much, so that isn't an issue. We never set off fireworks, but we let off a chinease lantern instead. And of course the occasion is a great excuse to get out 'Secret Seven Fireworks' and 'Good Work Secret Seven'! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Moonraker wrote:We bought our Christmas tree in January! :D
Sounds a good time of year to buy, Moonraker! I got stacks of stunning Christmas cards at Clintons in Jan, marked down from £10+ a box to about £2, naturally we've now got enough to see us out, but it'll save the usual horror of receiving a last-minute card from someone I hadn't sent to and not having a solitary one still in stock...!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
floragord

Post by floragord »

Carlotta King wrote:I must admit to buying a chocolate yule log today but that's only because I like a slice or two for pudding with a dollop of cream, at any time not just Christmas, and they're obviously not in the shops at any other time of year so as soon as I see them, I pounce :)

But yes I have noticed Christmas things everywhere already! :)
Mmmm, yule log with creamfor pud sounds yummy! I like the rich fruit cake logs with icing on top, they're so good I couldn't make anything better, so that'll soon be back on the tea-time menu!
floragord

Post by floragord »

Carlotta King wrote:That's true.
They had a big hallowe'en department in The Range the other day when I went in but I haven't seen any anywhere else and no bonfire night things at all.
Mind you I suppose with all today's health and safety stuff the fireworks are hidden away under lock and key and you have to have a retina scan to buy any :roll: :)

We went into a local garden centre for coffee yesterday and saw big signs offering £5 off any hallowe'en items, stacks of stuff suggests they're short of takers this year, perhaps things will look up nearer the time? We enjoy the firework displays on the seafront, can see them all the way up the coast to Eastbourne, but sadly the weather was so wet last year it was a non-event... better luck this time I hope!
floragord

Post by floragord »

Francis wrote:My Xmas shopping, as usual, will start 2 shopping days before Xmas!
Gordon always maintains doing the whole caboodle on Christmas Eve is perfect, nobody around and still plenty up for grabs! I have to send quite a lot overseas so haven't experimented to date, but it sounds good!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

You can get some fantastic bargains on Christmas things after Christmas, this January I found a load of stunning foil star garlands in Wilkinson reduced to 10p each, sort of gunmetal silver foil-covered wire (metres of it!!!) with silver stars hanging off it all the way along. Bought loads of them!

I haven't saved them for Christmas, I've used them all round the house, I've made tiebacks for the curtains out of them, made hanging decorations out of them, hung some Moroccan lanterns off them, and I've still got tons spare!

Tiebacks on my bedroom curtains

Hanging decoration in my bathroom window

Wound round the headboard of the bed in my spare bedroom
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Those look just gorgeous Carlotta!, how nice to enjoy them all through the year!
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Thanks Floragord! :D

They were so pretty I just couldn't resist using them! :)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

floragord wrote:Gordon always maintains doing the whole caboodle on Christmas Eve is perfect, nobody around and still plenty up for grabs!
I had to read that sentence twice, because at first I misread "caboodle" as "canoodle"! :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Carlotta King wrote:Thanks Floragord! :D

They were so pretty I just couldn't resist using them! :)
Lovely Carlotta!, they must give you enjoyment all the time, can't say better than that for any décor or floral arrangements! :)
floragord

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
floragord wrote:Gordon always maintains doing the whole caboodle on Christmas Eve is perfect, nobody around and still plenty up for grabs!
I had to read that sentence twice, because at first I misread "caboodle" as "canoodle"! :lol:
Well that could be fun too Anita, take one's mind off the next lot of wrapping for a bit!
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Absolutely - that's what decor is for! :)
They twinkle in the lamplight and flutter if there's a breeze.
floragord wrote:...nobody around and still plenty up for grabs!
Crikey I wish it was like that where I live - there's nothing left anywhere and crowds that you could get lost in for months! :roll:

Society Member
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

We don't have many fireworks around here, there are the big ones on New Years Eve, and any that have been registered beforehand for that night. You're not allowed to just go and buy fireworks and have your own without registering where you're going to go it and you're only allowed a certain amount anyway. Also you're not allowed to be under eighteen either. I think that's the same everywhere in Australia, not sure if it's the same in other countries. Sometimes all fireworks except the big ones on the waterfront are banned because we may still be on a complete fire danger day when New Years Eve comes along. It was banned in 2009 because it was such a dangerous night, it was hot and windy until just before midnight and then we had a massive lightning storm. I remember some people let off their fire works anyway nearby, they got caught and fined for the illegal fireworks and for breaking the fire ban rule.

I quite like Christmas. We used to have a barbeque, but it's easier to cook inside because there is that chance that there will be a fire ban on Christmas day, or like the past couple of years, it will rain. We used to decorate the house too but with three cats living inside, it's easier not to put a lot of decorations up.