Gets earlier every year?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Gets earlier every year?

Post by Poppy »

Yeah, I'd agree that gift wrapping is more fun, to be honest, haha, depending on the shape of the gift :lol: Wrapping boxes is one of the most satisfying things, in my opinion :lol:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I like writing cards, but nowadays I only have a few to do. Several years ago I worked in a college and that meant writing out around 60 -80 Christmas cards :shock: . That was really hard going because by the time you've written the same words out over and over again repeatedly, the words start to look odd, the spelling starts looking wrong even when it's not and the more you check it the worse it goes.

I love wrapping presents but I am truly terrible at it! I can never get it to look tidy, I always end up having to re-cut it because the original piece has somehow become a scrunched up sticky mess of torn paper and sellotape and somehow or another I seem to miss the fold in the paper and tape alongside it instead!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Katharine wrote:Sounds very festive. Sadly our decorations are all still in the loft. :cry: I've just dug out my copy of The Teacher's Treasury Vol 3 which has instructions for home made decorations - I shall make a list and hit the craft shop early next week. Knowing my creative skills (or lack of them), I might have something passable made for next Christmas. :lol: :lol:

I don't know about getting earlier each year, but it seems traditions may be changing. I was chatting to someone about how many more cards I still had to write (I send about 60), and they said they don't send any, and that most people of their age (mid 30s) never send them either, they just send greetings via social media. I don't know if that's just their own circle of friends or if it's a trend that is popular with younger people.
A few more added to the poinsettia ranks :shock:, hope it doesn't turn into "Day of the Triffids" before 25/12 :wink: . I hope your home made decs turn out well, it must be fun to make things from scratch! - we have items we bought when we first got married, still going strong, and things given by family and friends, many of whom are no longer with us, so happy though poignant reminders and memories at this time of year. I think its rather sad to just have good wishes on a screen, though like you Courtenay I enjoy sending Jacquie Lawson e-cards, mine are as well as rather than instead of though :? ! I'm of the school of thought that absolutely loves writing cards and wrapping and packing gifts to exchange or post, start the process in late October as we send a lot overseas. I tend to write a screed to enclose, or write news in the cards, and mail early for Christmas!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well I've wrapped my first present. Not because I've suddenly become more organised, but because it's for a Secret Santa for tomorrow, although actually that is quite organised for me, as normally I'd be wrapping 10 minutes before I needed to get there!!

I've also tracked down the book I wanted, but just need to sit quietly now to make a list of craft materials. I expect we probably already have some in the house, so I may even be able to make a start without a trip into town. Somehow I don't think the stockists that are listed in the book will still be able to send me what I want for a shilling. :D

We've received one present through the post, and it is sitting in the corner where the tree should go. Hopefully, the decorations and tree will come out this weekend. Because of the way that Christmas falls this year, I think it will be probably be an all time record for this house as to the shortest time the decorations will be up. :cry:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I wrapped my first present today too, and indeed gave it, as it was for a dear colleague and friend who'll be away for the next few weeks visiting her family overseas, so I had to get in early. :D I've already got my decorations up, too — just a Nativity scene on my desk and a wreath made out of sea pebbles and shells (which I bought at a Christmas market last week) at my window. Now writing out more Christmas cards!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Poppy wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:I hate writing cards, I must admit - but do them very quickly!! :lol:
Awhh, I love writing Christmas cards!! I love it so much that I write all my parents cards for them (there's usually about 40 or 50 to write) :lol: Also, wrapping presents is one of my favourite things to do as well :lol:
I love wrapping presents so much as well, and also to think of the happiness of the person I'm giving the present too. :D
About Christmas cards, it basically takes me ages to finish writing one, probably because I like each one of them to have a unique and special message inside :wink:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here's an interesting seasonal did-you-know list I just ran across from the BBC: Eight reasons to love reindeer (even more!) :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

We're having a rainy winter which is keeping temperatures even higher than usual. :?
Our tree will be up soon though, which is good I guess.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here's a bit of festive fun I just discovered — a quiz for "Which nativity play character are you?"

(According to the result, I'm the Angel Gabriel... not sure how accurate it is, mind you. :mrgreen: :wink: )
Society Member

John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Courtenay wrote: (According to the result, I'm the Angel Gabriel... not sure how accurate it is, mind you. :mrgreen: :wink: )
That's how I've always imagined you, Courtenay. :D
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh yes, I'm sure, John. :wink: :wink: In any case, the Angel Gabriel technically is a he, although I guess in some of the portrayals of him with longish blonde hair there might be a slight resemblance... :mrgreen:

Society Member

Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Do angels have a gender at all? I can't remember having ever heard of a female one...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

They shouldn't have gender I say, but unfortunately they are always portrayed as male....
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I wouldn't say "always" — I'm sure I've seen pictures of female angels, or angels that looked like females, at least. Probably depends on who draws them! :lol: Or it could be that the word "angel" is masculine in a lot of languages that have grammatical gender for all nouns (I know it's masculine in Hebrew, Greek and Latin), so one naturally refers to an angel as "he" in those languages, regardless of whether an angel is really male, female or genderless. I think they should be beyond gender too, but we probably can't prove anything for sure there. :wink:
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It would not feel right to refer to angels as "it", I think.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member