Castles of Interest

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Castles of Interest

Post by Pippa-Stef »

As we were getting carried away with castles on the World of Blyton thread I thought we might be good have a thread for them!

I'm looking forward to seeing three castles while I'm on holiday. Ludlow castle, Stokesay Castle and Clun castle being the other.

Three castles in three days. I'm looking forward to it.

One of ny favourite castles has to be Windsor Castle, expensive- yes but beautiful! In fact it has inspired a story idea!

What are your favourite castles?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Re: Castles of Interest

Post by Katharine »

I'm glad to see you starting this thread. I don't know about favourite castles, but I've been to Arundel Castle, Bodium Castle, Framlingham Castle and Orford Castle. Probably several others, but I can't remember them at the moment.

I knew I'd think of some more:- Carisbrook , Carnarvon, Yarmouth and the ones at Deal and Dover. We went to Dover last year, and it was very impressive, we ran out of time to see everything as we were only there for an afternoon. Several of the rooms had been 'dressed' for the period the castle was built in.

Hedingham Castle is another good one, and so is one in Norfolk, the name of which escapes me. We've been members of English Heritage on and off for several years, so we usually manage to visit any castles in the area if we go on holiday.

I think I've also been to a castle in Scotland, began with a D, but as it was about 15 years ago, I can't remember what it was called.
Last edited by Katharine on 04 Jun 2013, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I've been to Arundel and Pevensey castles in Sussex, both are wonderful. Corfe castle of course must have a mention on a Blyton forum. Bodiam castle is also very evocative. Hever castle is another good one. There are many castles along the North Wales coastline which I would love to visit.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Bodiam is certainly very memorable with the surrounding moat. I'd love to visit Corfe one day too.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I’ve been to a few castles acksherley, including Ludlow castle and also to Clun’s ruined castle.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wardour Old Castle, near Tisbury. A real castle, although ruined, still has one tower standing.
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I live just down the road from Chirk castle. It's a National Trust place and well worth a visit if you are North Wales way (or even north Shropshire). 8)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I love castles. It would take me forever to list all the ones I've been to (if I could remember them all!)

Some I do remember are Eilean Donan, St Andrews, Crathes, Urquhart, Drumlanrig and Cawdor.

And a particular favourite - though I've only been once - Brough Castle :lol:
Last edited by Fiona1986 on 04 Jun 2013, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

:shock:

Gosh I am a ninny! I forgot St Andrew's Castle!!!

*facepalm*
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Fiona1986 wrote: And a particular favourite - though I've only been once - Brough Castle :lol:
You mean you don't live there? :shock:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Glamis Castle must be Scotland's most beautiful castle:

http://www.glamis-castle.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamis_Castle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I've been to few castles before (more remains than actual surviving castles), and much enjoyed my visits. I've been round Richmond Castle which is a favourite, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My favourite visit to a 'castle like structure' was my visit to Durham Cathedral. I hope this comes under the castle subject. I think the thing which made it so enjoyable for me was that I had researched the building quite a lot, and learned some of it's history. This certainly made it very thrilling anyhow. Somehow, I like to see cathedrals more than castle's. As mighty and brilliant as castle's may be, Cathedrals seem to have a personality some how. I love the large stained glass windows and the high ceilings and stone steps. They seem peaceful, and thoughtful, beautiful and magnificent. I'm very lucky to live so near Durham Cathedral, as I realise people come from all over the world to visit this spectacular place. I hope to visit this place again sometime.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:As we were getting carried away with castles on the World of Blyton thread I thought we might be good have a thread for them!
I'm looking forward to seeing three castles while I'm on holiday. Ludlow castle, Stokesay Castle and Clun castle being the other.
What are your favourite castles?
Hi Pippa,

Great thread :)!
I spent 3 weeks in Great Britain in May 1981 and was mostly impressed by Bodium Castle, Warkworth Castle (the daffodils on the hill on which the castle ruin is located were in full bloom) and Corfe Castle (at that point I still did not know about the connection between FF and Corfe, but I had seen a beautiful picture of Corfe in a coffee table book and decided to visit it together with several other castles on that trip).
Windsor Castle was my last British Castle so far (end of November 2008).
I tried to visit Scotney Old Castle in 1981, but it was not open to the public on that day :(.
Warwick Castle was way too expensive (25 £ per person), so we had to give up on that, the same goes for the Tower of London and Mme Tussaud's. Didn't visit the Tower before November 2008.
Colchester Castle in Essex (late November 2008) harbors their Roman Museum...fascinating.
In 1981 I also went to Alnwick Castle, but Bamburgh Castle (which is close by) was more impressive as it's built almost on the beach.
On that same vacation we missed Leeds Castle, it was already closed for the day and we couldn't stay until the next morning. But we were able to visit Lindisfarne/Holy Island (has anybody seen the Donald Pleasance film "Cul-de-sac" by Roman Polanski, it was filmed on Lindisfarne).
We did drive by Arundel Castle, but had no time for checking it out :(.
Does St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall count as a castle? It's very beautiful and worth a trip. When it's high tide, you go to the little island by boat, at low tide you can walk over on a stone path. On a postcard I noticed that you can see that stone path even at high tide from high up in the air.
Is Lanhydrock a castle or a mansion?
Not to forget (St.?) Catherine's Castle in Fowey and those two castles on Tresco Island, Isles of Scilly.
I'm sure I forgot several British castles, but these are the ones I can think of.
Went to the Loire, Indre and Cher river in France in 1990 and spent 2 weeks visiting castles, often 2 castles per day.

One castle that I want to visit very badly is Old Slains Castle since I read "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley:

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+sla ... 63&bih=797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And since I joined enidblyton.net several years ago and checked out the pictures of the other members, I would love to go to St. Andrews Castle in Scotland (my husband played golf at St. Andrews in May 2008...every golfers biggest dream!...but he had no idea that there is such an interesting castle to visit).

Being interested in Daphne DuMaurier's life, I also went in 1987 to the remains of that round castle in Cornwall, not too far from Fowey, but I forgot how it's called (Castle d'Or?).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

deepeabee wrote
I live just down the road from Chirk castle. It's a National Trust place and well worth a visit if you are North Wales way (or even north Shropshire).
I saw that last year - the location is superb.
Castles near us are Guildford (built by William 11 and extended by king Stephen) whose keep and tower you can climb, Lewes Castle, and Farnham Castle. Most of them near us are early ones built in the years following the conquest.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I think Chrissie is the champion castle visitor - I very much admire her.
Society Member