Lines you would never hear in Enid Blyton!

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Moonraker

Re: Lines you would never hear in Enid Blyton!

Post by Moonraker »

"Now look, kids," said Inspector Kenks, "Goon has complained about your shenanigans, so I am afraid it is now time to stop find-outing. Good as you are, you're a bunch of stuck-up kids, and the British Police Force has no time for you and your tricks."
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

'The name's Goon.Ern Goon, leader of the Find-Outers and two dogs.'
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

"I'm known as George but I won't answer you unless you call me Georgina".
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

"I just hate housework of any kind" wailed Ann.
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

“Oh, Mother!” said George, clasping her hands together, her eyes shining, “Oh, Mother – it’s beautiful!”
She gazed at the pale pink dress laid out ready on her bed.

Aunt Fanny beamed at her. “I’m so glad you like it, Georgina, dear. I almost went for the peach, but pink is so you, somehow!”

“Oh yes, it’s my all-time favourite colour – oooh!” George broke off with a squeal of excitement, and pounced with glee. “Matching shoes! And a ribbon for my hair! Oh, Mother!”

“I’ll leave you to try it on,” said Aunt Fanny, well pleased at her daughter’s reaction. “Don’t forget to come downstairs – your father wants a picture of you. He has the camera all ready.”

Left alone, George slipped off her old frock and carefully sashayed into her crisp new party dress, brushed her brown curls until they gleamed and then spent some time looking in the mirror, deciding the best way to wear the ribbon. She glanced across at the other bed to where her cousin was preoccupied in a game on her iPhone. Anne was wearing holey socks, and had her feet resting on the headboard. Her hair was a mass of fair tangles around her head, and there was a smudge on her face. George wrinkled her nose. Why was Anne such a tomboy? If only she liked dresses and dolls as much as George did, they would get on like a house on fire!

“You know,” she began tentatively, turning her head this way and that to examine the effect of the ribbon tied artistically over her left ear, “If you wanted to come to the dance, I’ve still got my blue dress.”

Anne gave a discouraging grunt, and did not look up. Undeterred, George went on. “It’s as good as new, and the colour would bring out your eyes, you know. You’d be so pretty if only you’d let me dress you up. We’d have so much fun – oh, do say yes, Anne!”

Anne shot up from her bed so fast that George took a startled step backwards, and nearly tripped over the hem of her dress.

“I’ve told you before,” Anne said icily, “I wouldn’t wear a silly old frock of yours if you paid me! I don’t like wearing dresses!” She stalked haughtily to the door, and turned to glare at her cousin. “And another thing – my name is not Anne!”

“What is it, then?” asked George, bewildered.

Anne tossed her hair back.

“It’s Andrew!” she said defiantly, and flounced out, slamming the door behind her.

(Does anybody know which is correct? Disencouraging or unencouraging? Neither look right to me! :? ) - Since edited to discouraging!!
Last edited by Spitfire on 31 Oct 2012, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

According to google chrome's spell checker neither of those words exist, so I'd think it should actually be discouraging.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

I love swimming- Gwendoline
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Of course it should!! Thanks, Fiona, I did google it but just had a mental block! :)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

“I don’t like it,” said George, frowning. “There’s something queer going on here. Why would those men meet up secretly in the middle of the night? And what are those weird lights from over the marsh? I vote that you and I snoop about a bit tonight Anne, and see what we can find out.”

“Wait a bit – you’re not going to leave us in the tent by ourselves, are you?” asked Dick, alarmed. “I shall be scared!”

“We can all go snooping,” said Julian. “I don’t see why we should be left out just because we’re boys!” He glared fiercely at George.

“Look, Ju,” she said firmly, “I know that you think you’re as good as a girl, but those men could be dangerous, and I’m not dragging you boys into danger. I’m in charge here, and you’ll toe the line, see?”

Julian looked mutinous, but relented when Dick slipped a pleading hand into his. “All right,” he grumbled, “I'll stay here and look after Dick. But I think you’re awfully mean!”
Sarah
Society Member

pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

'Diana,it's Barney on the phone for you!'...'Mother,would you tell him I'm busy please,we had him with us for a whole week last summer!'

Society Member
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

"What about Gwendoline Mary for Head-Girl?" pondered Miss Grayling. "Such a sweet girl! A little overlooked academically, perhaps, but at least she doesn't have Darrell's temper and Alicia's sarcastic ways!"

---

Mrs. Trotteville did so wish that Mr. Goon wouldn't keep making up stories about Fatty misbehaving in order to come and see her!

---

Mrs. Hilton glanced out of the drawing-room window, and brightened visibly. There was that charismatic, attractive, solidly-built policeman cycling up the driveway again!
Sarah
Society Member

Francis

Post by Francis »

"Oh Bill you're so stick-in-the-mud it's about time you learnt to live a little!
Go and have an adventure - and take the children with you" said Allie.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Mr Hilton was angry. He glared at the pompous, obese policeman with much anger.

"I am just about sick and tired of you calling on us, constable, always trying to bring Pip and Bets into disrepute. You are not fit to be an officer of the law. Your superior, Jenks, needs a stiff reprimand as well. He knows you are incompetent, yet he does nothing about it - just relies on our children to solve crimes instead, then basks in the glory of the crime solving figures."

Goon went purple and began to convulse. He fell to the ground and was unrousable. He was declared "dead on arrival" by the local doctor.

A large car drew up, and a burly policeman jumped out - the twinkle no longer in his eye.

"That's that," said Jenks, "the end of an era." He put his arm around Bets, who was crying inconsolably.

Who would would have thought that a much disliked person would have tears shed after his death?
Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

"Please don't make me go down that tunnel Anne; I've claustrophobia just thinking about it," begged George tearfully.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote:
"That's that," said Jenks, "the end of an era." He put his arm around Bets, who was crying inconsolably.

Who would would have thought that a much disliked person would have tears shed after his death?

Oooooh,that post made we feel quite sad! :cry:

Society Member