Lines you would never hear in Enid Blyton!

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
TheOriginalFive
Favourite book/series: Mr. Meddle/St. Clare's/Faraway Tree

Re: Lines you would never hear in Enid Blyton!

Post by TheOriginalFive »

"I'm so sorry for what I've done," said Prudence. "Carlotta, please forgive me."
Avatar model: Prudence "Norimi" Arnold.
I have a bad habit of hijacking character ideas I like.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Moonraker wrote:That s precisely why Agatha killed him [Poirot] off! She wrote this book in the 1940s, however, the publishers were having none of it, and only released the book in 1975, after many more Poirot's had been written.
     Well, I didn't know that was written so early. I really believed it was written in the late 1970s, just before publication, and I wondered if it signalled that Christie was planning to retire as a writer.
     In any case, I don't think for a writer to bump off their hero excludes the possibility of writing more stories. There is always the possibility of writing more stories that simply go back in time and take place between earlier books in the series. It may be usual for books in a series to take place in the order they're written; but there's no ironclad law which says that must always be the case.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

"Georgina, would you like to come with your mother and me on holiday to France?" asked Mr. Kirrin. "It would be so nice for us, but I am a little worried about Timothy being left behind."
     "Yes, Father - that sounds great," said George. "I will be happy to come with you and Mother to France, and I'm sure Timmy will survive for a month in the kennels. We mustn't let him get too spoiled, and it will do him good. Great idea!"
Last edited by MJE on 18 Dec 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Philip came running excitedly into the house, yelling at the top of his voice.
     "Jack! Jack! Come here."
     Jack looked up distractedly from what he was hunched over in front of him, with a touch of irritation. "Yes - what is it? Just another minute."
     "Go away, Kiki - you're distracting me," he snapped, flapping her out of the way with a hand.
     "Jack - I've just seen a Great Auk out there, up the hill," said Philip. "You've got to come right now - it may go away and never come back again."
     Jack heaved a sigh. "Oh, all right - just give me five minutes. I'm trying to install this app on my iPhone, and I'm nearly there. And it would be nice if I could just do a few more tweets, and also get my Facebook friends up to 10,000. Still, I guess I can spare a few minutes to come and see this Great Auk."
Last edited by MJE on 16 May 2015, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Pat/Isabel: Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play?
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Mehul
Favourite book/series: Secret Seven, Six Cousins and FFO
Favourite character: Peter, Roderick, Jack from SS, Susan etc

Post by Mehul »

I actually can imagine Janet or Bobby saying that.
SPORTY EEL was here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

"Oh, not another picnic!" sighed Lucy-Ann. "I always think food tastes so much nicer indoors!"
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
TheOriginalFive
Favourite book/series: Mr. Meddle/St. Clare's/Faraway Tree

Post by TheOriginalFive »

Sounds like something Anne Kirrin might say.

Meddle said, "No, Aunt Jemima, I really won't mess around or meddle anymore."
Avatar model: Prudence "Norimi" Arnold.
I have a bad habit of hijacking character ideas I like.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

TheOriginalFive wrote:Sounds like something Anne Kirrin might say.
It does a bit! The reason behind it was that in nearly every one of the Adventure series books, Lucy-Ann declares that food "tastes so much nicer outdoors", to the point where the other children predict when she's going to say it and finish the sentence for her. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Sadly, once the land had been sold off as the new "Enchanted Wood Estate", not even the Faraway Tree escaped the clear-felling.
Society Member

Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

It would be like Goodnight Sweetheart - Jo, Bessie and Fanny buy a shop on the site that lets them access the lands that used to visit the top of the Faraway Tree,
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

What a great idea Paul! (That was an enjoyable series, I think.)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Courtenay wrote:
TheOriginalFive wrote:Sounds like something Anne Kirrin might say.
It does a bit! The reason behind it was that in nearly every one of the Adventure series books, Lucy-Ann declares that food "tastes so much nicer outdoors", to the point where the other children predict when she's going to say it and finish the sentence for her. :wink:

She had a point though. A staple of childhood picnics, in my family, were Bovril sandwiches. You know, that black stuff that looks like engine oil. Oddly though, it always tasted fantastic al fresco. We never had it at any other time.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

burlingtonbertram wrote:A staple of childhood picnics, in my family, were Bovril sandwiches. You know, that black stuff that looks like engine oil. Oddly though, it always tasted fantastic al fresco. We never had it at any other time.
For some reason, it seems a lot of Australians have Marmite and Bovril mixed up in their heads. (No, not literally. :shock: :wink: ) What I mean is, when I've told certain people back there that I now like Marmite, they go "Ugh! Hasn't Marmite got meat in it?!" "No, that's Bovril..." I always explain.

Maybe it's because Vegemite starts with "vege", so they assume it's vegetarian, in obvious contrast to Marmite, which - er, at least starts with "M"... :roll: The two are actually much the same thing - extract of brewer's yeast - just at different levels of intensity. But I will confess I've never yet had the guts to try Bovril. If I ever do, I'll know to do it outdoors. :wink:
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:That was an enjoyable series, I think.
Don't you know if you enjoyed it? :|
Society Member