What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:PS Why are we discussing mince pies on two threads???? Anita must be away for the day!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 09#p313486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, I'm here! I've just been ironing, cooking, chatting with my son and his friend, shopping and walking by the sea...

It would make a muddle of the conversations if I combined the threads, as they've been going on at the same time. However, it will make vital mince pie information easier to find in the future if people continue discussing them in the dedicated thread! :)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Walking by the sea? Is your house near the sea? :o
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Been watching episode 1 of 'Gunpowder' - wow! I thought it was really well done, and of course doubly interesting as much of it is set (and filmed) not far from where I live, including Baddesley Clinton in Warwickshire and Coughton Court near Alcester, which had important associations with the plot.

http://www.gunpowder-plot.org/coughton.asp

A bit blood-thirsty - the 'hung drawn and quartered' scene was pretty graphic - but that's what happened in those days. Looking forward to episode 2 next week! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

sixret wrote:Walking by the sea? Is your house near the sea? :o
Yes, quite near. I have to walk for about half an hour to get to the sea.

I also watched episode 1 of Gunpowder, Rob. The "death by crushing" scene was harrowing too. Brutal times, and a reminder that the freedoms we enjoy today had to be fought for. It's interesting that Kit Harington, who plays Robert Catesby, is a direct descendant of Catesby on his mother's side.

Episodes 2 and 3 are already available on BBC iPlayer for those who prefer to "binge-watch"!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Been watching episode 1 of 'Gunpowder' - wow! I thought it was really well done, and of course doubly interesting as much of it is set (and filmed) not far from where I live, including Baddesley Clinton in Warwickshire and Coughton Court near Alcester, which had important associations with the plot.
Rob, does it show the priest holes in Baddesley Clinton?
I just talked about that with Ilsa and Francis a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately Kidderminster ist too much of a detour on our way from London to the Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland and Scotland next year.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

(Yes, I live in the USA. Not really by choice at the moment. I have seriously looked into the requirements to immigrate to the UK)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Been watching episode 1 of 'Gunpowder' - wow! I thought it was really well done, and of course doubly interesting as much of it is set (and filmed) not far from where I live, including Baddesley Clinton in Warwickshire and Coughton Court near Alcester, which had important associations with the plot.
Rob, does it show the priest holes in Baddesley Clinton?
I just talked about that with Ilsa and Francis a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately Kidderminster ist too much of a detour on our way from London to the Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland and Scotland next year.
I'm not sure how much they actually filmed at Baddesley Clinton - it didn't look the same inside, as the priestholes were panels in the wall, and at Baddesley Clinton they are reached by a ladder under the floor - but they definitely filmed some of the later scenes at Coughton Court, near Alcester. :-)

Baddesley Clinton -

Coughton Court -

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Baddesley Clinton and Coughton Court are both National Trust properties which I've visited. There are a few NT houses and gardens in the area, Packwood House, Hanbury Hall and Charlecote Park. All worth visiting.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

All very near to where I live (except Charlecote, which is about 20 miles). Funnily enough, the only one I've visted is Charlecote! :-D

When I was at school, many classes went on school trips to Coughton Court, because of its association with Guy Fawkes etc, but our year didn't go! :(
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 22 Oct 2017, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:.I'm not sure how much they actually filmed at Baddesley Clinton - it didn't look the same inside, as the priestholes were panels in the wall, and at Baddesley Clinton they are reached by a ladder under the floor - but they definitely filmed some of the later scenes at Coughton Court, near Alcester.
Rob, thank you for the lovely pics. 8)
How I wish that it would be closer to our destination...the UK is a lot larger than most people imagine.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

The pics are superb, Rob! I've not visited any of these places. They look fab. I must make the effort to pop along & visit them in the near future. :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:D As John said further up the post, they are both National Trust properties, and both well worth visiting, I believe (though oddly I haven't visited either of them!) I think that's often the way when we live near to places. Most of the National Trust and English Heritage places I've visited have been in Cornwall, devon, Wales, The Lake District etc, but not so many locally! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I just had to adjust the time setting for this board (again). I hope the EU will stop the nonsense of switching times two times a year. According to surveys 3/4 of the Germans are fed up with it, but the last government saw no point in discussing it at all.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
sixret wrote:Walking by the sea? Is your house near the sea? :o
Yes, quite near. I have to walk for about half an hour to get to the sea.
You are lucky. I have always wanted to live near sea so that I could walk or jog while enjoying its wind and nice scenery. :D

Another case of stumbling on the replied post by chance. :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wolfgang wrote:I hope the EU will stop the nonsense of switching times two times a year. According to surveys 3/4 of the Germans are fed up with it, but the last government saw no point in discussing it at all.
I hate the clocks changing too. Yesterday my daughter asked why we did it, so I looked it up, and apparently it was originally done to save candle usage as it made the most of the daylight hours. As we live in a 24/7 electricity guzzling age, I doubt people would alter their lifestyles much according to the clocks, so the reasoning doesn't seem relevant any more. I know there has been debate in the past about it being safer for school children going to/from school according to the light, but that's not uniform across the country, as I believe people living in the North wouldn't have the same experience as those living in Southern counties. Besides, certainly around here, schools have different start/finish times anyway.

Admittedly it was nice to have an extra hour in bed this morning, but when my children were little it made no difference - try telling a one year old that is hungry for its breakfast that it has to wait an hour! :)
Society Member