What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Darrell71 »

I'm glad we have no such things over here, and can peacefully let our clocks have a nice, steady life. :D
Rob Houghton wrote: I must admit, though I think I'm in a minority, I quite like the clocks going forward and back. Especially when they go forward, and we realise spring is here, with lighter evenings and longer days. It marks Summer for me, and I think I'd miss it if we didn't alter the clocks.
Ugh I HATE LIGHTER EVENINGS AND LONGER DAYS!!! It means unnecessarily high temperatures over here which is a waste of electricity, as in fans and ACs being used up, and a waste of time, as in you not being able to think a single sensible thing about anything and not being able to form a coherent thought or speech because the world is way too hot!!!! And I also have exams right now which is NOT a good combination and plus, we keep losing electricity, which means no fans or ACs, and that's just about the last straw!!! Wish I could fly to Russia right now. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sorry for the rant, but honestly, who cuts the electricity and then doesn't bring it back on for a whole day when they just have to reach over and flip a lever? You know who? People from the electricity dept over here! And ya know why? Because they can.

On a happier note, Happy Anniversary to both of you, Eddie! :D
You can call me Sunskriti!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for your anniversary wishes, Anita, Sixret and Sunskriti. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Sunskriti, if you plan on going to Russia you'll better go now or else you'll find yourself roasting three as well during the Russian Summer!!!! :lol: :wink:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EDDIE! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I hate the clocks going back into winter, as the nights then begin to draw in too quickly, and it's dark by 5.30pm!
Or at 4 p.m. in December. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Machupicchu14 wrote: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EDDIE! :D
Thank you, María Esther. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I hate the clocks going back into winter, as the nights then begin to draw in too quickly, and it's dark by 5.30pm!
Or at 4 p.m. in December. :roll:
Exactly! It's very annoying as you really can't do anything except going to school, because when school finishes it's already dark. That why I prefer spring and summer, when it gets dark at 10 pm and then the sunrise it's at 5 am. By the way, we are having lovely days here, with sun and blue skies... :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Sunskriti, if you plan on going to Russia you'll better go now or else you'll find yourself roasting three as well during the Russian Summer!!!! :lol: :wink:
Yeah lol I know. :lol: Still, currently it doesn't sound too bad.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just resting after spending a couple of hours in the village pub with the family. :)

Such a lovely sunny day here we sat in the pub's garden, but it was a bit chilly after an hour. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Here in Michigan, there has been serious talk about Daylight Savings Time in our State Congress (the State Legislature)

Everyone is asking "why the heck do we do this?" and nobody can come up with a good reason. In fact, there is evidence that car crashes and strokes go up in the couple of days after the clocks are set forward.

In Michigan, it is always the same time as it is in New York City. Some find this strange, because we are closer to Chicago then New York City, and folks in New York or otherwise on the east coast often assume we are in the same time as Chicago.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

We live in New England in MA, KEVP. As dog owners we actually glad that it's still light now when my husband returns from his office and we can walk Cody. When he leaves in the morning, it's just getting light outside. So the worst of winter seems to be over. Unless we get another blizzard...

I read a few weeks ago that US children are advised to go to bed 10 minutes earlier each night during the week before daylight savings time in order to get used to the time change.
This year I tried it myself and it worked quite well.

Didn't know about the car crashes and strokes. Is that really to be blamed on that one hour of sleep that we lose? Or on the fact that people have to drive when it's dark outside? :?:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I think it also happens when you gain 1h. As most being on Earth we're accustomed on 24h days, and if something changes this routine it has effects on us. As far as I seem to recall there're also negative effects on people who work on different shifts over weeks.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:...there're also negative effects on people who work on different shifts over weeks.
Yes, I've read several times that it impacts their sleep in a negative way. Even if you work the same night shift for years. Human beings are just not made for working at night (regardless if it's necessary or not).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Chrissie777 wrote:We live in New England in MA, KEVP. As dog owners we actually glad that it's still light now when my husband returns from his office and we can walk Cody. When he leaves in the morning, it's just getting light outside. So the worst of winter seems to be over. Unless we get another blizzard...

I read a few weeks ago that US children are advised to go to bed 10 minutes earlier each night during the week before daylight savings time in order to get used to the time change.
This year I tried it myself and it worked quite well.

Didn't know about the car crashes and strokes. Is that really to be blamed on that one hour of sleep that we lose? Or on the fact that people have to drive when it's dark outside? :?:
Does that really work? Going to bed 10 minutes earlier for the week before the clock changes? I suppose it adjusts your mind gradually so suddenly waking up and and its an hour later or earlier isn't such a shock to the system. I think you naturally do start to wake up earlier in the spring though, so you'd still likely be awake at an earlier time than you would in the winter months whether you change the clocks or not. I know I'm more awake in the mornings now than I was a month or so back :mrgreen: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Ice Maiden, I've actually slept an hour longer since the time change. Usually I'm wide awake around 2 a.m./3 a.m., most nights since the time change I slept until 4 a.m. which is a big improvement for an insomniac like me.
Unfortunately in May when the birds start chirping way too early that will wake me up. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh yes, almost forgot — Happy Anniversary, Eddie and Chick! :D :D :D Hope you've had a lovely special day.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)