What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Wolfgang »

I still believe in good old Paracelsus who stated that everything is a matter of the dose. What we should be aware of is the fact that if we still lived in the Stone Age era, intolerances for food would mean certain death due to the fact that it wasn't possible to waste any food because you had to take what you get. We should feel grateful that we are enabled to consume food of our choice (even though that's not matter of course everywhere on our planet).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Very true Wolfgang. Occasionally I get fed up with the restricted diet my family has to stick to, for example at the weekend we went out and thought on the spur of the moment it would be nice to have a cooked lunch there, rather than the boring sandwiches we'd brought with us. However there wasn't anything on the menu that was suitable, although later we were able to have a cup of coffee with soya milk and share a slice of gluten and dairy free cake. :D Most of the time though I'm thankful that I have been able to find out what the various members of my family need to avoid to gain optimum health, and that we haven't had to endure lots of hospital tests or take regular medication to keep us well.

I do wonder whether people in Stone Age would have had food intolerances though, as I think a lot of today's problems have been caused by pollution, chemicals and humans eating foods which aren't really suited to our regional requirements, ie, I can't eat oranges, but am I genetically not supposed to eat oranges anyway, as my DNA is British as far back as anyone can trace, and oranges aren't something we could naturally grow in this country? Plus I believe that a lot of today's ailments are simply around because we aren't dying of other things first. I'm 51, which would probably be classed as old in Stone Age times, that's assuming I'd lived that long and not died 10 years ago worn out by having 15 children!

In this country people rarely (if at all) die of TB, Diptheria, Polio, Whooping Cough, Measles etc., but in the past, was that nature's way of weeding out the weaker people who are now developing other ailments instead?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If I ate 70 slices of bread per week, I'd be as fat as a pig. :roll:
I still believe in good old Paracelsus who stated that everything is a matter of the dose.
I imagine that means everything in moderation! :shock:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Although I have several food allergies, or at least foods I can't eat for various reasons, I still don't go with the idea that these foods have always caused intolerances. Go back 50 years and hardly anyone had a food intolerance. Not just because they didn't know about them - they just didn't happen as frequently as nowadays. So there has to be some reason for that and I am 100% convinced its chemical fertilizers and pollution, interacting with enzymes in the food, rather than just the food itself. Our bodies fight against these chemicals and that creates the intolerance.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Rob Houghton wrote:We have always eaten meat only twice a week. My dad is almost a vegetarian, and my mom only ate meat very rarely because of this. However, she still died of cancer, lol. I can say 'lol' because this is why I truly believe what we eat or do has very little effect on whether we will die of cancer or not. My mom's mother died of the same cancer (stomach and liver) and my mom's grand mother also died of the same cancer. They were all 72 or 73. None of them were heavy drinkers, none of them smoked.

Most of our sea fish is now full of micro particles of plastic, and they say we ingest a lot of it when we eat sea food...so I'm rather glad I hardly eat any cod and never eat crab, lobster, mussels, prawns etc because I'm allergic to them. :-) I'm sure there has to be something we are ALL eating more of which causes cancer - because people generally eat less meat than in the old days, eat less sugar, and also smoke less...yet cancer rates are rising.
My dad has a theory. Radiowaves are dangerous, we were always taught never to stand below pylons because of it and children are told not to use mobile phones because of the waves emitted. Years ago there were nowhere near the amounts of technology around that there is now but these days they are everywhere, constantly in the air, radiowaves all around us 24/7 with wireless this and wireless that and what's on the rise? Our houses, cars, offices, streets, cities, they're all teeming with appliances that work by transmitting things wirelessly through electromagnetic waves. As he says, nearly all of those radio presenters, musicians and tv stars who died of cancer in 2016 had spent a lifetime of being in a room all day using microphones and headphones.....certainly made me wonder. I don't personally believe that cancer rates rising has much to do with food, a little maybe but not that much. I believe it's far more to do with our 21st century technology that is inescapable as millions of gadgets search on a constant basis for millions of signals all over the world in every part of the air around us. No wonder the powers that be would rather us think it was what we eat though, imagine the chaos if someone looked into it...
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

IceMaiden wrote:My dad has a theory. Radiowaves are dangerous, we were always taught never to stand below pylons because of it and children are told not to use mobile phones because of the waves emitted. Years ago there were nowhere near the amounts of technology around that there is now but these days they are everywhere, constantly in the air, radiowaves all around us 24/7 with wireless this and wireless that and what's on the rise? Our houses, cars, offices, streets, cities, they're all teeming with appliances that work by transmitting things wirelessly through electromagnetic waves. As he says, nearly all of those radio presenters, musicians and tv stars who died of cancer in 2016 had spent a lifetime of being in a room all day using microphones and headphones.....certainly made me wonder.
That's why I refuse to use cell phones. I've read several times some 10+ years ago that they might cause brain tumors.
Also I appreciate my privacy and hate the idea of being available 24/7.
At 7 p.m. I turn off our land line and turn it back on in the morning.
Especially those annoying political calls and many surveys after 8 p.m. can be avoided that way. :roll:
When I grew up it was a sign of bad manners to call people after 8 p.m., but I guess manners no longer matter in the world we live in.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Chrissie777 wrote:When I grew up it was a sign of bad manners to call people after 8 p.m., but I guess manners no longer matter in the world we live in.
That's a very interesting piece of etiquette. I hadn't heard it before, although as a rule I wouldn't normally ring anyone after 9pm, simply because I know some people like to go to bed from about 9.30 onwards. Here in the UK, calls from a land line always used to be a lot more expensive before 6pm, but I'm not quite sure what the situation is now, there doesn't seem to be a set tariff, it depends on what 'package' a person has signed up for. In my house, local calls after 7pm are free, so if I followed the 8pm rule, that would only give me an hour to make any calls I needed. However I try and remember the pattern of the person I am ringing, so for example I'd avoid ringing my sister around her childrens' bedtimes, whereas other people I know are still eating their evening meal at around 7pm, but don't go to bed until 11pm, so I know I could quite safely ring them at 10pm.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, you have to choose your time according to whether you think the other person will be available. I used to go by the 9pm rule, unless a pre-arranged time had been agreed. Our telephone package means free calls, within the UK, at any time as long as they don't last more than 59 minutes. Go over the hour and the whole time is then charged for.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote: Go over the hour and the whole time is then charged for.
I've learned something! I didn't realise that, I thought you just started paying from the 61st minute.

I remember reading that when cars were first invented, it was thought that your brain would implode at high speeds. Also travelling in an aircraft could cause a brain tumour.

We never phone anyone after 9pm.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit that if anyone phoned me after 10pm I would think it was bad news!

Mind you, a friend of mine phoned me at midnight the other week - because he knew I'd still be up then, lol! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:I remember reading that when cars were first invented, it was thought that your brain would implode at high speeds.
I've been in a couple of car journeys where I thought that might happen anyway. :lol:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Haha! Old sins cast l o n g shadows! :oops:
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Moonraker wrote:
Daisy wrote: Go over the hour and the whole time is then charged for.
I've learned something! I didn't realise that, I thought you just started paying from the 61st minute.
Sounds like BT - if it is I can confirm that it used to be that they only charged for the excess time but not anymore! :roll:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:Haha! Old sins cast l o n g shadows! :oops:
So sorry Nigel, I've only just twigged what you meant. Of course I didn't mean you at all, and many apologies if you thought I was. :wink: I was thinking of youngsters in my youth, such as a friend's brother who took me for a spin in his Ford Capri and revved up to go over a humped backed bridge - I honestly believe that the car took off for a second or two before landing on the other side of it.

I'm still extremely grateful to you for giving me and Mum a lift to Ditton Pastures (or wherever it was we went) so that we could continue to enjoy what turned out to be the last Enid Blyton Day. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Haha! Old sins cast l o n g shadows! :oops:
So sorry Nigel, I've only just twigged what you meant. Of course I didn't mean you at all, and many apologies if you thought I was. :wink: I was thinking of youngsters in my youth, such as a friend's brother who took me for a spin in his Ford Capri and revved up to go over a humped backed bridge - I honestly believe that the car took off for a second or two before landing on the other side of it.
yes, reminds me of a car journey we had after a funeral, being driven by my Great-Aunt's brother-in-law (who was in his late 60's at the time) - travelling down the motorway, the speedometer hitting 90 mph and up. Scary!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member