What did everyone get for Christmas?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

What did everyone get for Christmas?

Post by Icecream342 »

Just interested! I got: A new laptop, MONEY!!!, Books,cds, a bathrobe, shower smellystuff andother stuff! I bought a camera today with my christmas money!
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: What did everyone get for Christmas?

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow, Santa Claus was very generous to you indeed Icey. :D I got boring adult stuff; A shirt, a sweater, some smelly stuffs and some money. Nobody buys me books anymore as they never know what to get me that I don't already have.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

When I was a boy, his name was Father Christmas - never, *never* Santa Claus.
     Maybe he's been Santa Claus in the U.S. for a long time - I don't know - but what's with all this "Santa Claus" business now in places like Australia and Britain? A trend to resist, in my opinion.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I got a few Blyton 'old' books. A jigsaw of a scene from the 60's, and a new phone. I love Christmas, and it wouldn't worry me if I got nothing at all. I like giving out the gifts and seeing the grandchildren's faces as they open each parcel. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I got plenty of books and some DVDs mostly, as well as a couple of CDs and some jewellery. I have to say I was spoiled rotten, as after opening all the gifts from my parents, sister and a few friends I then got about the same amount again from my boyfriend and his family!

On a side note, he has been 'Santa Claus' for a long time here. Probably something we've picked up for the US (there are quite a few films from the US with 'Santa Claus' in the title). I don't think there is a right or wrong thing to call him, as many countries have their own name for the same man, Santa, Santa Claus, St Nicholas, Sinterklass, Father Christmas.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

He's always been Father Christmas to me. I also never use 'Xmas' either.

As for presents, I did very well considering there there are only handful of people who buy for me. I got several DVDs, my favourite perfume, some sweets, a book and the best surprise of all - a hooded top. My daughters and I all have dancing lessons at a local dancing school and they sell a hoodie with the school logo on it. They aren't cheap though, so I put it on my list, not really expecting anyone to fork out that much. However someone did, so now can wear it to my dancing lessons. :D

The worst present in our house was for my son. He's saved up his birthday money last month and I finally gave in and let him spend it on a wii, he then got 2 games, and various accessories to go with it for Christmas. Now, not only can't I watch the TV, it's also difficult to move in our rather small lounge without getting wacked by an arm trying to throw a discus etc. :roll: I wonder if the novelty will wear off?
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

MJE wrote on Dec 27th,2011 -
"........ what's with all this "Santa Claus" business now in places like Australia and Britain? A trend to resist, in my opinion."

"What a list of questions!" said Santa Claus sipping his cocoa. "I'd better tell you my own story, I think. Then you'll know all about me.

"Oh yes," said the children, together, and Benny poked the fire to make a good blaze.

"Well, to begin with, my name is not really Santa Claus,” said Santa Claus. "My real name is Nicholas - Saint Nicholas."

"How was it that you were called Santa Claus then?" said Ann, puzzled.

"I can tell you that," said Santa Claus taking another biscuit. "The Dutch people have always called me 'San Nicolaas' which is Dutch for St. Nicholas. Well, years and years ago, Dutchmen went to America, and there my name San Nicolaas was pronounced by the Americans as 'Santa Claus.' Say 'San Nicolaas' quickly over and over again to yourselves and you will see how easily it becomes 'Santa Claus.' "

"San Nicolaas, San Nicolaas, Sanicolaas, Sanitclaas, Santa Claus," said the children, and saw for themselves exactly how the name Saint Nicholas or San Nicolaas became so easily the familiar one of Santa Claus.

"Yes, San Nicolaas, I see how you got your present name!" said Benny, pleased. "I never knew that before."

"Lots of words get changed through the years in that way," said Santa Claus. "I like my name of Santa Claus."

"So do I," said Ann. "It suits you. Are you really a Saint?" .....................

(The Christmas Book. c-1944)

Resist it?

Santa likes it, Ann likes it, and Enid Blyton seems happy with it, so whaddaya reckon?
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the explanation tiq. I still prefer Father Christmas myself, probably because that's what I was brought up with.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I got a far range of things to be honest. Books were in short supply for me this year as well. Though I think my favourite present is the one I got from Fiona. :)

I did very well for a Christmas that was supposed to be small between family as it's my 21st next year and according to my parents the big presents are for then. I did get an IOU from the parents for a car though! Most exciting! :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I got the same thing for Christmas this year that I got last year! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I think my favourite present is the one I got from Fiona. :)
Are we allowed to know what it was? Sorry, ignore me if I'm being nosey!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I got the same thing for Christmas this year that I got last year! :lol:
Ditto what Anita said to Pippa-Stef!
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I think my favourite present is the one I got from Fiona. :)
Are we allowed to know what it was? Sorry, ignore me if I'm being nosey!
Katharine wrote: Ditto what Anita said to Pippa-Stef!
I'll post a picture in the morning cause I don't think I'll be able to describe it very well, but Fiona got me a mug- one of the plastic ones where you can insert a picture- and put a picture of the 90s Famous Five in it with "Stef's Mug" on the side. :D It's AMAZING! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

tiq wrote:MJE wrote on Dec 27th,2011 -
"........ what's with all this "Santa Claus" business now in places like Australia and Britain? A trend to resist, in my opinion."

"What a list of questions!" said Santa Claus
(The Christmas Book. c-1944)

Resist it?

Santa likes it, Ann likes it, and Enid Blyton seems happy with it, so whaddaya reckon?
     Well - I certainly don't know that Enid Blyton book - and I never came across "Santa Claus" in all my younger years here in Australia. Then, at some later time I don't quite recall, it seemed to creep in, probably from American T.V. programs. I don't want to sound anti-American - and I'm not anti-American - but I really don't see any need for us to import American usages on a large scale, displacing what was there before - any more than I expect Americans to start using Australian or British terms. I assume most things of this sort as used in Australia (until relatively recently at least) originally came from Britain, which I regard as more of a natural ancestor to Australian culture than America.
     And of course, if you go right back in history, probably everything we use was originally something else - so, if you go back that far, perhaps "Father Christmas" is almost as new-fangled as "Santa Claus", and a true purist might insist only on "Saint Nicholas" or "San Nicolaas", or maybe even further back. However, most of the time we don't go back that far. But I would resist many new usages that uncritically get accepted on a large scale from a single other source, such as T.V. programs.
     That instance from Enid Blyton makes me wonder whether "Santa Claus" was a highly-localized thing in Australia and Britain - at least until more recently. Maybe quite comon in some areas, and completely unknown in others. I note that the character in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was always "Father Christmas", and nothing else.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Stef. The mug sounds like an ideal present for you!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member