Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

burlingtonbertram wrote:Lord Sinderby creates a scene at a very fancy dinner.
Again?! We've seen several dinners in recent episodes at which someone or other has created a scene. I feel sorry for the cooks in the kitchen, who put a lot of effort into making a delicious meal which they hope people will enjoy!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sorry to lower the tone,but we always see them eating and drinking gargantuan sumptuous amounts ...but like Enid Blyton is there ever any reference to the lavatory in Downton?

I take it the house would have had indoor flushing toilets then and they wouldn't have had to use an outside wc etc??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

That's the theme of the Christmas special; Molesley is promoted (demoted?) to Groom Of The Stool :)

18th century gentlemen could relieve themselves in a pot on the sideboard and continue drinking; I assume not in mixed company though.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Downton Abbey 2014!!

Can you believe there's a preview of the Earl of Grantham & his wife in their marital chamber on youtube!! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cybx84Qj6w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before "Downton Abbey," Elizabeth McGovern and Hugh Bonneville played husband and wife in a (super) short 2008 British half-hour comedy, "Freezing."

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

THE BLURB OFF THE BACK OF THE DVD FOR THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL:

In the Downton Abbey 2014 Christmas Special its the grouse season and Rose’s father-in-law Lord Sinderby has rented Brancaster Castle in Northumberland and invited the Crawleys to a shooting party. While good sport is enjoyed, a butler with an axe to grind and a scandalous secret threaten to undermine the holiday. Surprises are in store as the families become better acquainted with each other and some new faces arrive on the scene.

Meanwhile the servants hold the fort back at Downton and unlikely later-life romances abound. As Anna faces an uncertain future behind bars, Bates takes drastic measures in a bid to clear her name. The seasons change and another Christmas is enjoyed at Downton Abbey. As the family and their servants revel in the festivities, there will be romance, a heart-breaking farewell, sad memories of loved ones lost and a joyful reunion...

ITVs own press release

It's grouse shooting season and Rose’s father-in-law, Lord Sinderby, has rented out Brancaster Castle in Northumberland and invited the Crawley family to a shooting party. While good sport is enjoyed, Stowell (Armstrong) has an axe to grind and a scandalous secret threatens to undermine the holiday. Surprises are in store as the families become better acquainted with each other and some new faces arrive on the scene.

Meanwhile the servants hold the fort back at Downton. As Anna faces an uncertain future behind bars, Bates takes drastic measures in a bid to clear her name. Baxter and Molesley are busy on a joint plan and Carson and Mrs Hughes consider a business venture.

Alnwick Castle, in Northumberland, was used as the location for Brancaster Castle. Production spent two weeks in Northumberland and filmed in the spectacular interior rooms as well as the incredible Hulne Abbey and shooting on the estate.

The episode will feature returning stars Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern, Jim Carter, Penelope Wilton, Phyllis Logan, Laura Carmichael, Lily James, Allen Leech, Brendan Coyle, Joanne Froggatt, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Robert James-Collier, Kevin Doyle, Raquel Cassidy, Sue Johnston, Jeremy Swift, Douglas Reith, Fifi Hart and Zac and Oliver Barker.

Making a return to Downton Abbey are James Faulkner and Penny Downie as Lord and Lady Sinderby, along with their son and Lady Rose’s husband Matt Barber as Atticus Aldridge. Rade Sherbedgia will also reprise his role as Prince Kuragin and Michael Fox will play footman Andy.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

An entire season is almost over and this thread has no more posts? This is more scandalous than Lady Mary's love life! :shock:

Oh Downton. I'm so glad for how everyone finally put Mary in her place, and really really mad that she - as usual - gets her happiness before everyone else. I used to like her in series one, now I am irritated every time she comes on screen, although I must admit that I shed a tear when she planted a kiss on Matthew's grave.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, that was a very sad moment, Ming. I think a lot of her 'unpleasantness' was probably due to the fact that her happiness had been shattered with the loss of Matthew. I had turned her bitter inside.

It took her grandmother to make her realize that love wins through and she mustn't deprive herself of love because of the past. Very good writing I think! And a fantastic last episode. Fingers crossed for the Christmas one. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ming wrote:An entire season is almost over and this thread has no more posts? This is more scandalous than Lady Mary's love life! :shock:
**SPOILER WARNING FOR SERIES 6**

I didn't feel I had much to say about Series 6 as it aired. The characters, setting and atmosphere were fabulous as always, but a number of initially promising storylines just fizzled out and left me disappointed.

I did enjoy the drama of last night's episode though - even though some things felt rushed.

Throughout this series (and the last) I was horrified at the treatment of the Drewes, especially as their plight was highlighted by the much more sympathetic treatment given to Mr. Mason. Like Mr. Drewe, Mr. Mason was a tenant farmer on a big estate and his family had also lived in the same cottage for decades. Everyone seemed so sorry for Mr. Mason when he lost his farm due to the sale of the Darnley estate, yet he was coming to the end of his working life anyway and may well have been granted a place in an almshouse if he had nowhere else to go. Mr. Drewe on the other hand still had years of working life ahead of him and youngsters to support, and a move for him and his family was far more disruptive. He had taken on Lady Edith's daughter (Marigold) as a massive favour, even though he had to keep the truth about her parentage a secret from his own wife and children. If I remember correctly, his wife believed the child was an orphan and accepted her as one of her own, and the Drewe children had come to look upon Marigold as a sibling. They had expected to have her as part of their family forever. Not only was the little girl snatched by Lady Edith, causing the family immeasurable grief, but the Drewes ended up having to vacate their long-term home and go to live miles away, leaving behind all their friends and everything they'd known. The children would have to settle into a new school, Mr. Drewe would have to start a new job and Mrs. Drewe would be more isolated than ever while still grieving for her lost daughter. Meanwhile, the Downton Abbey folk rejoiced as Mr. Mason quite happily took over the Drewes' farm without a care!
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I think a lot of her [Lady Mary's] 'unpleasantness' was probably due to the fact that her happiness had been shattered with the loss of Matthew. It had turned her bitter inside.
Yes, and she must also have felt bitter that no one had trusted her with the truth about Marigold. Everyone else seemed to have been let into the secret long ago. I always thought it was a mistake to leave Lady Mary out.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A heart-warming and thoroughly enjoyable ending to Downton Abbey. Even more pairings than a Malcolm Saville novel, but that was only to be expected! We've come to know the main characters so well over the years - I'm going to miss them!

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I agree entirely with all you say, Anita: a thoroughly enjoyable ending to an excellent series. Chick and I were especially pleased that it ended happily for Lady Edith. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Fabulous last episode. I'm really pleased Lady Edith at last found happiness. It had to come I think. And I'm so pleased that Mr Barrow was going to be made into the butler of Downton. As soon as Mr Carson was saying he would have to give notice, I said to hubby, Mr Barrow will take his place now happily.

It been wonderful to see how this series has progressed and how the people have become so real. Not only will we all miss it, but I'm sure the actors themselves will too.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Every loose end was tied firmly. Everything ended ridiculously happily. There was more sweetness in this episode than in a ton of saccharin. I even wondered if Matthew Crawley would rise from the dead.

I loved it.

It has a complete re-run starting next week on ITV Encore.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes I wholeheartedly agree.
I almost expected to hear the strains of Marvin Gaye's 'Lets Get It On' in the background,as everyone from Mrs Patmore & Daisy downstairs right through to Lady Edith etc etc upstairs most certainly was 'gettin' it on'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNKgc3XOdQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

A lovely picture of Father & Daughter together.Anything unusual about it??

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good one, Pete. :lol: I only noticed the water bottle on the mantelpiece because you asked if there was anything unusual about the picture.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member